What's new

Decision against straight razors

Go easy. Stop and use a DE at any time, even during the middle of a shave. It's not a race.
Master the simple parts first, then move on to harder parts slowly. Took me about 125 shaves to get feeling competent.

Switched to replaceable blade straights back in September of 2019. I will never go back to old school straights. I will also never go back to DE or SE unless a physical or health problem of some kind makes using my straights impossible. I love mu straights and I love straight razor shaving. When I was at about 50 shaves with old school straights I wanted to tear my hair out I was so frustrated.

So I would say 'carry on' but not with concern or with any thought that something 'has to be done.'
I'm not chasing for BBS anymore. DFS is absolutely fine for me and that's what I'm able to reach. I will carry on and will see how it develops.

I use both - shave my face with open blade razor (mostly shavette) and shave my head with DE.
For me it's just for fun, there's no question of attribution over there.

I absolutely love the versatility and mechanical design of the DE, as well as the simplicity and sheerness of the open blade and the masculinity that the edge of the blade brings; I would never give up on one of these.
"masculinity" :cool: I just have to think of my traditional circumcision. was also with a straight razor back in the 70s :)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
how many before just quit trying to climb the learning curve and switched back to safety razors. And second question, why?

I put my straight razor and barber razors away for now.

The straight razor mostly because I’m rotten at sharpening razors. The barber razors because I like to shave ATG from start to finish. Will probably not want to use the straight razor when I can avoid ruining edges for the same reason.

This time I will try to avoid the rabbit hole...

Which one? Hones? Honing methods? Strops? Polishes? Storing/displaying methods? Technique hunting? Your financially dangerous proximity to Latvia and Austria?

Which one? Hones? Honing methods? Strops? Polishes? Storing/displaying methods? Technique hunting? Your financially dangerous proximity to Latvia and Austria?
Collecting straight razors. But you are right, there are many collecting honing stones... But I can fully understand the joy honing a razor and then using it...

Although my preferred shaving method is using a straight, it's not for everyone.

There is a lot of practice required to get consistent shaves, and 100 shaves is often quoted. It isn't a set number. Some people pick it up much quicker and some don't pick it up at all.

If straights are not working for you, and you don't want to put the time and effort in to them, that's fine. There is no shame in using other methods. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Although my preferred shaving method is using a straight, it's not for everyone.

There is a lot of practice required to get consistent shaves, and 100 shaves is often quoted. It isn't a set number. Some people pick it up much quicker and some don't pick it up at all.

If straights are not working for you, and you don't want to put the time and effort in to them, that's fine. There is no shame in using other methods. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I'm still making my first steps. Time will show.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We need @Mr. Shavington to post his meme.. .what they tell you need... and what you end up with. I looked for it for too long and can't seem to find it.

I have my grandfather's SR and two barber razors but I haven't used them...and most likely won't. I'm getting the best shaves of my life and having lots of fun with AC SE and DE razors. I'm sure I could master the art of straight razor shaving but the maintenance is daunting. I don't tend to do things half hearted so I know I'd end up with a large collection of natural and synthetic stones... and a few strops.. not to mention, lots of straight razors themselves.

I'm still making my first steps. Time will show.
Also with straights is the maintenance factor. Personally I don't really like honing, until I start. It's one of those things I try to put off until it has to be done, then I enjoy the process.

Probably the reason I have more razors than I care to admit is I can go longer between honing sessions as I have more razors ready to be used.

We need @Mr. Shavington to post his meme.. .what they tell you need... and what you end up with. I looked for it for too long and can't seem to find it.

I have my grandfather's SR and two barber razors but I haven't used them...and most likely won't. I'm getting the best shaves of my life and having lots of fun with AC SE and DE razors. I'm sure I could master the art of straight razor shaving but the maintenance is daunting. I don't tend to do things half hearted so I know I'd end up with a large collection of natural and synthetic stones... and a few strops.. not to mention, lots of straight razors themselves.
This one?

3411F0B4-B9E9-46B7-B2D6-86F6A7501C7E.jpeg

If the main cause of concern, or main decision making factor is nicking your skin this might be easy to solve. Much like an enclosed blade, how we use it produces positive and negative results. When you have the red stuff appear during a DE shave you have an 'a-ha' moment and know how it happened. With an open blade the physical contact is a bit different, but the slight adjustment to technique is much the same. At 51 I have more red lines on my face than ever before because I have to re-learn stretching aging and changing skin. When I truly pay close enough attention it goes a lot better.
I hope you find what works best for you.

I’m sure you will try your barber razors some day. It’s actually a very pleasant way to shave (using a guarded blade). The learning curve isn’t so hard - after three or four goes you’ll probably feel comfortable enough to do at least the full first pass - and it’s still enjoyable doing a little bit more each time and getting better at it.

Failing that, do try it for shaving the hairs on the back of your neck. It feels nice for that job and it’s easy since the hair is light and it’s a firm, flat surface.

If the main cause of concern, or main decision making factor is nicking your skin this might be easy to solve. Much like an enclosed blade, how we use it produces positive and negative results. When you have the red stuff appear during a DE shave you have an 'a-ha' moment and know how it happened. With an open blade the physical contact is a bit different, but the slight adjustment to technique is much the same. At 51 I have more red lines on my face than ever before because I have to re-learn stretching aging and changing skin. When I truly pay close enough attention it goes a lot better.
I hope you find what works best for you.
In my first steps of straight razor shaving I have learned a lot of things that will improve my DE shaves. Such as more intensively stretching or using different angles when shaving WTG and ATG.

JFK once expressed the sentiment that “We Do These Things Not Because They Are Easy But Because They Are Hard.” and he might as well have referred to shaving with a straight razor.

I have about 70 of them, but right now I shave with a Ti Tatara Masamune Nodachi because it gives me tremendous satisfaction to wield a light-weight (titanium) safety razor with greater precision than any other safety razor before and get results that are second to none.
Since the proliferation of safety razors with tight manufacturing tolerances, positive blade exposure and sufficient blade gap the old saying that straight razor shaves are closer than safety razor shaves has ceased to be true. With the aforementioned safety razors, the blade’s edge glides over the skin just as with a straight razor, with the only exception that the effective angle is more controlled (by top and bottom plate) than with a straight.

You can reach acceptable proficiency with safety razors in just a few months.
With straight razors, you need years to become truly proficient.
Forget what you heard about 100 shaves. That is to get to an acceptable level.
If you want to become truly proficient, you might as well multiply that number by three - and preferably shave with straights on a daily basis and not just on weekends.

I suspect that almost all shavers who embarked on that arduous straight shaving journey may have asked themselves at one stage or another (usually after a sub-par shave or when they failed to maintain a keen edge) whether it is worth to continue. (I did.) As mentioned above, you can no longer hope for a closer shave than you could with some of the best safety razors.

So what is there that drives people to shave with a straight razor?
IMO, the challenge to master something that is undoubtedly not easy to master - which brings us back to what JFK said.

And that takes a lot of persistence and resilience.

Good luck on your journey - whatever direction you may choose…

B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom