What's new

Decision against straight razors

Hi all,

I'm posting my question here at the Safety Razors Forum and not at the Straight Razors section because the people concerned should be at this side.

I'm trying to master straight razor shaving now for about a month and I wonder how many before just quit trying to climb the learning curve and switched back to safety razors. And second question, why?

I find the learning curve hard to climb and nick myself very badly so that I ask myself if it is really worth it. I know that I have to complete my 100 shaves before giving a answer for me.

So what do you think?

Thanks,

Sami

Hi Sami

I've given a shavette a couple of tries. Not entirely the same, I know. But even though I can pull it off (kinda) I think it required too much attention and absorbed too much of my time. I flirt with the thought of using a straight, but every morning shave, after about one pass my daughter storms into the bathroom demanding attention and I remember why I haven't pushed through yet.

Maybe one day... When I'm old and retired, but for now... Pass!

Hi Sami

I've given a shavette a couple of tries. Not entirely the same, I know. But even though I can pull it off (kinda) I think it required too much attention and absorbed too much of my time. I flirt with the thought of using a straight, but every morning shave, after about one pass my daughter storms into the bathroom demanding attention and I remember why I haven't pushed through yet.

Maybe one day... When I'm old and retired, but for now... Pass!
I teached my daughter never ever disturb me when I trying to shave with a straight razor 😅 But still I nicked myself so badly that it will leave a scar I assume.

I have never used a straight razor and never (seriously) considered buying one based entirely on the maintenance aspect of it.
I have shaved with a shavette and I agree, it takes some skill and practice. I have no doubt that a dedicated person with some motor coordination skills can master it. I would say give it 100 shaves and don't be a quitter, now that you started.
However, you will still have to deal with the maintenance, which was the biggest issue for me.

I was convinced at one point that a straight was the way to go and was about to pull the trigger, when a forum member that I trust and respect told me that after extensively using both a straight and DEs for years the straight results might be a tad better but not worth the extra effort.

That ended my quest.

Straight razor shaving requires a tremendous amount of patience. The end result is that it could and sometimes does deliver a closer shave at the expense of more time. Maybe for some that’s a good thing I suppose since we’re enjoying it. Your friends, family, and yourself will think it’s badass.

I have never used a straight razor and never (seriously) considered buying one based entirely on the maintenance aspect of it.
I have shaved with a shavette and I agree, it takes some skill and practice. I have no doubt that a dedicated person with some motor coordination skills can master it. I would say give it 100 shaves and don't be a quitter, now that you started.
However, you will still have to deal with the maintenance, which was the biggest issue for me.
I will give it 100 shaves after investing some amount in the equipment. Maintenance is indeed part of the fun even if I never tried to hone a razor. Experienced users told me that I can use my 5 razors for a year or so before needing to hone them.

If you want some hope :)

I cut myself up pretty badly over four or five shaves between around shaves 10-15, to the point where I thought I might just give it up out of embarassment. Since then, I'm close to 100 shaves now, I have only sustained the odd nick/weeper - no worse than a rushed DE shave. So, if you do decide to keep at it, it will become something you look back on as a rite of passage...

Also, it helps if you really focus on ensuring that the toe of the blade is always higher than the heel, especially with razors with sharp points!

After 20 years of failed attempts, I recently gave up. Also learned a valuable lesson: adapt or die...trying.:biggrin1:
I had the idea of using a straight razor now for some years. Now after the first attempts I ask myself will I like it so much that I could sell all my Gillette's..

I was convinced at one point that a straight was the way to go and was about to pull the trigger, when a forum member that I trust and respect told me that after extensively using both a straight and DEs for years the straight results might be a tad better but not worth the extra effort.

That ended my quest.
Right now I never reached a BBS with a straight razor. No problem at all with a DE razor.

No harm in trying, or deciding it’s not for you. I started and stopped way back when, wasn’t informed enough or prepared to commit, that’s all. When I was ready again years later, things fell into place. Timing is everything.
If I quit I will not look back. That's the good part.

If you want some hope :)

I cut myself up pretty badly over four or five shaves between around shaves 10-15, to the point where I thought I might just give it up out of embarassment. Since then, I'm close to 100 shaves now, I have only sustained the odd nick/weeper - no worse than a rushed DE shave. So, if you do decide to keep at it, it will become something you look back on as a rite of passage...

Also, it helps if you really focus on ensuring that the toe of the blade is always higher than the heel, especially with razors with sharp points!
My worst cut was with the Wunderbar... Even that but did not leave a scar or something. This one is only visible if you know that there is something. So not really worth mentioning. But the good think is it reminds me to be careful.

Hi all,

I'm posting my question here at the Safety Razors Forum and not at the Straight Razors section because the people concerned should be at this side.

I'm trying to master straight razor shaving now for about a month and I wonder how many before just quit trying to climb the learning curve and switched back to safety razors. And second question, why?

I find the learning curve hard to climb and nick myself very badly so that I ask myself if it is really worth it. I know that I have to complete my 100 shaves before giving a answer for me.

So what do you think?

Thanks,

Sami
No, you don't have to complete 100 shaves before deciding. That's just the internet hivemind speaking. If it's something you feel you must do then you press on until you learn. If you're a guy like me, I have zero interest in that method of shaving. Never been curious, never would even consider it. Not when I can shave, easily, effectively, and safely with a good DE. Don't be pressured by forums to do something you're not comfortable with. Besides, I don't have any testosterone left anyway... ;)

Last edited:
No, you don't have to complete 100 shaves before deciding. That's just the internet hivemind speaking. If it's something you feel you must do then you press on until you learn. If you're a guy like me, I have zero interest in that method of shaving. Never been curious, never would even consider it. Not when I can shave, easily, effectively, and safely with a good DE. Don't be pressured by forums to do something you're not comfortable with. Besides, I don't have any testosterone left anyway... ;)
The 100 shaves are just a milestone for me. I don't want to give up something before not really understanding/mastering it. So far my shaves were not the closest but (when not nicking myself) very irritation free. It feels a bit more healthy for the skin.

That ended my quest.

In terms of effort and results,
I agree with your trusted and respected forum member.

I used to grow a beard every Winter.
It was about 10% as effective as a covid mask for keeping my face warm.
When it was long enough to get pinned to my shoulder
by a seatbelt, was the time to shave it off.

But since I started shaving with straights,
I don't grow the Winter beard anymore,
I would rather shave instead.

I can get a DFS in the shower just using bar soap
without a mirror in almost no time at all
using a 1940's style Supper Speed.

But if I have the time, I like to take my time
with the whole straight razor ritual.
BBS or bust.
The fact that I'm old enough to have time on my hands
has everything to do with it.

The kid in these pictures inspects my shaves twice a week.

The 100 shaves are just a milestone for me. I don't want to give up something before not really understanding/mastering it. So far my shaves were not the closest but (when not nicking myself) very irritation free. It feels a bit more healthy for the skin.
OK, if you say so. Not my face you're shaving. Good luck with the experiment. FWIW, I haven't gotten irritation from a DE razor in 45 years or more. I do admit to the occasional weeper and nick (the latter when I may have lost focus and been out of the moment) but I am not the least bit convinced a straight can get you a better shave than a safety razor in experienced hands. I would put my shaves up against anyone using any equipment.

Top Bottom