What's new

🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗 DecemBOAR 2022!!! Only Boar Brushes for all of December! 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗

View attachment 1565100
Day 1! Can never remember which model omega this is. Used to use it a lot. The last few times I've had it out it's shed but it didn't this time around, so I guess it's not on its way out? Wasn't ready to die yet?

Great pharmacy find for under 5 bucks.
If it looks like this, its a 10077
1669900253408.png

DecemBoar 1

12_01.jpg

Ever-Ready 150 with Maggard Razors premium boar (thanks again, @mrdoug!)
Gillette pre-War Tech
German Red (my name for the Personna Platinum Chromes out of Germany!)
MWS Sensitive Skin

First pass was very thin lather, even after a minute's load, but I reloaded for 30 seconds and the 2nd was bee-yute-afull! Followed the same plan for the third pass. Overall, I had a great start to DecemBoar! I hope you do, too!

Date
365 days of shaving338/334
(100%)
GRUME December1/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
NEW ImprovedTimor (3)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Face lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

With NOCvember closed it was time to bring out the open combs again! And the NEW Improved begged me to be used. I loaded the razor with the second Timor blade from the Blade Discovery Adventure on its third run and the combination delivered a smooth and comfortable ride.

In terms of technique I more closely followed my beard map and paid extra attention to letting the razor do the work (i.e. no pressure). Worked really well. I could have done just two passes as the first pass was mega effective, but I felt the blade being harsher on the first ATG strokes on the neck and so I switched back to a usual three pass shave. That turned out to be a good idea and BBS was the ensuing result.

Using the Omega Proraso I loaded the Bergamot for a nice face lather. This brush - although boar - is very soft and floppy to the face. Face lathering makes it less thirsty than bowl lathering for some reason and so I went with that. Dutchy Bergamot is only available from my local shaving shop and it is a wonderful, easy scent as well as providing an excellent post shave feeling to the skin.

I only have one boar brush so I will be dropping in at irregular intervals. Enjoy DecemBOAR!

Great first day of December I would say. Enjoy yours!

SOTD20221202.jpg

Day 1

Green Omega 10065
Gillette Fatboy G3
Astra SP (2)
Vitos Extra Super Cocoa soap
Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
RazoRock After Shaving Splash

Off to a grand start on the first day of DecemBoar with the humble, but terrific Omega 10065. Over the years. I've leaned towards the medium sized boars in the 23/24 mm size, but perhaps need to revisit an SOC or other larger boar.

Keeping with the Italian theme that started out with the Omega brush, I chose the Connaught right-sized Vitos Extra Super Coco and Razo Rock's Floid Blue knock off, Aftershaving Splash.

1/12/22

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Brush - Zenith Euro X (unbleached 24mm/58mm)
Soap - Arko Stick
Razor - Personna Star head on a Yaqi Handle
Blade - Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword (5)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Denim Original

For the last month I only used Indian made blades and used vegan shaving soaps, for this month I think in addition to the theme of 'Decemboar', I will also try to give a detailed run out of my non Gillette vintage razors, and a good a place to start as any is with the Star Personna razor. It produced a nice enough shave with the GWS, but I think I will give it an outing with a few blades I have used more often to hopefully get a better grasp of the razor.
I'd not used my Zenith Euro X brush for a few weeks now, and I remembered why I love this humble brush so much. Even after a 100 or so shaves, the shape of the knot in the shave keeps it shape, in comparison my Omega boars seem to become a little floppy (I still love my Omega boars!), I managed to get a gloriously slick and shiny Arko lather with very little trouble and a lot of pleasure. I think I will give this particular boar brush an extended outing for this calendar month.

Have a good day gents.

IMG_20221201_115855.jpg

Decemboar 1st shave.

20221201_091340.jpg

Pre: n/a
Razor: 64 Flair tip Superspeed Nacet(1)
Soap: Stirling Glastonbury
Brush: Omega 50014

Good shave, brush is my travel brush and needs a fair bit of breaking in yet I think. Started to face lather but changed midway and finished in the mug. Got careless and caught the uneven spot on my lower jaw (old break) and had to pull out the styptic. All in all a good shave.

Beautiful setup. I have already scheduled my cherry wood SOC boar for the next shave of DecemBoar... 😀

I'm still trying to find a proper way to stop my SOC from eating lather like crazy...I mean, it's just unreal how much lather it actually eats. It's so sad, because it was my 2nd brush, and I do love his knot, but don't reach it as often has I should due to way that thing eats lather.

I'm still trying to find a proper way to stop my SOC from eating lather like crazy...I mean, it's just unreal how much lather it actually eats. It's so sad, because it was my 2nd brush, and I do love his knot, but don't reach it as often has I should due to way that thing eats lather.

I've had a few brushes with bleached bristles like your SOC, one of them is the bleached Zenith B07, which has lovely face feel, but even after 30-50 shaves irrespective of what I tried with the brush be it loading twice as much soap, face or bowl lathering, soaking for a few minutes or five, I was never able to stop the brush from eating lather.

My solution to this issue, from there on are only to buy boar brushes with unbleached bristles.

I hope you find a way to deal with your SOC though.

December GRUME, day 1...STILL IN! :biggrin1:
DecemBOAR, day 1

PXL_20221201_164532242.jpg

Muhle Rocca
Gillette Platinum (31)! (a new personal best)
Zenith 2004
Declaration Grooming Dirtyver

Cheers to a new month!
To start off DecemBOAR, I choose this brush because it is very pliable and quickly developed split-ends. The only downside is the knot is not very dense and tends to splay in clumps.
I am having to refine my technique because the Rocca is a bit more aggressive or efficient than the razors I am familiar with. It has a closer shaving angle tolerance but I enjoy using it and I adapted quickly. I just set a new personal best by using the Gillette blade for the 31st shave and it is still good to go...onward.
I discovered that I like woodsy, wet forrest, musky scents and the Dirtyver fits the bill. I made the lather a bit thin but the scent remained for two passes and touch-ups. I ended up with a DFS and a good start for a new month.

Take care of yourself and each other.
@Balin, I can relate!
@hopper_64 Welcome back to the fold!

My SOC Taj and Proraso Pro brushes arrived today. They're getting shave ready as we speak. My process is simple. Out of the box, soak in warm water for 15 min. Lather up with dish soap and let sit for 10 min. Rinse well. Lather up with 2-in-1 shampoo + conditioner and let it sit for 10 min. Rinse well. Lather up with shave soap/cream and let it sit for 10 min. Rinse well, and gently dry on a towel. On to a stand. Let it dry for 48 hours, and the brush is shave-ready now. I respect the natural break-in process and get rewarded with beautiful boar bristles.

IMG_20221201_205325.jpg

Top Bottom