What's new

December 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

GRUME 💪
DecemBOAR the 27th, 2022

View attachment 1578329

Timeless Ti .68
Astra Platinum (2)
Semogue SOC
Zingariman Nomad
John,

That's a pretty setup 😀
Yesterday I mentioned that a shorter soak time for a boar brush seemed to make it easier to build a lather. Today, I tried only soaking it about a minute. Well, that wasn't long enough. I am guessing 2-3 minutes may be the sweet spot for me.
This is interesting. I'm going a different route and have started testing longer soak times with my SOC.... 15 minutes and more. 🤷‍♂️
A slick lather, the Astra blade and this razor combined for an exceptionally smooth and very comfortable shave.
I'm happy to see you are having splendid shaves with your new gem...😀

Cheers,
Guido

Still in

1959 Gillette Tech + KCG (4)
Schick type J + Supply Black Label (5 or 6)
Stephan Conditioning Cream (base)
Speick Cream
Yaqi Timber Wolf
Alum
Nivea Sensitive Skin balm
Old Spice

Shave off with a couple of vintage pieces. I prefer the Schick.

Probably my last December GRUME post as we leave for south Florida for the new year. Travel kit will be in tow. I’m calling this grume successfully completed!

Happy New Year to all!

Still in!

RR GC .68 OC loaded with a Personna Lab Blue.

20221227_083654.jpg

This is interesting. I'm going a different route and have started testing longer soak times with my SOC.... 15 minutes and more. 🤷‍♂️
Guido
It is confusing me too. :letterk1:
Most of the month, I have been soaking boars 15+ minutes and it seemed it took too much soap to get a good lather.
I'm theorizing the less saturated the bristles are, less soap is required and it is the easier to get a good lather???
Also, I'm now just soaking about half an inch of the tips.
John 🍻

Guido
Most of the month, I have been soaking boars 15+ minutes and it seemed it took too much soap to get a good lather.
I'm theorizing the less saturated the bristles are, less soap is required and it is the easier to get a good lather???
John 🍻
I see. The rationale of drowning my SOC boar brush is to reduce the pokiness of the tips. It's just this particular brush. From a lathering point of view my procedure is totally nonsense, your approach makes sense to me... but I HATE that needle-like feeling. I hate it way more than I'd hate an over hydrated lather... which rarely happens, since I flick the water out of the knot thoroughly. To outsiders, it must look like I'm trying to shake a demon out of this damned knot.... and sometimes, that's true 🤣

To outsiders, it must look like I'm trying to shake a demon out of this damned knot.... and sometimes, that's true 🤣
I imagine a lot of things us B&Bers do would seem strange to the uninitiated!!!:lol:

Today the tips were a little scritchy, so I mostly used painting strokes.
The SOC is a tough brush to break in! I call this month DecemBOAR Boot Camp (DBC...I just made that up) for the piggie trainees. It's a tough job, but somebodys gotta do it.
All my other boars have been much easier to get into shape but I have a strong hunch we'll get there with the SOC.
:a17:

I believe outsiders would use a less mild word than strange to describe what they are witnessing here.

“They rate their shaves!” would be met with more than just ‘strange’ I’m guessing 😂.

Guido
With all our jargon and knowledge of brands, models and techniques we share a common language.
Here it is OK to ask "how does a T3 compare with a Roma?"
...maybe we are a tad bit strange...:letterk1:

I imagine a lot of things us B&Bers do would seem strange to the uninitiated!!!:lol:

Today the tips were a little scritchy, so I mostly used painting strokes.
The SOC is a tough brush to break in! I call this month DecemBOAR Boot Camp (DBC...I just made that up) for the piggie trainees. It's a tough job, but somebodys gotta do it.
All my other boars have been much easier to get into shape but I have a strong hunch we'll get there with the SOC.
:a17:
Same here... my Omegas literally broke in within days... But this SOC piggy is indeed an unruly beast. Mine took approx. 50 to 60 cycles to break in. Perhaps some of the bristles broke, maybe that is why some bristles feel pokey (if not properly hydrated)...

As much as I enjoy shaving with boar brushes I'm really looking forward to returning to badger brushes again...

Cheers,
Guido

SOTD #25
- Still In -

Wonderful shave this morning.
This setup yields a great result, though the straight just isn’t quite there. This one came straight from Germany and is close, but I know where to send it to make it sing…
  • *Trumpers Eucris
  • Simpson's Duke3 - Best
  • Ralf Aust 6/8 - Horn
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Polsilver Iridium - 9
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Mentholated Clubman
* SWS
A745E015-7979-498C-A605-12F035AAA2A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Guido
John 🍻
I have used Boars now way longer than being on B&B but 3-4 minutes soaking time is plenty for me, 5 minutes max. Longer than that I feel it gets sluggish and harder to get a good later quick…

Top Bottom