What's new

December 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Date
365 days of shaving340/336
(100%)
GRUME December3/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2nd pass)
(NW-SE | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Flat Bottom
Timor (4)
Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Face lathering
Cold splash
Floïd (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Tiny weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Thought I would try the Timor blade in an open comb this time. The NFB is a great razor. Efficient and effective while simultaneously providing smoothness. I used the stock handle this time. That is a bit on the thinner side for me, but it makes the razor very nimble.

The combination with the Timor worked out pretty well. Two passes would have been perfectly acceptable. I just took my time and concentrated on reduction rather than speed so did a third pass. Whilst not going ATG on the moustache area and rather slanted still a BBS finish there so pleased with that. The harder parts of my beard ATG with the Timor feel harsher.

Face lathered again today taking time to really build the lather. Actually a zen side to this ritual while building the lather. The Kox Blue is an excellent lather maker at that so the shave was already off too a great start even before the passes.

Now off to do some gardening, get some soaps (for other B&B brothers) and pay a visit to the parents. See how my dad has been doing with his KCG I gave him.

Enjoy your day!

Still in.
20221203_123410-01.jpeg

Today I received my Shavemac order. The brush handle I had battled with @JWCowboy in the Saint Sue auction for a good cause now has a D01-Silvertip knot attached (that's my favourite Shavemac knot, it'll be a heck of a brush 🤩).

Prior to opening the parcel I immedialety handed it over to my wife (the brush is foreseen to become a birthday present). Not a big deal, it's DecemBoar anyway... 😉

Have a relaxed weekend, y'all!

Last edited:
Alright folks you will be playing without me, I have procrastinated in November and did not placed one of my order in time So will do so in December, I will play along and limit the amount of money spent to the bear minimum, I splurged enough past BF.

One of my package from BF is still on it's way but I will share the must recent arrival. I hear there is a tiger week blade sometimes after the shark week one.

I do have the shark blade for August Sharko (if this is is how they name it) but was missing a big cat.

IMG-0564.jpg

But the real excitement is the below :

IMG-0565.jpg

I have been wanting an adjustable razor for a long time so this is now covered, I will try to use it for must of 2023 and hopefully will not get disappointed.

For those of you in Decemboar I will see you there and will peek in here from time to time and see how you all are doing

Day 2, 6.5% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Enhancement: a few drops of glycerine
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Al Handle, Astra SP #6
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Back to the open comb .84. This time, I tried WTG, XTG and then some selective tidy-ups, skipping ATG.

The result was comfortable, and a pretty good DFS. Maybe this is the way to get seven days a week out of the open comb plate, without a build-up of irritation.

@Guido75 and @Balin, I've not tried B&M soaps yet, but just looked them up... :D
Sorry man, I didn't mean to tempt you! 😀

I find the same thing with more efficient open combs. I have switched to 2 passes to keep the irritation down. I do still include ATG on my under chin and throat area on the first pass, and the second pass on that area looks more like a XTG.

Still in

Today's shave:
brush: Stando rose wood G5A synthetic
razor: Tatara Muramasa
blade: KAI (2)
bowl: The Goodfellas' Smile wooden bowl
soap: Zingari Man The Watchman
aftershave: Proraso Blue balm

I'm genuinely impressed with KAI blades. Second use and second perfect shave without any irritation. It just glides on the skin. I'm having fun with what I already have, so no temptations for far ;)

GRUME, day 3...Still In! 💪
DecemBOAR, day 3
SV Saturday

PXL_20221203_155221422.jpg

Feather Popular
Gillette Platinum (33)
Semogue 830
SV Manna di Sicilia
Zingariman and Hydro Boost balm-Davidoff Cool Water

On the 3rd day
Hey guys, I was looking forward to this shave. This was my first use with this soap and my first post on the SV Saturday thread.
As to the shave, the past 3 times using this blade have been a little rough. I chose the Popular because it is so mild (and efficient) and easy to use. Pre-shave and lathering was excellent but the blade was still rough. My skin was not irritated and with extra touch-ups I did achieve a DFS. I still have the blade but I see no rational reason to keep using it.

Tomorrow is Synthetic Sundays so I'll take a short break in DecemBOAR.

Take care of your self and each other.

SOTD #3
- IN -

Wanted another shave with my New Chubby, which is upstairs. Was a little tired from walking last night’s Christmas Parade with my youngest - what an awesome experience for her.

4h of staging and walking was just past my limit

Have a great weekend !
  • D R Harris - Marlborough
  • Adam Grooming’s Pure Badger
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Gillette Rubie Plus - 6
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Adam Grooming’s Post Shave Balm
* SWS

Still in.

I finished off the British Leather sample and on to the Mountain Man. After the first shave I'm kind of on the fence with this scent, we'll see how it goes.

Razor: Ever Ready 1914
Blade: GEM PTFE (14)
Soap: Stirling Mountain Man (sample)
Brush: Omega 10290 Boar
AS: Aqua Velva Musk

Day 3, 9.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Al Handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

SV70's turn came round for SV Saturday. Stayed with the open comb and avoided ATG again, for a good comfortable shave.

I find the same thing with more efficient open combs. I have switched to 2 passes to keep the irritation down. I do still include ATG on my under chin and throat area on the first pass, and the second pass on that area looks more like a XTG.

Interesting. I was thinking it was the ATG doing the irritation here, but it might just be too many passes over the same area.

I should try WTG, then either XTG or ATG, depending on the area, but not both.

Last edited:
In still. Another “quick”(er) shave. I’ve found I can get a fairly good shave on the sides of my face with two passes. The chin area still requires a lot of attention. I played in the annual Christmas/Holiday concert, we are off now until mid January. This ends several very busy weeks, we have a couple of weeks breather until we are off to our next adventure.

Still in 🙏🏽

Mediocre first shave with this bakelite Hugo Pasch Sonnal. Took some time to find the right angle (heavy cap riding) before the shave improved. I must use it more often to fairly judge it, because it also has two differing sides to the head, one milder than the other. Great soap.
Look at the pristine etui this 1940's razor came in.
No craving, although in all honesty, the craving is curbed by the unmodest amount of new toys to play with.

F75F817F-C840-43DE-9A56-745EA1436B35.jpeg

Top Bottom