What's new

December 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

hi Guido,

It’s the Green Cult 1.0 - and there is little nee other than curiosity indeed. I get stellar shaves from my Ti95 (Ann’s in that sense it has been my RAD silence for sure) and excellent shaves from the rest. I am all provided for, I know that. It is the shiny object syndrome at its finest I guess. Or FOMO, but I have that relatively less with razors.

And thanks for the advice! I am only online in this (sub!)community not much else! There is just a lot going on offline. Some give energy and this year the balance has been more towards the ones that take energy unfortunately. That’s why I am taking a short break from work this week and probably part of next week. Recharge that old battery.

Thanks for your support.

Guido
Thank God for our shared passion.
But do go out and get some fresh air each day, my friend.
Gets you unconnected with the energy sucking little world and connects you to the real world 🙏🏽

Wise words Hannes @Multum in parvo! Choosing fatigue that might be one of the best descriptions I have come across these months. Most of my urges are gone too - I did come across the GC1 somewhere (I think), but I already have a Ti95 so I think I am covered in that area as well. Blades and soaps are my most likely ADs. I am off to my shaving shop to get some goodies for one of our brothers, I think I will finally pick up a MWF puck. We’ll see!

And your rotation idea makes sense too. I will give that a go too.

Thanks,

Guido
Hey Guido choosing/decision fatigue is real!!!

It sort of steered me to the SWS and the SOTMC threads. You don't have to do it every week or month and you don't get kicked out if you change your mind in a few days, but I have found it a great way to enjoy what I already have. The only items I rotate on a daily basis are my shaving brushes.

This time of year can be exhausting with meeting expectations, socializing, spending, shorter days ( for us in the Northern Hemisphere ). Take some time for yourself, you can't pour from an empty cup!!

Good Day Gents

GRUME 💪
DecemBOAR the 29th

PXL_20221228_201241443.jpg

E. Jagger D89
Astra Platinum (4 or 5?)
T&H 1805
Omega 81054

An easy two pass WTG CCS this morning. I plan to shave again this evening for a family gathering. I don't have a heavy beard, I just like to shave!

The 81054 is the surprise boar of the year. I'm not saying it is my favorite but it is up there. More on that subject on New Years Eve. Don't forget, I also mentioned a personal story for all you piggie fans soon.

I have spent a lot more money on razors but the Jagger is almost perfect for me. I have a few razors that are more efficient but the Jagger is kind of a sentimental favorite. The shorter handle seems to give more control than a longer one-at least on this razor. I have been face lathering for a few days but used a bowl today. The 1805 soap does a good job.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

hi Guido,

It’s the Green Cult 1.0 - and there is little nee other than curiosity indeed. I get stellar shaves from my Ti95 (Ann’s in that sense it has been my RAD silence for sure) and excellent shaves from the rest. I am all provided for, I know that. It is the shiny object syndrome at its finest I guess. Or FOMO, but I have that relatively less with razors.

And thanks for the advice! I am only online in this (sub!)community not much else! There is just a lot going on offline. Some give energy and this year the balance has been more towards the ones that take energy unfortunately. That’s why I am taking a short break from work this week and probably part of next week. Recharge that old battery.

Thanks for your support.

Guido
Guido,
I do hope you'll be well soon.
Our "energy" is limited at times. And there's nothing wrong with slowing down the pace. You've done the most important thing already. You have realized and acknowledged your situation. Take your time my friend!

Guido I can send you my 1.0 for some test shaves over and I believe @Jack Goossen has also one around.
Awesome, Hannes! 😀 👍

Thursday December 29 - Still out

Face:

Razor: Eversharp Schick Hydro-magic
Blade: Schick Injector (1)
Brush: Hans Baier Sivertip
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave:Floid The Genuine

IMG-4929_DSC_4929 (2).JPG

First shave with the Injector went well, mowed down one weeks growth with ease.

Head:

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Astra SS (6)
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo 28mm
Shaving Cream: Karo
Aftershave: La Toja Balm

IMG-4932_DSC_4932 (2).JPG

Thursday December 29 - Still out

Face:

Razor: Eversharp Schick Hydro-magic
Blade: Schick Injector (1)
Brush: Hans Baier Sivertip
Aftershave:Floid The Genuine

View attachment 1579498

First shave with the Injector went well, mowed down one weeks growth with ease.

Head:

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Astra SS (6)
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo 28mm
Shaving Cream: Karo
Aftershave: La Toja Balm

View attachment 1579501
I liked the Schick for my head shave. Had a vintage Schick blade in it. Nice.

Day 29, 93.5% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #6
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Left the shim out this time, as I wanted a fully predictable social shave. Got a comfortable DFS.

Date
365 days of shaving367/364
(100%)
GRUME December29/30 (97%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving midway to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slant (SW-NE)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (S-N)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine FlatboyDorco Titan (11)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Almost clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

I paired the Flatboy together with an older Titan blade. The blade performed like new. Very smooth and comfortable still.

The Flatboy is not my easiest razor, but it delivers wonderful shaves. Careful strokes and three sweet passes later I am BBS with hints of marble cheeks. I think some stray hairs left on the jaw line.

Face lathered with the T3 today and it has massive backbone so my lather was build in no time at all. Excellent brush
:001_wub:

Further details can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!

I'm out...

I've decided to stock up on my favourite Stirling aftershave in time before the 2023 GRUYERE starts off. I'm down on my final bottle of this particular AS and the scent has already been discontinued. Thus this AS will likely be gone in 01/2024 (and hey, Mrs JAHE loves it 😉 )...
No threewhaling here, I'd say. I ordered two 100ml bottles. And I added one Zenith boar brush (my first Zenith boar brush ever) for the 2023 DecemBoar event...

TBH, I don't feel overly bad regarding this fail since I know I would have made December GRUME otherwise, if GRUYERE wasn’t a thing.

Today's shave was perhaps my final shave of this year 2022. It's been a rather tough year for me due to many aspects in my life, all beyond shaving. My working/ life balance was quite off recently... 2023 might be a another challenging year... But hey, we shall see.🤷‍♂️

However, I may take the opportunity to thank all of you for your uplifting company in 2022.

And as it had to be expected 😉, here's the obligatory SOTD picture...

20221230_131254-01.jpeg

Kommt gut und gesund ins neue Jahr! 😀

Be seeing you!
Guido

You know those scenes where the protagonist experiences hardship and then eats ice cream with self pity? I just did the B&B version of that: buying new shave gear. I was in my local shave shop for MWF (on my longlist) when the owner showed me a vintage Swing I had been previously eyeing in his shop. He said that since I am a committed hobbyist when it comes to shaving I could take it home at 50% discount. That was too much of a bargain! And I could not resist!

47A799A5-9D38-4C86-8FFA-EDFBD19B2875.jpeg

I sanitised her and tomorrow the first shave will go into the shaving books together with MFW.

One more day for all brothers with stronger will than I. I applaud you all :ouch1::thumbup::thumbup1:!! GRUME rocks!!

Cheers,

Guido

Probably my last shave of 2022 and I have enjoyed hanging out with all of you in the monthly restraint threads. Lots of laughs and I've learned a lot from everyone.

Looking forward to next year's restraints and hope you all enjoy your New Year.

Oh, and I'm still in!

20221230_085049.jpg

Top Bottom