What's new

Decapitated my Muehle R89

I always thought it was funny how light the handle of my R89 was, but i'm not really laughing now...

Over the last 6 years, I haven't been so diligent about cleaning the gunk out of the threads where the razor head screws into the handle, and lately it had gotten quite firm when removing the head to change blades.

Well, last week, the head came right off the handle, threads, ferrule and everything, leaving me with just the hollow tube handle and the ferrule seized to the razor head.

I guess I have two questions --

1) What have you used to reattach ferrules? I'm thinking hot melt glue, but am open to other ideas.

2) How do i do a good job of cleaning the threads on the razor head/ferrule once i get them unseized?

Cheers and thanks
Karl

I always thought it was funny how light the handle of my R89 was, but i'm not really laughing now...

Over the last 6 years, I haven't been so diligent about cleaning the gunk out of the threads where the razor head screws into the handle, and lately it had gotten quite firm when removing the head to change blades.

Well, last week, the head came right off the handle, threads, ferrule and everything, leaving me with just the hollow tube handle and the ferrule seized to the razor head.

I guess I have two questions --

1) What have you used to reattach ferrules? I'm thinking hot melt glue, but am open to other ideas.

2) How do i do a good job of cleaning the threads on the razor head/ferrule once i get them unseized?

Cheers and thanks
Karl

I think now is a perfect time to make your handle heavier!

1) I would use epoxy, which is what I and many others have used to repair split/loose vintage handles

2) Penetrating oil for unseizing and cleaning, followed by soap for final cleaning.

I am cleaning my razor handles when attached to the head in order to prevent water entering the threaded hole.

I've found that a cotton bud (what you in the US call a 'Q tip' I think) is the perfect size for drying and/or applying light oil to the female threads, I just twist it in and it 'self taps' itself and then unwind it, it picks up any gunk that may be down there too.

I used to rinse my alloy razors under hot running water and shake dry, as I did with my Gillettes. I found corrosion beginning. After each shave, I now disassemble and wipe dry, then blow into all openings to get out any water. I then pat the blade dry and reassemble. So far, no further progression or new issues. I would try stainless for a very long lasting razor, or a good brass plated vintage.

I didn't think the ferrule came off the handle at all on the R89. I thought that handle was one piece. Are you sure it's the R89 and not one of the plastic handled models like the R106?

If it's the R106, you could try some Devcon 5 minute epoxy, but I would get the head off the ferrule first, that is if you can.

I'll post a picture later ... but i can assure you the R89 handle is a hollow metal tube with ferrules glued into both ends.

I'll post a picture later ... but i can assure you the R89 handle is a hollow metal tube with ferrules glued into both ends.

Wild, I had no idea. Well, sorry to hear about your misfortune. You might try contacting Muhle and see if there is a way you can have the razor replaced under warranty. I've never heard of this happening to one of their razors before. They may replace the razor for you.

I've found that a cotton bud (what you in the US call a 'Q tip' I think) is the perfect size for drying and/or applying light oil to the female threads, I just twist it in and it 'self taps' itself and then unwind it, it picks up any gunk that may be down there too.
+1. I do that all the time too. OCD.

It looks like Muhle and EJ handles are made of three pieces - the front chromed brass with female M5 x0.8 thread, the middle thin wall tube and the eand solid brass chromed piece. They probably glue the pieces together with epoxy. Very well assembled indeed.

OP, you should have no problem to put things together with five-minute epoxy after you clean mechanically the parts.

Yeah, gluing that ferrule back to the handle won't help world economics at all... :a31:
Oh well, actually I would glue it back and get a new (different) razor! :biggrin1:

Great suggestion and it works very well to get moisture out of the handle. The only thing you have to be careful with is do not over twist the Q-tip in threading into the head and potentially twisting the cotton bud off and losing it inside the handle. I have done that but only once. A long time to retrieve it.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Great suggestion and it works very well to get moisture out of the handle. The only thing you have to be careful with is do not over twist the Q-tip in threading into the head and potentially twisting the cotton bud off and losing it inside the handle. I have done that but only once. A long time to retrieve it.
I use a Q-tip pushing in and turning LEFT as I do so; it wil aways come out. If it's a Gillette New I put mineral oil on male and female threads; it keeps water out shaving and rinsing until you change the blade and clean your razor. For stainless I use gun grease.

When I get a new razor, I always clean the both male and female threads with a Q-tip soaked with alcohol and then lubricate with motor/machine oil. I repeat that procedure quite often.

I know that corrosion well and hate it. I've been putting a couple of drops of hair clipper oil on the threads of every new razor I get. It keeps the corrosion away for months at a time. Reapply every so often. Works great.

I don't clean the threads. I apply light machine oil on them from time to time. It lubricates the threads and keeps the limescale and soap of.

Apologies for the delay in getting the image up here! been a bit of craziness the last few days.

Thank you to everyone for your tips and comments. I've purchased Gorilla Epoxy and set aside some Q-Tips and will be spending a bit of time this Sunday repairing the R89.

Why not just buy a new one? There's nothing wrong with this old one! It just needs a little TLC. I went to safety razors because i don't like throwing things away!!

Will post pics of the results afterwards.

$IMG_00000537.jpg

Top Bottom