What's new

Deceptive packaging

I just bought a jar of Art of Shaving cream and decanted it. Turns out that the actual volume of the jar is only one-half the apparent volume. The inside has a false bottom two-thirds down and the sides are conical. Is this deceptive packaging courtesy of Procter and Gamble or did Art of Shaving use it before they were taken over?

I have 3 jars on my counter. Each clearly reads 5 fl. oz. in a font that is as big as any other on the packaging.
I do wish they put more in there, though. It's as fine a cream as I've used.

they did this before. I had an AOS lemon cream I finished about a year ago and I had dropped it at one point and split the interior cup. kind of irked me

It's a common double wall jar used in cosmetics used for lotions and creams. The curved bottoms are so the product can be easily removed with hands and finger. The AOS jar shave cream is marketed as brush or brushless cream.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yes it's a double wall cosmetic jar. Very common, and it does not mean that there is less product than is listed.

Cheers, Steve

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I just bought a jar of Art of Shaving cream and decanted it. Turns out that the actual volume of the jar is only one-half the apparent volume. The inside has a false bottom two-thirds down and the sides are conical. Is this deceptive packaging courtesy of Procter and Gamble or did Art of Shaving use it before they were taken over?

AFAIK, this is the same jar as the pre P&G cream. Not sure what's "deceptive", 5 oz. is 5 oz. no matter the size of the container.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Somewhat akin to air-filled oversized bags of potato chips.

Kind of, but there's actually a practical reason for the chip bags. It's referred to as "slack fill", and the 'puffy bag' is to protect the chips from rough handling and breakage. Also the bags are filled with nitrogen to prolong freshness & protect from going rancid.

Great conversation fodder for your next cocktail party...

Last edited:
Kind of, but there's actually a reason for the chip bags. It's referred to as "slack fill", and the 'puffy bag' is to protect the chips from rough handling and breakage. Also the bags are filled with nitrogen to prolong freshness & protect from going rancid.

Your avatar is my favorite on this site.

Similar to the Xpec container. I don't like the container either as they take up space, but I love the creams.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Similar to the Xpec container. I don't like the container either as they take up space, but I love the creams.

T&S is similar. Their plastic tub is deeper than most and the soap comes up only about 1/2 to the top. I don't feel "jipped" by this, actually it's practical, leaving plenty of room for loading the brush.

Kind of, but there's actually a practical reason...
True, but there’s sincerity and there’s pretext.

Many a consumer subconsciously/erroneously associates size of packaging with amount of actual product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom