What's new

🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗 DecemBOAR 2022!!! Only Boar Brushes for all of December! 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗

Yesterday's first DecemBOAR shave.

I had a wonderful shave using the Blutt BR-1 with the Timeless Ti Crown handle and a Wizamet Super Iridium (1). I also used the ESC Claymore Evolution with a Kai Protouch MG guarded blade around my nose because I have some whiskers that grow so close to my nose they are problematic. The Claymore Evo has the blade closer to both ends of the razor head. It's the best thing I own for getting those pesky whiskers.

Since I shave in the morning yesterday, I was able to track the shave. I checked my face at 10 hours and again at 12 hours... still smooth but a few hours later, when I headed off to bed, I could feel the whiskers on my upper lip and around my chin.

My Zenith B33 with the 506 copper handle was just what I expected: soft but with the delicious scrub you get from some natural fiber brushes. It is at least semi-broken-in since it's been through 30 or so wet/dry cycles. I had high hopes for this brush and it didn't disappoint.

View attachment 1565744
What gap is your Blutt? I just bought a .99 which is one below the 1.2 most aggressive plate. Also mine is the 2022 revised model. Not sure the differences between the 2021 model and this.

I got dropped from the list, so I'll add myself back on:

1) SharpieB
2) MaineYooper
3) J-NM
4) dmshaver
5) Phoenixkh
6) Icculus
7) ewk
8) Slock
9) DavidN88
10) Tjsgarden
11) Ravenonrock
12) md1234
13) PintoPlain
14) Kyle89
15) dnallehekaj
16) zoidberg
17) JAHE
18) Shave Souffle
19) DoyleClark
20) VerbaVolant
21) linty1
22) ivan_101
23) Leverspro
24) Crisp Rat
25) RenoRichard
26) edbluetooth
27) ralph029
28) Tillerman
29) Abz88
30) Contact_vs_Feedback
31) RookieGuy
32) GenericYetSpecificName
33) Balin
34) Flask28
35) Shave Wok and Kiley (SW&K)
36) KenM
37) kosovel
38) Jayson74
39) AndyPanda
40) La Malice
41) beg033
42) redrako
43) never-stop-learning
44) Time Bandit
45) Beto Salatini
46) GNR (Tim)
47) cryhavoc
48) Chef455
49)Bglayer
50)John R
51) Chan Eil Whiskers
52) rosseforp
53) slimshavy
54)
55)

First Decemboar Shave
Dec. 2, 2022

IMG_9765.jpg

Brush: Semogue 1470
Soap: Em's Place Woodstock glycerine round
Razor: NEW short comb
Blade: Bolzano, Second use

This brush is so trouble-free and the soap is so reliably slick that it almost doesn't matter what I do. Case in point, today I forgot to soak the brush or bloom the soap, so I got it wet and squeezed it out and loaded the brush. I squeezed it out probably too much, as it felt pretty dry.

I added a few drops of water as I face lathered, and it worked just fine. I think the only repercussion was that I loaded too much and had lather left over when I was done. I occasionally will just leave the brush unrinsed in the mug to dry if I don't want to wasted the extra lather, but I rinsed and dried as usual this time.

Bolzano came back to earth after a great first shave. The second was still good, but I got cocky in the mustache and attacked the tricky corners too hard, ending with a few weepers in the same spot. None persisted after the shave, but not ideal. A couple other fleeting weepers and a little irritation in the tricky under-chin/under-jaw area. Still a good shave, and I'll go into the next with some more caution.

First Decemboar Shave
Dec. 2, 2022

View attachment 1565763

Brush: Semogue 1470
Soap: Em's Place Woodstock glycerine round
Razor: NEW short comb
Blade: Bolzano, Second use

This brush is so trouble-free and the soap is so reliably slick that it almost doesn't matter what I do. Case in point, today I forgot to soak the brush or bloom the soap, so I got it wet and squeezed it out and loaded the brush. I squeezed it out probably too much, as it felt pretty dry.

I added a few drops of water as I face lathered, and it worked just fine. I think the only repercussion was that I loaded too much and had lather left over when I was done. I occasionally will just leave the brush unrinsed in the mug to dry if I don't want to wasted the extra lather, but I rinsed and dried as usual this time.

Bolzano came back to earth after a great first shave. The second was still good, but I got cocky in the mustache and attacked the tricky corners too hard, ending with a few weepers in the same spot. None persisted after the shave, but not ideal. A couple other fleeting weepers and a little irritation in the tricky under-chin/under-jaw area. Still a good shave, and I'll go into the next with some more caution.

I'm hunting one of those Gillette NEW like a mad man, but in Europe they are quite rare...What's your thoughts on the razor? What could be the modern razor that you could compare it with?

I'm hunting one of those Gillette NEW like a mad man, but in Europe they are quite rare...What's your thoughts on the razor? What could be the modern razor that you could compare it with?
I haven't used modern razors, except the Merkur 34 (which didn't shave close and irritated my skin), so I can't really compare.

I like the NEW because it allows you to adjust your angle from steep to shallow and still be within the window where it's actively shaving. It also never seems to clog, so you can let the lather pile up without rinsing. There are times I wish it were more aggressive, but that's mostly on the cleanup passes along my jaw, where I need a sharper blade to really get BBS, even with some extra passes and varied skin stretching. It's a tradeoff, though, as I'd be more likely to cut myself elsewhere were it any more aggressive (let the record show that I do cut myself more often than most people admit to here, mostly small bumps in my skin where hairs haven't yet re-emerged from a previous shave).

It's small and nimble under the nose and on the chin, like a Tech but a better shaver. It's become my all-purpose razor, as it can let you learn a lot about technique and adjust to different blades. I like my Old Type, Slim and Red Tip as well, but they seem to lock you into one way of shaving (ironically for the adjustable, I know).

It's a shame they're expensive in Europe. I feel like the demand dropped off for them here, and the price right with it. The unpolished ones (like mine, with flaky gold plating and lacquer) go for $10 or less because they're not as shiny as those polished down to the brass (but are usually in better shape).

GRUME, day 2...Still In!
DecemBOAR, day 2

PXL_20221202_155427152.jpg

Rockwell 6S, plate 4
Gillette Platinum (32)
DR. Harris Naturals
Semogue SOC
Zingariman unscented balm

On the second day,
I am in uncharted waters using a blade 32 times so I wanted to do a little experiment. I used the Rockwell because it provides a mild dependable easy shave. I am confident I did good prep and lathering but on the first pass there was some roughness. I did the best 'no pressure' strokes I could and it was OK. The second pass and touch-ups were good enough for a DFS. Tomorrow, I plan on using the Feather Popular razor because it is even more mild and tolerant. If the roughness is still there, #33 may be the end for this blade.

It is my first time using this soap and balm. They are very nice quality products. The SOC brush is special and does not cause any skin irritation.

Onward and take care of yourself and others.

I haven't used modern razors, except the Merkur 34 (which didn't shave close and irritated my skin), so I can't really compare.

I like the NEW because it allows you to adjust your angle from steep to shallow and still be within the window where it's actively shaving. It also never seems to clog, so you can let the lather pile up without rinsing. There are times I wish it were more aggressive, but that's mostly on the cleanup passes along my jaw, where I need a sharper blade to really get BBS, even with some extra passes and varied skin stretching. It's a tradeoff, though, as I'd be more likely to cut myself elsewhere were it any more aggressive (let the record show that I do cut myself more often than most people admit to here, mostly small bumps in my skin where hairs haven't yet re-emerged from a previous shave).

It's small and nimble under the nose and on the chin, like a Tech but a better shaver. It's become my all-purpose razor, as it can let you learn a lot about technique and adjust to different blades. I like my Old Type, Slim and Red Tip as well, but they seem to lock you into one way of shaving (ironically for the adjustable, I know).

It's a shame they're expensive in Europe. I feel like the demand dropped off for them here, and the price right with it. The unpolished ones (like mine, with flaky gold plating and lacquer) go for $10 or less because they're not as shiny as those polished down to the brass (but are usually in better shape).

I'm tempted to pick up one from USA, because every single person that I ask about it, just says that it's one of their favorite razors ever! And I do like the look of it, although I want to replate it as soon as I get one, because tipically I don't like gold stuff.

Really appreciate your insight fellow Sir!

GRUME, day 2...Still In!
DecemBOAR, day 2

View attachment 1565801

Rockwell 6S, plate 4
Gillette Platinum (32)
DR. Harris Naturals
Semogue SOC
Zingariman unscented balm

On the second day,
I am in uncharted waters using a blade 32 times so I wanted to do a little experiment. I used the Rockwell because it provides a mild dependable easy shave. I am confident I did good prep and lathering but on the first pass there was some roughness. I did the best 'no pressure' strokes I could and it was OK. The second pass and touch-ups were good enough for a DFS. Tomorrow, I plan on using the Feather Popular razor because it is even more mild and tolerant. If the roughness is still there, #33 may be the end for this blade.

It is my first time using this soap and balm. They are very nice quality products. The SOC brush is special and does not cause any skin irritation.

Onward and take care of yourself and others.

Holy cow! 32 shaves out of the same blade??? That's quite unreal...I know that one blade can go much longer than the usual 3 shaves that I get from one single blade, but 32 shaves seems too much 😰

Second boar. This is an untreated "shoat" boar knot from Turn-n-Shave in a Robert Quin handle. Very nice brush.
Image2464569282938995278.jpg
Image4761981232918204151.jpg
The last page of 2021 Decemboar thread is quite entertaining. @Sharpie is a patient man.

@Rivers23 Great choice of brush with that unbleached Zenith. My 26mm was one of my fav knots but I sold it to downsize to the same knot in 22mm size. But I can't use it yet as I took it out of its stock handle and am waiting for the custom handle to arrive.

@Shave Souffle Thanks for showing off that new RR Super slant. Looks like a beast. I'll be curious to watch your Wolfman thread posts to see how they compare for efficiency. But a razor that's hard to load would get tiresome. I load razors every morning.

Last edited:
Whoa, Decemboar 2 and 300+ posts on this thread? As a small boar backer in a big way, I coulda been a contender, but I used a vintage Klenzo mixed boar/badger yesterday.

Hey, @SharpieB , am I DQ'd already?
No sir. You are good! The first rule of DecemBOAR is that there are no rules. 🤪

I will be using a Mistura (boar/badger) tomorrow. If you use a synth or a badger, we don’t care. 👍

Top Bottom