What's new

December 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

December GRUME, day 1...STILL IN! :biggrin1:
DecemBOAR, day 1

PXL_20221201_164532242.jpg

Muhle Rocca
Gillette Platinum (31)! (a new personal best)
Zenith 2004
Declaration Grooming Dirtyver

Cheers to a new month!
To start off DecemBOAR, I choose this brush because it is very pliable and quickly developed split-ends. The only downside is the knot is not very dense and tends to splay in clumps.
I am having to refine my technique because the Rocca is a bit more aggressive or efficient than the razors I am familiar with. It has a closer shaving angle tolerance but I enjoy using it and I adapted quickly. I just set a new personal best by using the Gillette blade for the 31st shave and it is still good to go...onward.
I discovered that I like woodsy, wet forrest, musky scents and the Dirtyver fits the bill. I made the lather a bit thin but the scent remained for two passes and touch-ups. I ended up with a DFS and a good start for a new month.

Take care of yourself and each other.
@Balin, I can relate!
@hopper_64 Welcome back to the fold!

Still in.

It's good to be back after a month break 🙂
I'm testing blades to find the perfect fit for Tatara Muramasa. So far I've tried Rapira Platinum Lux and Rapira Swedish Supersteel. Nice blades, but I don't think I will buy a 100 pack. Today however, was my first shave with Kai blade and it was a different story. I don't think I've ever used smoother blades. Really sharp and I could use even lighter touch than usual. Kais are expensive, but if I can get at least 10 shaves from a blade the cost will be acceptable 😃 Will see. Right now, great start of a new month.
Good to see you here.

Omega EVO | Tatara Muramasa | KAI | Zingari Man The Watchman | Hattric Classic

2022-12-01 18.04.07.jpg

SOTD #1
- IN -

First shave of the month and it was very, very good.
D R Harris is new to me and Marlborough did not disappoint.
I came close to dialing in the water ratio on initial use - today was just a bit thick, but not pasty
  • D R Harris - Marlborough
  • Simpson's Commodore x3 (Best)
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Gillette Rubie Plus - 4
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Speick Splash
* SWS
IMG_9754.JPG

In honor or a certain December group (which I can’t join), I got out my mini whisk broom, AKA the Omega 48 Boar. It didn’t work well with the face lather technique I have recently adopted with my Badger and synthetic brushes. The long bristles need another approach. Nevertheless, a DFS was had on my Tech and Feather!

Date
365 days of shaving339/335
(100%)
GRUME December2/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes2 and some touch ups
WXTGCB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special Edition OC
King C Gillette (28)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Face lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
10/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Wonderfully quick shave this morning. The Fatip loaded with the KCG took no prisoners (but did leave some hair behind). Smooth sailing and very comfortable to use. The blade was slightly misaligned (what? in a Fatip? no way!
:laugh:
) and I used that to my advantage in the ATG strokes.

The KCG blade is still the performer although I might have experienced less performance than usual signaling the blade has seen its best days. But we’re not there yet and so the blade was cleaned, dried and reloaded for another shave.

The little synthetic is a great latherer and worth that I went to face lathering today. I gave it extra time and attention to see if that benefited the shave. Will be doing the same thing tomorrow to check.

Really nice shave. Have a great day!

Still in - first shave of December and a BBS :)

I did my order for blades via RBC last month and naturally had a look around...
I found this common Lord L6 with a second plastic OC plate labled as "body shaver" for about 1 Euro more than the regular one.

As I consider my face a part of my body ;) I gave it a go today.

Let me tell you this is not your mild garden variety Tech clone anymore. With the OC plate it feels more like an Old Type Thin Cap, efficient and with some bladefeel. The plastic is not the smoothest and I received 2 weepers but it ramps up the performance of the Lord by quite a couple of notches.

The Pitralon Polar was a blind buy at 50% discount. It's mildly cooling but the scent is quite artificial and unpleasant. Some distant relation to AV but not a good one.

Lord.jpg

Eco.jpg

In honor or a certain December group (which I can’t join), I got out my mini whisk broom, AKA the Omega 48 Boar. It didn’t work well with the face lather technique I have recently adopted with my Badger and synthetic brushes. The long bristles need another approach. Nevertheless, a DFS was had on my Tech and Feather!
I use my boars in a similar fashion to this gent; palming the handle and grasping the base of the bristles with my thumb and forefinger.

GRUME, day 2...Still In!
DecemBOAR, day 2

PXL_20221202_155427152.jpg

Rockwell 6S, plate 4
Gillette Platinum (32)
DR. Harris Naturals
Semogue SOC
Zingariman unscented balm

On the second day,
I am in uncharted waters using a blade 32 times so I wanted to do a little experiment. I used the Rockwell because it provides a mild dependable easy shave. I am confident I did good prep and lathering but on the first pass there was some roughness. I did the best 'no pressure' strokes I could and it was OK. The second pass and touch-ups were good enough for a DFS. Tomorrow, I plan on using the Feather Popular razor because it is even more mild and tolerant. If the roughness is still there, #33 may be the end for this blade.

It is my first time using this soap and balm. They are very nice quality products. The SOC brush is special and does not cause any skin irritation.

Onward and take care of yourself and others.

Just cleaning things up a bit for CWCID. :)

1) FoolishMortal - SOMTC
2) Tjsgarden
3) Multum in parvo
4) Doti B
5) iver
6) elmo_koffman
7) BobbyB
8) Balin- SOMTC
9) cryhavoc
10) tillerman
11) LJBraaten
12) Jack Goossen