What's new

December 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

RazoRock Wunderbar
RazoRock Beehive brush
Gillette 365 blade
Shavologist Kailash soap
Shavologist Kailash Skin food

IMG_20221205_095638.jpg

Excellent shave on 3 days stubble, the Wunderbar is fully dialed in, and it gave me DFS+ shave in 2 passes.

Date
365 days of shaving342/338
(100%)
GRUME December5/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes2 and touch up pass (XTG)
WXTGCB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95 SC
Timor (6)
Eddison (11)
Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Proraso
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Small weeper on the right side of the road)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (Smoothish)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in and a relaxed mindset even with Christmas approaching. For this honorary shave I brought out the big guns. The R41 took the lead for the first pass. The Timeless took the excellent first pass over the BBS finish line together with the Eddison blade.

The Omega boar was hungry again this morning and lathering up was proving more of a challenge than usual. My boar is super soft with just enough backbone. A joy to use.

Floïd's was nice and Nivea was nourishing. Nice kickstart of the week!

Enjoy your day!

Additional shave notes can be found here

GRUME...Still In! 💪
The 5th Day of DecemBOAR
Muhle/MdC Mondays

PXL_20221205_154410952.jpg

Muhle Rocca
Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
MdC Rose
Omega brush (? model)

This is a 4 for 1 day. One shave and four different threads which are all fun; especially staying 💪 in GRUME.

I am glad to have developed some experience with the Muhle razor. It is the most efficient razor I use but now I can shave with confidence and enjoy using it. The hype about the Iridium blade has not impressed me but maybe it is one that gets better after a few shaves. I was determined to get better results around my jaw and used exaggerated slide angles and contorted face and neck gestures and took a step forward with the results. I am becoming addicted to DFS++ results and getting there. One final thought. I am a type A personality and very goal oriented but shaving is a zen like experience to slow down and enjoy the process.

Take care of yourself and each other.

SOTD
  • Thin-Cap Old Type head on Rockwell handle
  • Nacet (7)
  • Yellow Ribbon Synthetic
  • Haslinger Honig - SOTM
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling South Padre ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Run AS
A restrained shave.

It had been a few days since I shaved. Friday was the last before this, IIRC, so there was plenty to scrub off.

As I usually do when a few days' growth is present, I used the TCOT, which may be my most efficient OC razor. The last time I used it, I put it on the Rockwell handle, which is far heavier than the Ball-end Tech handle upon which it is usually mounted. As before, I experienced fine results with little effort.

The brush I used - which nobody picked out when I last posted a picture of it - is a synthetic on generous loan from @tjsgarden. He had read that I've got just one synthetic, having loaned my other (favorite) to the adult son of a neighbor-friend, and spontaneously offered to send a brush with the G5C knot. Such a gentleman!

I have used the brush probably a half-dozen times and I'm on the fence about it. It's not springy, which is good, but it's stiff and doesn't seem to splay easily. On the other hand, it picks up soap pretty well and with painting strokes, it makes a nice lather. I'm having to adjust my face-lathering style pretty significantly to get the brush to work but I'm making progress and starting to see some nice results. In any case, it's out-performing my boar brushes, and I'm getting better with a new technique!

I really appreciate the opportunity to try the brush. Whether I keep it or not, the gesture from John was incredibly kind, so this is a "win" no matter how you slice it.

Onward!

SOTD_112322.jpg

(Yes, it's the same pic as before, but I didn't take a pic this morning, so there you go...)

I have used the brush probably a half-dozen times and I'm on the fence about it. It's not springy, which is good, but it's stiff and doesn't seem to splay easily. On the other hand, it picks up soap pretty well and with painting strokes, it makes a nice lather. I'm having to adjust my face-lathering style pretty significantly to get the brush to work but I'm making progress and starting to see some nice results. In any case, it's out-performing my boar brushes, and I'm getting better with a new technique!

I really appreciate the opportunity to try the brush. Whether I keep it or not, the gesture from John was incredibly kind, so this is a "win" no matter how you slice it.

Onward!
I have one brush in each category, and they all perform differently. I have the same experience, the Boar brush always requires more adjustments and effort to get a satisfactory result than when I alternate between the Badger and Synthetic.

I have one brush in each category, and they all perform differently. I have the same experience, the Boar brush always requires more adjustments and effort to get a satisfactory result than when I alternate between the Badger and Synthetic.
Some soaps respond better to boar than others. In those cases, the boar brushes are a joy to use...but not in the case of Haslinger Honig, apparently.

I have too many brushes. I'll be off-loading some brushes (and razors and watches and boots and shoes and pants and jackets) in the near future. A select few will stick around - probably three to five complete brushes, along with a couple of handles that need to be re-knotted because the current knots aren't doing the trick.

Yes! It is a win for all of us GRUMERS to have you as our thread leader.
Onward.

I prefer the title of "His Reticence the High Curator"
I wish to amend my statement quoted above.
It should have been stated:

Yes! It is a win for all of us to be honored by Sir Brandon, "His Reticence the High Curator" as a devoted leader and distinguished sponsor of the Order of GRUME. This includes us stumblers on the journey and the ones on the straight and narrow path of gentlemanly restraint.
Onward!

Top Bottom