What's new

Deciding on the main blade system...

Well, after trying different blade types, there is still a dilema which one to choose as primary one. This is my opinion so far :

1.DE blades. This is the most affordable blade system. You pay a lot on razors if Rad kicks you in.

2.Injector razors. Blade are a bit expensive. Razors very affordable. The most easy razor to use. I would suggest it to any new beginner.

3. Gem razors. Nice choice of affordable high quality razors. Limited choice of blade types. Fantastic shaves after you get familiar to the razors.

4. Personna Hair Shaper blades. You need to use a Weck shavette, preferably with a guard. I couldn't master it at all,unless using the guard.

5. Artist club razor. I have a razor and I have to try it more to create an opinion. Several blade options and some expensive razors too.

6. Straight razors. Very intriguing to try it. The initial cost and the required tools and skills have been a hindrance for me to try it yet.

If I were to choose my main system, today I would say the gem based ones. You can get 4 or 5 vintage razors plus 100 gem blades under 100 usd and have it done.

If I would want to have the thoughtless shaving experience, I would choose injectors. A schick M adjustable razor would be suffice for decades.

De blades are everywhere but not so fun unless you get and try new razors but that is pointless to me.

Maybe I should try AC and straight razors to decide for good.

Never thought to be in such position.Strange hobby.

Anyone in the same boat as above or am I just over thinking?

De blades are everywhere but not so fun unless you get and try new razors but that is pointless to me.

I don't see how the availability of DE blades are only "fun" if you get new razors. Sure, lots of people succumb to RAD, but they are not solely prompted by the blade type. People here collect straights, injectors, etc. And there are those of us that don't actually collect razors (or brushes, or soaps, etc)., we just are happy with what we have.

Yes, you are overthinking it. It's just shaving; it takes up half an hour of your day, and there are far more pressing issues you can turn your mind to. :)

For me, it boils down to how much time do I have on a particular day when I need to shave.

If I just need a quick shave an don't have much time, I go with my Parker Adjustable injector razor. DE shaving is what I do if I have a little more time and want a closer shave than what I usually get with the injector razor. If I have lots of time, I will pull out one of my Artist Club style razors (Feather, Kai, CJB, IBC, etc) and work on building skill with that style of shaving. I am too lazy (so far) to try a real straight razor as I don't see myself stropping that often. I have not tried my GEM razor that was given me. It needs a lot of cleanup before I use it.

Sometimes, I just get bored with one type of razor and focus on another for a while.

Pick the one you are most interested in at the moment and go for it. If you get bored, just switch to the other types in your collection. I think that the technique you learn with one system can make you a better shaver in another system.

Enjoy the journey!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm not sure where it is written that one has to have a primary blade choice. I've tried and continue to use, most of the major ones as well as a couple one offs - like the hair shaper blade in the Weck used yesterday .. I just pick one when I go to shave. Ill admit the real straights get little exercise but come out once in a while, as does an AC-bladed shavette, DE, Schicks, GEM style .. even a Feather in the Autostrop sporadically. If having choices isn't fun the Schicks probably are the easiest as you've pointed out

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@albsat, I settled on straight razors, both traditional and shavette style. I do however favour traditional. Why, is because I now enjoy my shaves so much more getting the closest results with no irritation or skin damage. It took time to get there, about 30 daily SR shaves, but was well worth the effort.

Your reasons for not trying SR shaving holds some merit with your suggested budget of about USD 100 and unwillingness to learn a new skill. As a minimum, it would cost about USD 100 to set yourself up with what you need for traditional SR shaving and that would only give you just one SR, not like four Gems and 100 blades. About USD 100 for traditional SR shaving would get you a; new shave-ready SR, new strop and new honing gear. All you need for decades of shaving pleasure.

The cheapest form of shaving is the shavette type. USD 20 could buy you four (why?) shavettes and 200 half-blades. You also don't have to learn about stropping and blade edge maintenance. The shave learning curve is however a bit steeper than traditional SR shaving. Shavettes can be less forgiving than traditional SR's.

With either style of SR shaving, you still need to overcome your initial preconceived but ill-founded fear of SR shaving. I understand your fear. I still have a fear of "safety" razors, not being able to see the edge on my skin.

Last edited:
I’ve recently simplified my den in terms of blade formats.

My main format is the straight razor. I’ve gotten very comfortable using these now and for me they provide the most comfortable shave. SR is my daily driver.

I’ve ditched the AC blade format and Blackland Vector. It’s a great razor but it’s just one more type of blades to keep in stock. Also the blades are very expensive, difficult to find and I question how long they will continue to be available for. It was nice to try SE but it never got much traction in my rotation.

I’ve kept two DE’s a Timeless and a Henson. I use the Henson for below the neck shaving in the shower. Brilliant razor. DE’s are cheap and widely available. I don’t see this format being discontinued any time soon.

I find AC blade razors the most enjoyable to use while rewarding good technique. They are also the fastest shave for me. This goes for both safety razor and open blade. They are not mindless unless your skin is tougher than mine. Injectors are second because although they are mindless to use, and technique is less important, they take longer for me to shave with for some reason I can't explain. Strangely, DE razors are a two headed beast for me; they frequently leave patches or they tear up my neck without warning. I actually don't even consider them for in a hurry shaving, straight razors are faster and more effective for me. Oh GEM, love my Bullet Tip, hate the blades. Once or twice a month is enough for me.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

Yes and yes.

You love using your GEM Micromatic Open Comb loaded with Personna GEM PTFE-coated blades and the shave it gives you, right?

That is your main blade system.

What, exactly, do you believe you’d gain from using another system?

