What's new

Deciding on the main blade system...

Don't worry man. Your comments will be appreciated by someone who reads them. I have about 50 shaves with shavette this year (not counting the ones some years before). Your comments are spot on.

I remember your preference on Feather Ss and if I am not wrong you have the same razor as me, which is the Kai clone. I find that ac razor clone a nice shaver also. Recently I am enjoying my De shavette very much and I am getting very nice shaves from it!
I am now up to four replaceable blade straights.

Feather SS. The first one I got.

Mythus (Kai clone). My second one.

Kai Kasho woody. My third.

Feather SR. My most recent acquisition.

At this point I'm not sure the SS is the best of the lot. The SR is a lot like a real straight and it is growing on me. The Kai Kasho is perhaps the best of the lot. It is kind of halfway between an SS and the SR; it has a bump like the SS, but it is about half the size. Provides a bit of protection but also allows for a more old-school straight-razor like shave.

Ultimately, I use them all the same amount, pretty much, and enjoy them all, even though they are all slightly different. For a beginner, the SS is still probably best, but at this point if I had to give up either the SS or the Kasho, I would probably part with the SS.

Schick is the easiest way to achieve excellent results but at $4 for 7 (Chick) blades it is pricey (even if I can get 12 shaves per blade). With a DE I get 3-5 shaves per blade of almost equal quality for $8 (Sharks) to $10 (Lord Plats) per 100.

Have to give the nod to DE on price but Schick on shave quality. RAD can be prevented with a little discipline.

Have no experience with other SE’s and, as I live in the modern world, I would never consider straight shaving.

I am now up to four replaceable blade straights.

Feather SS. The first one I got.

Mythus (Kai clone). My second one.

Kai Kasho woody. My third.

Feather SR. My most recent acquisition.

At this point I'm not sure the SS is the best of the lot. The SR is a lot like a real straight and it is growing on me. The Kai Kasho is perhaps the best of the lot. It is kind of halfway between an SS and the SR; it has a bump like the SS, but it is about half the size. Provides a bit of protection but also allows for a more old-school straight-razor like shave.

Ultimately, I use them all the same amount, pretty much, and enjoy them all, even though they are all slightly different. For a beginner, the SS is still probably best, but at this point if I had to give up either the SS or the Kasho, I would probably part with the SS.
Everyone seems to like Feather SR...

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Still wish I could quickly & confidently get a good edge on a straight - I had a couple shaves back when from a Lynn Abrams honed razor that were great .. but can't reconcile sending a razor off somewhere for an edge, and have been unable so far to replicate that experience with my own paws

I'm fine with DE razors. It's literally impossible to get a better shave than a BBS and I get one of those each day. After over 50 years of shaving and being a knife guy, I still don't understand the fascination for straights but a certain segment of the wet shaving crowd think we DE shavers are nuts and don't know what we're missing. ;) I can live with that. :)

I'm fine with DE razors. It's literally impossible to get a better shave than a BBS and I get one of those each day. After over 50 years of shaving and being a knife guy, I still don't understand the fascination for straights but a certain segment of the wet shaving crowd think we DE shavers are nuts and don't know what we're missing. ;) I can live with that. :)
Straight razor shaving is just another level of zen for me, although I use replaceable blade straights now. There is something almost magical about open blade shaving. It offers complete control.

Straight razor shaving is just another level of zen for me, although I use replaceable blade straights now. There is something almost magical about open blade shaving. It offers complete control.
I had a buddy from Spain and we'd talk about wet shaving on occasion. He'd always chide me and say, "CCS, if you aren't shaving with a cutthroat, you aren't shaving like a man!" This guy originally came to America to herd sheep and lived out of one of those shepherd wagons you see out west before he settled down. Great guy, wonderful baker, and sadly died way too soon from a car accident that also took his wife.

Top Bottom