What's new

Decent Coffee Grinder?

Can anyone suggest a non-blade grinder for under $50? I want a more consistent grind and less mess. I'm ready to retire my blade grinder as a spice mill.

Can anyone suggest a non-blade grinder for under $50? I want a more consistent grind and less mess. I'm ready to retire my blade grinder as a spice mill.

You can pick-up a perfectly good, previously-owned, manually-operated, conical-burr grinder within your price range on eBay (I did); just search for "coffee grinders".

I use the Gaggia MDF.. it's a nice burr grinder with a wide range of grind settings. It's relatively easy to clean the Bean Holder and Burrs with Quickrice, but ground coffee tends to get in the dosing mechanism and the doser doesn't always clear all of the ground coffee out of the tray. The noise level and footprint is about average.
-\Visdom

You can pick-up a perfectly good, previously-owned, manually-operated, conical-burr grinder within your price range on eBay (I did); just search for "coffee grinders".

How well does a manual grinder work? I don't mind putting in some elbow grease, but if its hard to turn that probably won't be a good thing at 7 in the morning.

I've also got one of these manual grinders for turkish coffee, but it takes about half an hour of furious spinning to get a 4 cup pot out of it.

proxy.php

I've also got one of these manual grinders for turkish coffee, but it takes about half an hour of furious spinning to get a 4 cup pot out of it.

proxy.php

I have one of those too. For my Brikka 2-shot pot, it's fine; two measures of beans take about 2-1/2 minutes or less to grind. But for more coffee, I wouldn't use it. The nice thing about those grinders (besides the price and heavy duty construction) is that once you set the grind fineness, it stays put.

The reviews on the PC grinder were pretty brutal.

How well does a manual grinder work? I don't mind putting in some elbow grease, but if its hard to turn that probably won't be a good thing at 7 in the morning.

Mine works quite well. All I do is place three SCAA scoops of roasted beans into the hopper, close the lid, and turn the crank in a clockwise direction for about 70-90 revolutions (peaberry takes fewer, MNEB takes more). No "elbow grease" required. Adjust the grind to suit your brewing method.

Top Bottom