What's new

December 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 28, 90.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #5
Enhancement: 0.1mm shim
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Time for a midweek SV day. It's my third use of the shim, and so far so good, another comfortable near-BBS.

I'm in. Super-busy with the consumer holiday shopping season, then got four (four!) vaccines on one day: COVID, flu, shingles and pneumonia. That knocked me on my butt, from Wednesday evening through, really, the day after Christmas, and I've been doing a lot of catching up since then. It's nice to see the group has carried on without a hiccup (or an "out")!

I'm in. Super-busy with the consumer holiday shopping season, then got four (four!) vaccines on one day: COVID, flu, shingles and pneumonia. That knocked me on my butt, from Wednesday evening through, really, the day after Christmas, and I've been doing a lot of catching up since then. It's nice to see the group has carried on without a hiccup (or an "out")!
Do take good care of your health, uncle.
Don't count on us not messing up threads next time you're absentish.

If GRUME were not on B&B, I probably wouldn't be here.
This is my HOME thread.
Some months are better than others but we are all getting there at our own pace...even if we sometimes mess up on the last day (you know who you are:biggrin1: ), but (you know who you are) we are 🙏 and :a14:for you this month!
Amazing how a little community can form within a community. I feel the same about GRUME.
Quite often, GRUME is the first thing I look at when I open the Internet.
And the best thing is new GRUMErs feel very welcome and accepted at once. At least: that's my personal experience. Thank you, brethren.

Still in

Green Cult V1.1 razor in Copper
Gillette 365 blade
Shavologist Brut soap
Semogue Galahad C3 Banded boar
Shavologist Brut aftershave Balm and Splash

View attachment 1578829

I was going to put off shave till New Year's Eve but couldn't ignore the Galahad C3!

I misplaced the SOC and Galahad C3 in the festive season clean-up and when I couldn't find them, I was worried that the alley cat may have grabbed it somehow.

Thankfully that wasn't the case, Galahad performed very well- a small brush with a big heart.

Edit:

I may drop out of this month's GRUME due to various purchases for friends and family. It might not put me out directly but to make the gifts purchase sensible option, I may have to get something for me as well.

So, I'll try my best to only get things for gifting but I may be out by the end of the GRUME this month.

I'd rather start afresh next year than to start with 1st month out of GRUME.

The stuff being ordered may take months to get delivered but the payment will be done by this month.
Appreciate your ethics on this matter, CvF 🙏🏽

Glad you are back in one piece Brandon @FoolishMortal. Four in one go? They don’t vaccinate Covid and flu here in one go without at least two weeks separation. You took the gladiator approach!

And still in. Of course you are!

Guido
It was a calculated risk. I could get COVID and flu, feel terrible for a couple of days, then go back to get shingles and pneumonia and feel terrible for a couple of days again. I figured I would just get them all and be done with it. I don't know if I would do it this way again, but they're done...until I have to go back in six months for the second shingles shot.

Date
365 days of shaving366/362
(100%)
GRUME December28/30 (97%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving midway to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slant (SW-NE)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (S-N)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador DeluxeDorco ST300HQ (9)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)8/10 (Irritation on the neck and weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still out. Going back and forth in my mind whether or not I want a new razor or not.

So I have been reading up on RAD killers and people going minimalist to motivate me not to get anything new. Even contemplated joining GRUYERE, but the monthly GRUMEs are a challenge as it is, let a alone a full year. I am in awe of those who do.

Feeling a bit under the weather mentally this month. My shaves are a means to keep sane. I hadn’t used the Matador for some time. Yet it is one of my favourites. I at least have a soft spot for it. It is comfortable, smooth and effective - my favourite combination in a razor.

The Dorco was it of rotation due to the Discovery Blade Adventure, but I decided to give it a next run. Smooth and comfortable except when doing the ATG. I might still be in the aftermath of the Timor blade, but ATG the blade felt harsh and nicked me. I therefore retired the blade although technically I think it has more in it. It’s all ok with nee. I am going through my older blades to get ready for January Shave Yahtzee.

The Razorock Plissoft is still my favourite brush! Exceptional lathering capabilities even when loading light which I prefer to do.

Great shave to start the day I would say!

Enjoy your shave today!

Guido

Date
(100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still out. Going back and forth in my mind whether or not I want a new razor or not.

So I have been reading up on RAD killers and people going minimalist to motivate me not to get anything new. Even contemplated joining GRUYERE, but the monthly GRUMEs are a challenge as it is, let a alone a full year. I am in awe of those who do.

Feeling a bit under the weather mentally this month. My shaves are a means to keep sane. I hadn’t used the Matador for some time. Yet it is one of my favourites. I at least have a soft spot for it. It is comfortable, smooth and effective - my favourite combination in a razor.

The Dorco was it of rotation due to the Discovery Blade Adventure, but I decided to give it a next run. Smooth and comfortable except when doing the ATG. I might still be in the aftermath of the Timor blade, but ATG the blade felt harsh and nicked me. I therefore retired the blade although technically I think it has more in it. It’s all ok with nee. I am going through my older blades to get ready for January Shave Yahtzee.

The Razorock Plissoft is still my favourite brush! Exceptional lathering capabilities even when loading light which I prefer to do.

Great shave to start the day I would say!

Enjoy your shave today!

Guido
Sometimes it helps to do a rotation of your rotation to reflect on how much you already have and if there is still something needed.

In the next days I will look through my razors and group them by best shavers, best lookers and the remainder that will go to the back row.

AS I rotate by warm season/cold season and try to whittle them down as best as I can (2 to go before 1 new comes in.

Soaps/Creams is just going through my impulse buys from 2? years ago. Mostly creams first with a couple of open soaps for variety.

