What's new

🐗 🐖 🐷 🐽 DecemBOAR 2021 - Only boar brushes… for all of December! 🐗 🐖 🐷 🐽

Hey, me too! First time use of an untreated TNS knot in a Paul Trotter handle. Having done a couple palm lathers which looked/felt very promising I was pretty disappointed today in its performance. But a break in period is to be expected. The soap I used is also kind of peculiar and it was my first use of the tub. View attachment 1371610
I liked the feel of the knot, but it does need more attention! What is the handle?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Decemboar 2nd, Omega 66

238724B7-595E-4121-86F1-3BBFD8BBF583.jpeg

Dec. 2: First shave of Decemboar
I'm an every-other-day shaver, but every shave is boar

Brush: Semogue 1470, stubby little wood-handled champ and my only brush
Soap: Em's Place glycerin bay rum
Razor: Super Speed Red Tip 1956
Blade: Feather (1) -- Note that I've cross-posted in the Feather-Kai challenge thread
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Co9T

I've had an extremely unconventional lathering as I transition to a new soap. I used to build lather on the soap, which I kept in the bottom of a big, knobby handled shaving mug. I learned here that that wasn't the way to go, so I resolved to load the brush and then build the lather elsewhere. Problem is, I had build a thick layer of soap residue along the sides and top ridge of the mug, where lather had dried and accumulated. Gross, perhaps, but also useful soap I didn't want to waste.

I figured this would only last a couple shaves, but it's lasted weeks! I'm able to fully load the brush with the leftover soap up top and build the lather in the clean bottom of the mug. Boar don't care. It scrapes that stuff right up and builds a beautiful lather.

The shave was great, plenty of residual slickness I couldn't get enough of feeling.

My only problem now is I've got a new soap puck and I don't know what to do with it. I've got no counter or storage, and I can't have a shaving bowl lying around. Maybe I'll melt some down and intentionally deposit it under the rim of my mug! Be a trend-setter.

If the 49 knot came in a handle that didn’t feel like a toy, it would be the perfect boar brush IMo.

Honestly that’s my feeling about the 40033. I’ve tried taking a couple apart and the plastic ring breaks and the knot gets all wonky.

I can work with a Pro 49. Since I’ve never been afflicted by Brush Aquisition Disorder and used a better handle. I don’t know what I’m missing out on.

Honestly that’s my feeling about the 40033. I’ve tried taking a couple apart and the plastic ring breaks and the knot gets all wonky.

I can work with a Pro 49. Since I’ve never been afflicted by Brush Aquisition Disorder and used a better handle. I don’t know what I’m missing out on.
I have the same brush and the knot is great. I just find the handle cheap. But having said that, it is only a $10 brush! 😜

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I doubt that I’m going to be observant every day in December, but I am having fun! I’ve been getting into boar more (see what I did there?) and needed a few more bucks for free shipping from Maggard, so I threw a red handled Omega 49 in the cart. At 15% of it was about $8.50. It arrived yesterday.

I agree with @SharpieB that the handle feels too light, and wonder if it’s hollow - maybe you could drill a little hole in the bottom and fill it with resin?

First off, it’s a big knot, about 25mm x 60mm. The knot is not as dense as a SOC, and the bristles aren’t as light. I also spent some time removing a lot of coarse black bristles, many of which stood above the crown. Not all these were ‘nails’ but many were, but for $8.50, no complaints, in fact I may get a black one. Red and black were my high school colors.

I test lathered it up and it’s a lather cannon. I’ve never been a lather pr0n guy, but this thing does it all by itself. The lather image is a good loading of MdC then bowl lathered in a slow feeder bowl to really work the knot and get out some boar funk which was actually not very bad.

The tips could be felt on the first shave, but I assume that will abate after a while. The cream was about 1/2g of AdP and AdP Colonia Intensa was the AS. Razor was a Shell 72 Silver Steel by Perfect Works.

907E3CC0-4668-473D-A453-18C4314B477A.jpeg
F91AE8F8-B10D-4005-AD4A-CF9C839055A8.jpeg
47658EF3-96A2-45F7-AC00-BAA396988518.jpeg

Dec 2nd
Got off to a slow start - yesterday I shaved upon waking and only later realized that December had started. Immediately loaded a boar into the bathroom brush stand.

So today
Semogue 1250
Cattaraugus Cutlery 5/8 hollow
A&E Asian Pear

In a hurry today so I just face lathered with the Asian Pear. Usually use a soap stick directly applied to the face. The results were quite good built up a quick, wet lather.

F03F3A65-7870-49AC-B1C2-3C11385BE760.jpeg

My first Decemboar shave and I decided to start with some brushes that don't get too much attention any more; first is the Omega 10066 which is one of my eldest brushes; broken in and still firm but at the same time softer than most badgers will ever get.

omega 10066.jpg

Great brush but too big for me as a facelather brush.

Dec. 2: First shave of Decemboar
I'm an every-other-day shaver, but every shave is boar

Brush: Semogue 1470, stubby little wood-handled champ and my only brush
[...]
I would like to see a picture of that beauty or I will claim it didn't happen and motion to have your claim stricken from the record.

Thanks for even further sharing, or not. All the best.

Top Bottom