For me, it boils down to how much time do I have on a particular day when I need to shave.

If I just need a quick shave an don't have much time, I go with my Parker Adjustable injector razor. DE shaving is what I do if I have a little more time and want a closer shave than what I usually get with the injector razor. If I have lots of time, I will pull out one of my Artist Club style razors (Feather, Kai, CJB, IBC, etc) and work on building skill with that style of shaving. I am too lazy (so far) to try a real straight razor as I don't see myself stropping that often. I have not tried my GEM razor that was given me. It needs a lot of cleanup before I use it.

Sometimes, I just get bored with one type of razor and focus on another for a while.

Pick the one you are most interested in at the moment and go for it. If you get bored, just switch to the other types in your collection. I think that the technique you learn with one system can make you a better shaver in another system.

Enjoy the journey!
This has been my thinking so far. I have now 15 razors of 5 different balde typologies.

I will try AC and straight razor this year and let's see where it goes.

Then I should decide and thin my collection.

Yes and yes.

You love using your GEM Micromatic Open Comb loaded with Personna GEM PTFE-coated blades and the shave it gives you, right?

That is your main blade system.

What, exactly, do you believe you’d gain from using another system?
I don't know. The strange thing is that I couldn't enjoy a Gem system, 2 years ago. Now due to the technique improved, I find it a very good affordable shaving system.

N
I’ve recently simplified my den in terms of blade formats.

My main format is the straight razor. I’ve gotten very comfortable using these now and for me they provide the most comfortable shave. SR is my daily driver.

I’ve ditched the AC blade format and Blackland Vector. It’s a great razor but it’s just one more type of blades to keep in stock. Also the blades are very expensive, difficult to find and I question how long they will continue to be available for. It was nice to try SE but it never got much traction in my rotation.

I’ve kept two DE’s a Timeless and a Henson. I use the Henson for below the neck shaving in the shower. Brilliant razor. DE’s are cheap and widely available. I don’t see this format being discontinued any time soon.
Nice approach!

@albsat, I settled on straight razors, both traditional and shavette style. I do however favour traditional. Why, is because I now enjoy my shaves so much more getting the closest results with no irritation or skin damage. It took time to get there, about 30 daily SR shaves, but was well worth the effort.

Your reasons for not trying SR shaving holds some merit with your suggested budget of about USD 100 and unwillingness to learn a new skill. As a minimum, it would cost about USD 100 to set yourself up with what you need for traditional SR shaving and that would only give you just one SR, not like four Gems and 100 blades. About USD 100 for traditional SR shaving would get you a; new shave-ready SR, new strop and new honing gear. All you need for decades of shaving pleasure.

The cheapest form of shaving is the shavette type. USD 20 could buy you four (why?) shavettes and 200 half-blades. You also don't have to learn about stropping and blade edge maintenance. The shave learning curve is however a bit steeper than traditional SR shaving. Shavettes can be less forgiving than traditional SR's.

With either style of SR shaving, you still need to overcome your initial preconceived but ill-founded fear of SR shaving. I understand your fear. I still have a fear of "safety" razors, not being able to see the edge on my skin.
Love your description.

I have always been temped by straight razors. I have used temporarily shavettes and I have one in my den, but I have not used it for a year at least.

I can find a finishing stone and a paddle strop for 100 euros if I would go for it. Then I would need a shave ready straight razor. I am just concerned that it could be a journey that has a dark side of a lot of items to buy. I am still thinking that I should try this system. Maybe I should try an AC shavette.

Enjoy the journey!
Great advice.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have a couple of straight razors and refundable single edge razors for novelty purposes. I find blade maintenance tedious though, and much prefer double edge razors for regular shaving. Double edge is simpler, quicker, easier, and gives me better results.

As to other disposable blade systems, I'm not interested in exploring them. My 600+ double edged blades will last me 20+ years of close and comfortable shaves. There's no incentive for me to start looking for different razors that take more expensive, less common blades, and having to go back into the learning curve, only to end up back where I already am.

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me I really try/tried to narrow it down to a single type/brand that I like the best, just to focus my spending a bit, but also I don't know until I tried. If I had to pick, it would be de and GEM blades for me. Artist club is nice, and I have a few ac razors (I used to like/still like ac razors), but I just found that GEM razors agree/I like with more. Even for DE blades, I found one I like (the gsb blades) and just stick to those. Now I found Nacet blades, and I have a few little tucks I will save at the end of my current gsb sleeve to see if I will switch over in the future, but I will keep it to one brand.

"If I were to choose my main system, today I would say the gem based ones. You can get 4 or 5 vintage razors plus 100 gem blades under 100 usd and have it done."

"The strange thing is that I couldn't enjoy a Gem system, 2 years ago. Now due to the technique improved, I find it a very good affordable shaving system."

"...but I just found that GEM razors agree/I like with more."

Reading this makes me happy and excited. I have my first GEM razors and blades on the way and will be heading into a lengthy Gentlemanly Restraint soon. The learning curve may be a steep one for me but I'm ready with the styptic pencil!

And I recall that years before becoming a member, when I was a full-time B&B reader, I would often see the GEM/SE system recommended to beginners.

My opinion is that you should stick to what you own and are satisfied with and stop thinking about the rest. Everything can bring pleasure to your shaving routine and in the long run, you can save money with all systems, provided you don't look elsewhere. If you wish to develop a different skillset, a shavette and even more so, a straight razor can provide an interesting challenge.

Anyone is still entitled to his opinions, but there's a reason if DE blades still command like 99,9% of market share in wet shaving, after one-hundred-and-twenty years. There's no need to reinvent blades just like there's no need to reinvent spaghetti.

Top Bottom