Blades I want to stock up on but I’m not in a hurry and might get 200-400 when I see a good offer.

Brushes are still my weak point. I could easily spend on them but they take up more space than razors and I’m on the point of choosing fatigue so that reigns me in.

I did a couple of PIF‘s in the past and would be open to trades as well. Selling is a bit of a pain as it would realistically only work within the EU…

Looking back at 2022, the urges are mostly gone. I’m not hunting for razors anymore, I don’t frantically buy soaps/creams anymore and I feel I have settled a bit. Not to say that I will not jump on something in the future but that FOMO is mostly gone as well.

Still in.

View attachment 1578979

I took a deep breath today and placed my name on the GRUYERE list. Thus I changed my avatar...

I have one successful attempt with this annual restraint events and two epic fails. I'll likely will add a third fail, however, I'll give it a try in any case.

The theme of the 2023 GRUYERE is kind of cool... "The year of The Prisoner". Quite a match.

And no doubts, my daily posts will be done in the GRUME threads...

Maybe I can convince anyone to join the list, too?

Here's the obligatory teaser...

This year's GRUYERE storyline will be The Year of The Prisoner. The theme will be based on that classic 1960’s television show The Prisoner. ...
It was a rather different TV show. The concept was a Secret Agent show, but with an entirely different take. Our Hero is, or was, a Secret Agent. In the opening, something has caused him to resign. As he contemplates his newfound freedom, he winds up subjected to sleeping gas and wakes up in a strange place. As a Prisoner. He wasn't allowed to resign, you see. And, the Powers That Be want to know why he resigned. He never does tell us. Secret, indeed, until the end.
Our hero has no name, just a Number, which is Six. The boss of The Village is Number Two. Everyone has a Number, no names are used most of the time.

No. 31 will provide you with a link... 😉

Enjoy your shaves!
Good luck in the GRUYERE, I did it successfully in 2021 and enjoyed it.

Wise words Hannes @Multum in parvo! Choosing fatigue that might be one of the best descriptions I have come across these months. Most of my urges are gone too - I did come across the GC1 somewhere (I think), but I already have a Ti95 so I think I am covered in that area as well. Blades and soaps are my most likely ADs. I am off to my shaving shop to get some goodies for one of our brothers, I think I will finally pick up a MWF puck. We’ll see!

And your rotation idea makes sense too. I will give that a go too.

Thanks,

Guido

Date
(100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Which one has caught your interest?
What do you expect from this particular razor?
So I have been reading up on RAD killers and people going minimalist to motivate me not to get anything new.
After a long sequence of RAD I have come to the conclusion there is no such thing as a RAD killing razor. You can find highly satisfying shavers. But still, and I had to face it, the RAD killer approach is an illusion as long as curiosity is in the driver seat...

Feeling a bit under the weather mentally this month. My shaves are a means to keep sane.
Go offline more often. Meet with people which bring joy to your day in real life instead...though you (and us) have already found the best subforum of B&B... 😉

Which one has caught your interest?
What do you expect from this particular razor?

After a long sequence of RAD I have come to the conclusion there is no such thing as a RAD killing razor. You can find highly satisfying shavers. But still, and I had to face it, the RAD killer approach is an illusion as long as curiosity is in the driver seat...

Go offline more often. Meet with people which bring joy to your day in real life instead...though you (and us) have already found the best subforum of B&B... 😉
hi Guido,

It’s the Green Cult 1.0 - and there is little nee other than curiosity indeed. I get stellar shaves from my Ti95 (Ann’s in that sense it has been my RAD silence for sure) and excellent shaves from the rest. I am all provided for, I know that. It is the shiny object syndrome at its finest I guess. Or FOMO, but I have that relatively less with razors.

And thanks for the advice! I am only online in this (sub!)community not much else! There is just a lot going on offline. Some give energy and this year the balance has been more towards the ones that take energy unfortunately. That’s why I am taking a short break from work this week and probably part of next week. Recharge that old battery.

Thanks for your support.

Guido

Still in 🙏🏽

Looks like I am going to complete December GRUME.
The frenzy is gone, acquisition obsession dead quiet after three days. Maybe I'll cut the months back to weeks, in order to secure my bank account at least a little more. Last month I felt like a bath tub with the plug janked out. No breaks. Nasty experience.
Well... that's all water under de bridge now.

Yesterday I shaved with the brilliant Prismatic for the sixth time in a row. The Personna Red did a good job, about the same as the Wilkie and the KCG. The Gillette 365 delivered a wee bit more comfort. But my new most beloved blade seems to be the corny illustrated Dorco Prime Platinum.
I was thinking: maybe yesterday's champion blades are now surpassed by more recently developed blades, what do you guys think?
This dirt cheap remake of the vintage Kirby razor keeps amazing me. Truly the darkest horse of dark horses of our community. Amazing phenomenon.
This Areffa soap is great, but to me it is the least spectacular of the Ukranian bunch in my den.

00FC6311-BAF3-4A16-B2CF-E539E6166F2F.jpeg

hi Guido,

It’s the Green Cult 1.0 - and there is little nee other than curiosity indeed. I get stellar shaves from my Ti95 (Ann’s in that sense it has been my RAD silence for sure) and excellent shaves from the rest. I am all provided for, I know that. It is the shiny object syndrome at its finest I guess. Or FOMO, but I have that relatively less with razors.

And thanks for the advice! I am only online in this (sub!)community not much else! There is just a lot going on offline. Some give energy and this year the balance has been more towards the ones that take energy unfortunately. That’s why I am taking a short break from work this week and probably part of next week. Recharge that old battery.

Thanks for your support.

Guido
Guido I can send you my 1.0 for some test shaves over and I believe @Jack Goossen has also one around.

Top Bottom