What's new

🐗 🐖 🐷 🐽 DecemBOAR 2021 - Only boar brushes… for all of December! 🐗 🐖 🐷 🐽

Today's shave!
IMG_20211205_173412__01.jpg

Today another brush that doesn't get that much attention overhere. It is a Mühle boar brush from the time just before Mühle upgraded its brand and placed the budget stuff under the HJM brand. It was both sold as part of a (Trac II) set or separately. It was cheap and just like with the HJM boars (at least a decade ago) Mühle committed sacrilege because they clipped the hairs to create the 'perfect' bulb. Due to the shorter loft it could have been a perfect face latherer but come on, clipped hairs?

I use this brush only when I am camping out because I couldn't care less if it would get lost and let's be fair; everybody needs at least one brush they don't care about! For (size) reference the Omega 10066 is also in the picture.

1638735947350.jpg

Today, two new piggies joined the farm!
They have had their shampoo and conditioner and are having a soak. I am glad to have such variety, but am surprised how different the knots are from the different factories. The Vulfix feels and smells just like my Simpsons best did new, just less strong luckily. The Omega looks promising if it has any hair left by the time I get to use it.

IMG_1722.jpeg

Which one will I use tonight? 🤔

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
26AEF062-85E7-421D-AE72-C9160285717C.jpeg
PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA
SoapBlue Devil Frankinscents, Australia 🇦🇺
BrushBGB The Plato, Boar, Australia 🇦🇺
RazorBlackland Blackbird, USA 🇺🇸
BladeAstra SP, Russia 🇷🇺
Post ShaveProraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹 , Proraso Balm, Italy 🇮🇹
FragranceTabac Original, Germany 🇩🇪
Rating9/10

My first Mistura shave and I loved it. No idea why I waited so long to try one. The bristles remind me a bit of a good Silvertip badger knot but with more scrub and ridged hairs. Excellent!

The Body Shop cream and AS gel are both excellent as well. I didn’t expect these to perform so well. Great for people with sensitive skin IMO.

8DB7ABBA-9EB7-413C-90DA-7303927C66A4.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a problem with the copper patina leaching onto the boar. All cleaned up, sealed the socket, and reset the knot, a Turn N Shave shoat, not gelled. Here is the brush, next to the Semogue 830.

20211205_230651.jpg

And top down
20211205_230717.jpg

If it doesn't work out, I can always paint the house with it!

Decemboar 5th
Feather DX loaded with dull Pro Guard, then a sharp Proline
First shave with the new Omega
After shave was grain alcohol/Zingari Man splash, mixed in hand.

IMG_1725.jpeg

This went about how you would expect when you try to use a dull blade and then decide you aren't bleeding yet so you change the blade and have another try. 😬
:a46:

Today's brush : vintage Opal 10 reknotted (Shave Forge) to a scrubby 42mm loft. I often reach for this one.

C1BA55FE-A8B4-4861-8634-78FAB3323F4F.jpeg

Cattaraugus Cutlery Yellow Boy razor, propped on a Cattaraugus stockman pocket knife I bumped into recently. Both are from Little Valley, NY. A Derby stick, a two pass shave and a splash of Lucky Tiger is the rest of the story.

Omega 10019 today.

Today another brush that doesn't get that much attention overhere. It is a Mühle boar brush from the time just before Mühle upgraded its brand and placed the budget stuff under the HJM brand. It was both sold as part of a (Trac II) set or separately. It was cheap and just like with the HJM boars (at least a decade ago) Mühle committed sacrilege because they clipped the hairs to create the 'perfect' bulb. Due to the shorter loft it could have been a perfect face latherer but come on, clipped hairs?

I use this brush only when I am camping out because I couldn't care less if it would get lost and let's be fair; everybody needs at least one brush they don't care about! For (size) reference the Omega 10066 is also in the picture.

View attachment 1373516
Yeah I had one of those back in the day. Never liked it. The clipping probably is the reason, but i had only 1-2 split bristles after 40-50 shaves. Even the small Omegas like 10275, 10051 or 40033 beat it any day.

The Mühle is no match for the Omega's, true. To be honest, the 40033 beats about any boar brush any time!
To be honest I would disagree here. And I have tried a huge number of Omega boars. Have been reading about that 40033 for a few years and finally bought it last year. Yes it is a very good brush. But if we are talking the small 48-50 loft models, 10051 definitely beats it. So does the 10019 and 10018. I can highly recommend them to you.

Brush six. Omega 11126 meets Wade & Butcher 7/8 near wedge (with Vermont green slate finish), Stirling Glastonbury, and RazoRock Essential Oil of Lime.

Nice shave!

The Omega is definitely softer than many of my Semogues. I think I prefer the stiffer bristles - after they are broken in.

1638795487654.png

To be honest I would disagree here. And I have tried a huge number of Omega boars. Have been reading about that 40033 for a few years and finally bought it last year. Yes it is a very good brush. But if we are talking the small 48-50 loft models, 10051 definitely beats it. So does the 10019 and 10018. I can highly recommend them to you.
Never used the 10051 but have a 10019, a 10066, a 50068, a 50014 and two vintage boars out of production. Those vintage brushes are really nice but a bit unfair to compare of course.

There is a bit of YMMV at work here I guess because though I really like the 10019 (as a latherer, not the build quality) I really prefer the more sturdy knot of the 40033. It took a little longer to break in and give the same sort of pleasant face feel but if I could pick only one of the two it would for sure be the 40033.

But to be honest, I have yet to come across an Omega boar that doesn't lather like a champ and the differences are much more about personal preferences than anything else I think.

Never used the 10051 but have a 10019, a 10066, a 50068, a 50014 and two vintage boars out of production. Those vintage brushes are really nice but a bit unfair to compare of course.

There is a bit of YMMV at work here I guess because though I really like the 10019 (as a latherer, not the build quality) I really prefer the more sturdy knot of the 40033. It took a little longer to break in and give the same sort of pleasant face feel but if I could pick only one of the two it would for sure be the 40033.

But to be honest, I have yet to come across an Omega boar that doesn't lather like a champ and the differences are much more about personal preferences than anything else I think.
Yes, the 40033 has more backbone than the 10019, I agree. 10019 is the cheaper brush. And the bristles are different on the two.

Top Bottom