What's new

Decision against straight razors

Perhaps you should get a Feather AC type razor to learn to shave with while you learn to hone. Learning to do both at the same time can and often is quite difficult.

I strongly advise against that.

My apologies for contradicting you, but while one doesn’t need to worry about stropping and honing, Feather AC razors are more aggressive, less forgiving, and harder to learn than a well honed straight razor.
Especially the first few shaves after inserting a new blade will be harsh and I am now in the habit of palm-stropping a new blade in my Feather ACs to quicker reach the peak performance level of a blade.

In general, it is my opinion that the myth that shavettes and razors like the Feather AC are straight razors on training wheels is just that: a myth.
Feather ACs are too expensive and shavettes do not really duplicate the feel and heft of a straight razor.

In case of a Feather AC, the disadvantage is that if you should come to the conclusion that this type of razor is not for you you probably have already spent quite a bit of money (that you could have better spent on a more gentle straight razor or premium safety razor).

B.
Now on the other hand the Weck Sextoblade with the guard "would " be considered or generally Is considered like a straight razor with training wheels....

I shaved for 15 years with a straight. Then was inspired to try a DE for overnight trips and since then I’ve not yet gone back to a straight. Maybe I will one day when I have more time to be able to devote to it.

I get such good shaves and satisfaction from DEs I’m more than happy.

My grandfather was a barber and always used a straight razor. He taught me how to shave with and sharpen/strop a straight and strangely I used a straight exclusively when I was 17-18 for a few years (35 years ago or so).

I am honestly just too lazy now. I have a nice Feather Kamisori that I use from time to time but I just have no interest in maintaining straights.

I generally use DE or SE razors and I’m good with that.

I understand the allure of SRs and the shaves can be great, but I just couldn’t be bothered. 🤷🏻‍♂️

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I strongly advise against that.

My apologies for contradicting you, but while one doesn’t need to worry about stropping and honing, Feather AC razors are more aggressive, less forgiving, and harder to learn than a well honed straight razor.
Especially the first few shaves after inserting a new blade will be harsh and I am now in the habit of palm-stropping a new blade in my Feather ACs to quicker reach the peak performance level of a blade.

In general, it is my opinion that the myth that shavettes and razors like the Feather AC are straight razors on training wheels is just that: a myth.
Feather ACs are too expensive and shavettes do not really duplicate the feel and heft of a straight razor.

In case of a Feather AC, the disadvantage is that if you should come to the conclusion that this type of razor is not for you you probably have already spent quite a bit of money (that you could have better spent on a more gentle straight razor or premium safety razor).

B.
No apology necessary. I tried to start with a half blade razor and ended up looking like I had been in a cat fight so your point is well taken. I was thinking of the feather blades with a somehow protective edge. The ideal is to get a straight razor that has been PROPERLY honed of course but that process may put off many who want to jump in. I only use my shavette on rare occasions and I do get excellent shaves but then I already know how to shave. Commitment is the hard part for most I suppose.

I went straight into the deep end, from cartridge to straight razor. Thus I have never used a DE and have nothing to compare to. All I can say is that the control I get from the blade has basically ruled out even trying anything else. Since I have a beard, the ability to see the edge and remove individual hairs is priceless. However, when I started I was clean shaven and the feeling of a straight was just too good. I can see the convenience factor of a DE, especially when it comes to maintenance, but I have no real interest in trying it out to be honest. Just to share a reverse story.

I have used a shavette and a straight razor for some months only. Somehow I am stuck using 2 de razors this last month. I try to use the same technique that a shavette forces you with the De razor and I get quality shaves. I find skin stretching very helpful.

I shaved for 15 years with a straight. Then was inspired to try a DE for overnight trips and since then I’ve not yet gone back to a straight. Maybe I will one day when I have more time to be able to devote to it.

I get such good shaves and satisfaction from DEs I’m more than happy.
So can you describe the reason why you did not return to straights? Good shaves in the sense of milder?

I may have missed this in earlier posts, but I would highly recommend learning to shave with both hands. Not as tricky as it sounds, and I think leads to a lot fewer awkward positions.
Needs some training but I'm now able to shave with my left hand, at least some partially...

Since sept 23rd, my first shave with a straight razor, I only shaved once with a DE. All other days, except when I had to pause due to cuts, I used straight razors. Today I have honed for the very first time and used this razors. My technique is far from being perfect, but I get almost a BBS each time.. so I'm staying at this road, which does not mean I'm selling off all my DE razors.. you never know :cool:

So can you describe the reason why you did not return to straights? Good shaves in the sense of milder?
Time was a big factor. The second was that when I discovered DEs through here I found I could get a shave only marginally less close and a fraction less satisfying. In fact whilst the ritual of the shave is a tad less pleasant than using a straight, I find the hobby itself offers the same or more things I find enjoyable - the learning curve, dialling in what works for me in technique and material acquisition in the pursuit and thought of the most enjoyable shave.

I've never picked up a straight razor, but I did try a couple different kinds of shavettes. The traditional kind I just could not find a way to comfortably hold one, thus controlling the blade. I've looked at YouTube videos, read articles, even asked around here. I just could not come to grips (pun intended) with the flopping swinging handle. Before giving up, I bought an AC clone from some Wish type site and some Feather AC blades. That made such a difference! I was able to actually use that! Maybe it was a lifetime of using knives, a quarter of a lifetime professionally, but a small fixed blade that's stupid scary sharp is actually very comfortable and intuitive for me.

For a couple months I shaved with that exclusively (unless I REALLY needed a good close shave like for weddings or court) and I did improve some. But a full third of my shaves still required that bay rum to cauterize weepers. And that was using it only for WTG passes. And since then I've gone on blood thinners. I still have the AC clone in my den and a half pack of blades for it with the thinking maybe someday.

I very much like the idea of open blade shaving. I think I'd dig the maintenance aspect of it, I might even learn enough to keep my knives stupid scary sharp. Less waste appeals to that little bit of hippie that rubbed of from my wife. The minimalist in me likes the idea of straights. I just need to get out of my own head to learn to master a real straight. I'm just not there yet.

I've never picked up a straight razor, but I did try a couple different kinds of shavettes. The traditional kind I just could not find a way to comfortably hold one, thus controlling the blade. I've looked at YouTube videos, read articles, even asked around here. I just could not come to grips (pun intended) with the flopping swinging handle. Before giving up, I bought an AC clone from some Wish type site and some Feather AC blades. That made such a difference! I was able to actually use that! Maybe it was a lifetime of using knives, a quarter of a lifetime professionally, but a small fixed blade that's stupid scary sharp is actually very comfortable and intuitive for me.

For a couple months I shaved with that exclusively (unless I REALLY needed a good close shave like for weddings or court) and I did improve some. But a full third of my shaves still required that bay rum to cauterize weepers. And that was using it only for WTG passes. And since then I've gone on blood thinners. I still have the AC clone in my den and a half pack of blades for it with the thinking maybe someday.

I very much like the idea of open blade shaving. I think I'd dig the maintenance aspect of it, I might even learn enough to keep my knives stupid scary sharp. Less waste appeals to that little bit of hippie that rubbed of from my wife. The minimalist in me likes the idea of straights. I just need to get out of my own head to learn to master a real straight. I'm just not there yet.
Careful with blood thinners!

I’d rather send my kids to college than pay for all the equipment required for a straight razor shave.

Shaving with straights is pocket change...

I bought a used straight on a straight razor forum a couple of years ago. I gave it a few strokes with my right hand. I am right handed. Then switched to my left hand. Wow that was never gonna happen! Put it away and haven't touched it since.

Top Bottom