What's new

🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗 DecemBOAR 2023!!! Only Boar Brushes for all of December! 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I also want to buy an Omega 10005 brush. I like the shape of the wooden handle. But I wonder how practical it is. I had an Omega 11137 brush with a wooden handle. And over time, a soap coating forms on it, which looks ugly and cannot be removed. This is clearly visible in the photo in message 549.

I really liked the shape of the handle and it felt good in the hand, but it had swollen up a tad during breakin so I broke the knot free and put it in a resin handle. No more worries.

IMG_2403.JPG

Razor: English Gillette Blue Tip Super-Speed
Blade: Feather (2nd use)
Brush: Omega 10810
Cream: Proraso Blue
Aftershave: Natio Calming Aftershave Balm
Eau de Cologne: Mont St Michel Naturelle Classique

Last edited:
DecemBOAR 6 -- Wednesday Evening Edition

A beautiful butterscotch-handled Zenith 505B arrived today, thanks to B&B BST! The knot is a little shorter than I generally prefer, but it feels great. I wouldn't be surprised if this brush "hogs" more attention this month than the others.

20231206_200241.jpg

Quick update on the Zenith Brushes I ordered from Spain on the first of November.
The package arrived in Canada on November 28.
Since then it’s been stuck in a loop travelling between the same two cities.
I contacted Canada Post and they’ve confirmed an issue and are working to resolve it. I was told that eventually they would have flagged it and would have been shipped back to Spain. Glad I called! The brushes must know Toronto and Barrie quite well. :)

View attachment 1759873

Similar problem here in the US of A.
IMG_0375.jpeg

PSA I posted on another thread that may save some B&Bers a few bucks…

I am a huge Simpson fanboy. I own a dozen Simpson badgers in all hairs and love them all. Amazing brushes.

I just received my two Simpson boars… and they are garbage. One has a 3/4” glue bump and the other? Just crap. Both shed like crazy.

Yes, they are inexpensive but a $5 pharmacy Omega is better.

Spend the extra $10 for a real boar brush From Zenith or Semogue.

Shame on Simpson for releasing these at any price.

the Zenith below has been used a few times and the Simpsons were just quickly soaked and lathered once. I will try both, but I expect they will be binned. I wouldn’t even PIF these disasters.

058FF088-B91F-431F-B652-038BB609E142.jpeg
F3D6B3FF-E57A-4460-846E-1BEE801140DA.jpeg

Todays shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.

Razor: Henson AL13 ++

Blade: Personna Platinum

Soap/cream: Abatte Y La Mantia Matteo 9,11

Brush: Semogue 1305
Balm: Thayers Milky Face Toner

Aftershave: Old Spice

BBS

All the various Zeniths have different characteristics & feel. Of course they do considering they have different knot sizes, lofts, & bleach treatment (or not). But one thing I have found is they consistently perform wonderfully & can be counted on to provide a pleasurable lathering experience. Yet another Zenith brush today was exquisite!

Goodwill #160
Feather
Zenith bleached boar
MdC Fougere
Vanilla Highball
IMG_6306.jpg

Last edited:

I am a huge Simpson fanboy. I own a dozen Simpson badgers in all hairs and love them all. Amazing brushes.

I just received my two Simpson boars… and they are garbage. One has a 3/4” glue bump and the other? Just crap. Both shed like crazy.

the Zenith below has been used a few times and the Simpsons were just quickly soaked and lathered once. I will try both, but I expect they will be binned. I wouldn’t even PIF these disasters.

View attachment 1760103View attachment 1760102

That is a grim report. I also bought both. The glue bump on my Barbican is unusually tall. Mine have not self-destructed so far. I was expecting better from them, though. Their badgers are very highly admired. And my little Vulfix boar is fine and durable at an Omega price point.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
DecemBOAR 2023
20231205_105147~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB (Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)

20231203_114656~2.jpg

Brush: Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R Salter Solid Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Same kit as yesterday. :)

Shaving with the Ti Blackbird SB is intuitive and effortless. :001_wub:

This week's Supporting Cast is outstanding! :001_wub:

Superb shave! :cool:

Beautiful! I’m going to mine a Zenith boar & put it in one of your gorgeous handles. I’ll post a pic when it’s done.

Thank you.
@oscar11, I've got the knot out. Just need the time to cut the plastic ring off, then set the knot. I haven't forgotten! Far from forgotten, I'm looking forward to finally getting the brush finished after figuring out the right knot to put in that masterfully crafted work of art!

Date07.12.2023
365 daily shaves
341/365
DecemBOAR06/31
DEcember07/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash09/32

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Voshkod (2)Omega 10098
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Kox Dutchy Bergamot
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (Minor red spots)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.510 (DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - Decided to use the same kit as yesterday to accelerate the breaking in process. The shave was fine and pretty much uneventful.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

lasta

Blade Biter

View attachment 1760103View attachment 1760102
Badgers may be feisty, but it takes a while different skill set to wrestle with pigs!

DecemBOAR continues…

This morning is my last shave at home and post until Monday. I’m off to the Game.

Today’s Piggy was an Omega Pro Boar. It’s a Great, soft, low backbone, lather monster.

I will continue DecemBOAR during my travels with the three little pigs pictured.

Go NAVY Beat Army!
IMG_1803.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom