🐗 🐖 🐷 🐽 DecemBOAR 2021 - Only boar brushes… for all of December! 🐗 🐖 🐷 🐽

Sunday DecemBOAR 5

Razor: Matador Bakelit
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)
Brush: Reine Borste
Soap: Cella
AS: Epsilon Blue

IMG-3725_DSC_3513.JPG

Any thoughts on Semogue vs Zenith bleached boar knots or thoughts in general about these Zenith bleached boars?

The Zenith bristles are great as are the Semogue bristles. The Zenith bristles have a certain je ne sais quoi. To understand the different Semogue brushes and bristles, look at this post from @RandySp:

That said, every serious boar user should have a Zenith. Not sure if he ships to Canada, but The Gentle Shave is a great place to shop for Zenith in the US:

I wish Zenith made more 22 mm boars.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I doubt that I’m going to be observant every day in December, but I am having fun! I’ve been getting into boar more (see what I did there?) and needed a few more bucks for free shipping from Maggard, so I threw a red handled Omega 49 in the cart. At 15% of it was about $8.50. It arrived yesterday.

I agree with @SharpieB that the handle feels too light, and wonder if it’s hollow - maybe you could drill a little hole in the bottom and fill it with resin?

First off, it’s a big knot, about 25mm x 60mm. The knot is not as dense as a SOC, and the bristles aren’t as light. I also spent some time removing a lot of coarse black bristles, many of which stood above the crown. Not all these were ‘nails’ but many were, but for $8.50, no complaints, in fact I may get a black one. Red and black were my high school colors.

I test lathered it up and it’s a lather cannon. I’ve never been a lather pr0n guy, but this thing does it all by itself. The lather image is a good loading of MdC then bowl lathered in a slow feeder bowl to really work the knot and get out some boar funk which was actually not very bad.

The tips could be felt on the first shave, but I assume that will abate after a while. The cream was about 1/2g of AdP and AdP Colonia Intensa was the AS. Razor was a Shell 72 Silver Steel by Perfect Works.

View attachment 1371758View attachment 1371760View attachment 1371761

Hey I noticed you removed the dark hairs.. do you just pluck with tweezers? Or trace it down to the knot and snip off?

linty1

My wallet cries.
64C4D15C-5358-4106-BA07-0A05E8691612.jpeg

First shave on the Sue brush, still getting used to the water in a boar, I over-flicked this time and had to go to my water a few more times to make my lather, but a lovely shave! I'm getting this copper/metal smell from the gem when I shave under the nose that is off-putting.. I think its the age of the razor and the finishing coming off. blergh.

Semogue 1460 meets Wade & Butcher 7/8 near wedge with hard translucent Ark finish, Tabac with tallow, LEA cream, and Myrsol Aqua de Limon.

Do not underestimate the capabilities the 1460. Yes, it is not big, but it can pack a punch. I have seen it described as 22 mm, but I trust Bruno (aka @Leon) from Vintage Scent who lists it as 21 mm.

I used the 1460 with both Tabac with tallow and LEA today. Feel free to disagree, but I prefer the brush with harder soaps.

In case you have read about painted brushes peeling or chipping, here is a tip: take the brush out of its packaging and let the paint cure until you can smell no paint fumes. Again, no, nada, zero paint fumes.

The bottom line is that the 1460 is a very cool looking brush that can really perform!

1638722509418.png

Decemboar Day 5

Brush: Semogue SOC Mistura Mutt
Soap: Pre de Provence
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (2)
A/S: Witch hazel & Proraso White balm
My Google-fu on the site here failed to bring up more info on the Mistura Mutt! Could you explain that clever name, as inquiring minds want to know! (ok, maybe only my mind wants to know!)

DecemBoar 5th

05 Dec.jpg

GEM Cutlery Damaskeene
Personna GEM (2)
Mike's Natural Soaps Unscented
aaaaannnnnnnnddddddd....................
the debut of the Semogue 830!

Much has been written about the 830, and I think the best parts are true! This is the second of two brushes bought new for DecemBoar, the other being the Galahad that I used yesterday. Both were pretreated by me at the same time, with daily soaks (5-10 minutes) followed by hand lathering for another 5-10 minutes. Both are 22mm knots, per the website info from Maggards. But this one is softer, more broken in feeling. It has a ways to go yet, but I think this is a winner. Held lather for a good 3 passes, but was getting stingy on the 3rd pass and I had to coerce it a little!

My Google-fu on the site here failed to bring up more info on the Mistura Mutt! Could you explain that clever name, as inquiring minds want to know! (ok, maybe only my mind wants to know!)
Just a feeble attempt at humor. The Mistura is a 50/50 mix of badger & boar. Though it's not a "purebred" boar, it still qualifies for Decemboar because it has some boar in it. BTW, mutts are often the best dogs you could ask for.

Feather ACS-RB
Dorco BB-20 SE
Arko Shaving Soap Stick
Mondial 'Antica Barberia'

SWS_20211205.jpg

This is my chosen brush for the week. I like the Mondial (26/60) and consider it to be a fine brush. The loft is slightly higher than I prefer, but broken-in I find it to be as soft as my SOC boars and with more backbone. And the aluminum handle is one of my favorites.

Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:
Just a feeble attempt at humor. The Mistura is a 50/50 mix of badger & boar. Though it's not a "purebred" boar, it still qualifies for Decemboar because it has some boar in it. BTW, mutts are often the best dogs you could ask for.
Not feeble at all, I kind of figured that was what you were doing! And yes, whether dog or cat, they love us unconditionally and bring lots of joy. I have a Mistura and it is fast becoming a favorite!

Top Bottom