What's new

🐗 Decemboar. Yup. It’s a thing! 🐗

Prep : warm water
Razor : Parker SRX / Fatip Grande OC
Brush : Omega boar (81054??)
Blade : Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus / Astra Superior Platinum
Soap : Razorock Irish Countryside
After shave : Denim Original
Looks like this Omega has had it's best time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
ArkoStein, to go mitt der svine!

Today's shave will be in a couple hours. Looking forward to it simply because I find these occasional "lock ins" fun. By "lock ins" I mean restricting some aspect of shaving to a certain item or similar. I always learn something via that process.
Same!

FarmerTan

Prep : warm water
Razor : Parker SRX / Fatip Grande OC
Brush : Omega boar (81054??)
Blade : Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus / Astra Superior Platinum
Soap : Razorock Irish Countryside
After shave : Denim Original
Looks like this Omega has had it's best time.
How do you like "Irish Countryside" scent wise?

FarmerTan

I wanted to know the answer to "How do you like "Irish Countryside" scent wise?" also.
Oh. Okay then. What is taking that @abj so LOOOOONG do ya think? While we're waiting.... maybe he can tell us if he has and LOOOOOOOVES the aftershave (if there is such a thing!)

Used this Zenith unbleached on my face for the first time today. It's been wet maybe a dozen times. It's a monster. Feels softer than even my Shavemac badgers. Lathered without shaking any water out of after soaking and loaded for two minutes. It absorbs a huge amount of water. View attachment 1189506View attachment 1189507Enough lather for 10 passes. This is the brush for those pucks you'd like to get rid of quickly.
My unbleached Zenith also absorbs a huge amount of water. It may be one reason I feel like I'm not getting max performance from it yet. I have probably 10 lathers on mine, which is a factor, too. I am going to try not shaking out my brush at all next time I use it and loading with a very wet brush. It creates great lather, and it is soft when I get it splayed, but it seems to take more work to do that than I'd prefer.

I find it hard to break in brushes by using them. Every day of bad lather I feel robbed of a day. I hand lather for a week or two.
I usually do about 3-4 hand lathers to take some of the initial funk out - and this one had plenty of it - before using it. I don't mind breaking in by using - I like the way that boars change over time - and this one is making good lather. I just wish it felt a little nicer and splayed a little more. Maybe I'll do a couple of additional break-in palm lathers before using it again.

I looked that one up and was suprised it was unbleached. I like the look. I wonder if that is going to be a different feeling than from a bleached brush.

I haven't ever used an unbleached Zenith, but I've read that they do feel quite different. This is a really unique boar in my den. It is denser than my Omegas, but the hairs seem to have the thicker gauge shaft like unsketched blonde Omegas, as opposed to Semogues thinner hairs. It's still very soft at the tips, and I expect it will be luxurious when it opens up and begins to splay a bit more. If not, I have many boars I really love. But I can sense potential here.

Omega 13564
20201202.jpg

I brought this one out of semi-retirement for this thread. It's not one of my favorites, but it hasn't been boxed-up or shipped out yet so it's still on the roster and eligible to participate.

Oh. Okay then. What is taking that @abj so LOOOOONG do ya think? While we're waiting.... maybe he can tell us if he has and LOOOOOOOVES the aftershave (if there is such a thing!)
@henrickd @FarmerTan Well I'm not good in describing scents. This soap has a fresh scent, does it look like Irish Creed? I really don't know, but I don't care, I like it.
And there is an aftershave, but I don't have it yet

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I just brought out my boarzooka for the first shave of Decemboar. It's a Zenith 508A named Hogzilla (in honor of Joe Bob Briggs). It is the Bermuda Triangle of brushes but instead of ships and airplanes disappearing without a trace, soap disappears to never be seen again. It is the least used brush in my collection because I'd have to sell my house to finance the soap usage which would boarder on insanity. It isn't even close to being broken in.

Behold 31mm X 57mm of boarish glory

View attachment 1189152

View attachment 1189155

View attachment 1189160

I understand this!

When I want to get rid of a soap, the boars come out ... when I have some cherished sample, there's *no* *way* a boar's getting involved. The lather vanishes! "Up hees nose!" "Doctor, it's gone!"

Decemboar is a hard sell here. Liking my large synths and occasional high-end badge ... at least with the synth, you get the soap back out again. Don't need a Magical Portal to send soap through; already have one in my medicine cabinet for blades!

AA

I understand this!

When I want to get rid of a soap, the boars come out ... when I have some cherished sample, there's *no* *way* a boar's getting involved. The lather vanishes! "Up hees nose!" "Doctor, it's gone!"

Decemboar is a hard sell here. Liking my large synths and occasional high-end badge ... at least with the synth, you get the soap back out again. Don't need a Magical Portal to send soap through; already have one in my medicine cabinet for blades!

AA

Man I really wonder what type of boar brushes you guys are using. None of my boars (over a dozen) eat lather. In fact, they get flingin' lather all over the bathroom. Maybe its boars that are not broken in???? One of the great mysteries of life I guess....

Man I really wonder what type of boar brushes you guys are using. None of my boars (over a dozen) eat lather. In fact, they get flingin' lather all over the bathroom. Maybe its boars that are not broken in???? One of the great mysteries of life I guess....
Hogzilla is HUGE and not broken in. It's a mutant. I expect that if I ever get him broken in he'll settle down to a more reasonable soap usage pace. My other boars don't use crazy amounts.

I haven't ever used an unbleached Zenith, but I've read that they do feel quite different. This is a really unique boar in my den. It is denser than my Omegas, but the hairs seem to have the thicker gauge shaft like unsketched blonde Omegas, as opposed to Semogues thinner hairs. It's still very soft at the tips, and I expect it will be luxurious when it opens up and begins to splay a bit more. If not, I have many boars I really love. But I can sense potential here.
Should say I've never used a bleached Zenith. This brush is my only Zenith thus far. Looking forward to seeing where it goes over the next month. I'm planning a den purge later this week and another at the end of December. The Zenith won't go this week but needs to really wow me to stay into 2021.

I have one of those on order, as well as the Goodfellas 10077 brush. The Wild Hog's knot shape looks a beauty once it has broken in.
Yeah, I really enjoy it. Whether bowl-lathering or face-lathering using soap, croap, or cream... it doesn't matter; the Wild Hog never disappoints.

Should say I've never used a bleached Zenith. This brush is my only Zenith thus far. Looking forward to seeing where it goes over the next month. I'm planning a den purge later this week and another at the end of December. The Zenith won't go this week but needs to really wow me to stay into 2021.
I like my unbleached Zenith enough after initial use to think that I'll be keeping it. But I may consider reknotting it at a slightly lower loft.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

full

Here's one, a Zenith aluminum (left); Maggard two-band badger and Elite bog oak finest badger.

The Zenith boar is probably broken in, but not used all that much. When the Williams comes out, etc.

AA

Last edited:

I have a bleached Zenith, which I'm not very enthusiastic about. The face feel is amazing, but it seems to eat soap and struggles to hold lather. The unbleached lather is a very scrubby and efficient brush for making a lather though.

Yeah, I really enjoy it. Whether bowl-lathering or face-lathering using soap, croap, or cream... it doesn't matter; the Wild Hog never disappoints.

Thanks for the info! I am looking forward to receiving mine.

Top Bottom