What's new

Decent scuttle?

What is the cost of the G12 seconds?

E-mail response from GP:
We have G12 and G20 seconds available in every pattern. The cost for the G12 is $30.00 and the G20 is $35.00 plus $11.00 shipping within the U.S. We would need to know the pattern, shipping address, and payment information to place the order. Hope this was helpful.

I wasn`t sold on the idea of a scuttle (face-latherer) but I wanted to try one out so what I did was I bought a plain white ramekin (ceramic) large enough for me to build lather in and made my own scuttle. I used a large bowl, put it in the sink, put the ramekin in it and filled both with hot water. Shower. I dumped the water out of the ramekin, built my later in it and placed it back in the bowl (fresh warm water). Did the job. Not as pretty as a DB but it will get you up and running while you wait.

Check out Michal Yoresh on Etsy. She has shaving mugs that are in your price range, she also has scuttles but they are out side your price limit. I like to fill my sink with hot water and place my mug or bowl in the hot water for an improvised scuttle. Does it work as well as a nice scuttle? No, but it gets the job done.

Has anyone purchased a seconds from Georgetown? How big of an imperfection on it is there? Maybe even possibly pictures? :D

check Steve Woodhead scuttles on eBay, very well priced. I intend on purchasing one :)

If you cannot afford a DB then Steve's will most likely be too expensive too. Also, shipping from the UK is high compared to US.

Please Google "shave scuttle" on Etsy. A number of vendors offer scuttles that may be within budget.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Got my G12 second yesterday in the mail. If there is a imperfection my eye can't find it. I used it this morning and all I can say is WOW.

I had a G20 and sold it....this is a huge scuttle. I love my G12. Nice bowl size and shape.

You can get Georgetown Pottery G20 "seconds" for $35 plus shipping. They also have G12 seconds as well. From what I have read on other threads they are small cosmetic imperfections that do not effect the performance. Contact them directly, via phone or email, to inquire about availability.

I am trying to decided between G20 or G12. Anyone have any insight which one might be the better choice?

I had a G20 and sold it....this is a huge scuttle. I love my G12. Nice bowl size and shape.

Is it too big in your opinion? The "seconds" price is only a $5 difference. In my head it goes like this, for $5 why not get the bigger one. But would you say that's not the case? Stick with the g12?

Is it too big in your opinion? The "seconds" price is only a $5 difference. In my head it goes like this, for $5 why not get the bigger one. But would you say that's not the case? Stick with the g12?
I think it's another YMMV thing. I bought my son a G20 for Christmas and got to take it for a few test drives. For me, it's the perfect size. Yes, it's very big, but the size of the lather bowl, itself, is just about the same size as the lather bowls I use. The rest of the size is necessary to hold the water to keep the lather warm. Anything smaller wouldn't work as well for me. JMO.

I have the G20 and vine that it suits me fine. Only issue is that it is heavy, so you want to make certain that you have a good grip on it when handling it. Works great and keeps the lather warm.

I dont think the larger size will bother me. The g12 holds 12 ozs of hot water and the g20 holds 20 ozs of hot water......20 ozs of hot water will stay warm longer than 12 ozs is the way I see it. The inside "lather" bowls are not that much different, its the outer part that is bigger and allows for more hot water. I think I'll be satisfied with the g20 just fine.

Danny

After reading this and other threads on B&B, I got a severe case of scuttle envy. I had to pull the trigger on a G12 second Hamada & Persimmion. Can't wait to get this and give it a run.

I have been using a Walmart soup mug that worked well but it was a project to heat and keep warm. It also got water everywhere.

Last edited:
I bought the Georgetown G20. it came in four days. The glaze is awesome and the knobs and ridges in the bowl are a plus. It is big but it keeps the lather very warm even up to four passes.

Patrick

Top Bottom