What's new

Decanting aftershaves

I've decanted Clubman into glass before and had excellent results, but sadly the bottle didn't hold the liquid securely enough and it evaporated, forcing me to re-cant it back into the original plastic bottle until I found something better. Just today I bought two wine bottle-sized glass bottles with cork stoppers that are quite tight. Washed them out and decanted the Clubman back into the glass - the weird thing there is the difference was almost immediately perceptible. Right from the glass bottle mere moments after decanting, it just smelled 100% better, softer, more powdery and generally more mellow.

In the other bottle I decanted 2 bottles of the Veg. These are recently purchased in the 12.5 oz size plastic. This is my first time decanting Veg into glass, so I'm hopeful the transition yields a similar result as the Clubman. I firmly believe the plastic bottle is the real issue with the Veg, not the actual fragrance itself. I so often see - and I know you guys do, too - how people have bad reactions to their first sniff of this particular Pinaud from the bottle, and usually when using it from plastic people don't smell an improvement after its been splashed on their face. The plastic just leeches and adds this urine-like element that puts people off. But after using some vintage Veg in glass, I figured it might be worth seeing if the newer formula smells better in glass.

I've decanted Clubman into glass before and had excellent results...mere moments after decanting, it just smelled 100% better, softer, more powdery and generally more mellow.
...This is my first time decanting Veg...I firmly believe the plastic bottle is the real issue...
It's true!
Decades ago, all of the Pinaud line were re-formulated specifically for the transition to plastic bottles.
Still, the results were disappointing, especially with Lilac Vegetal.
Vintage glass-bottled Veg remains superior, and even modern Veg benefits from decanting into glass.
And as you pointed out, the improvement is immediate.
Nevertheless, and despite countless posts of this nature, Pinaud doesn't seem to care...

Vintage glass-bottled Veg remains superior, and even modern Veg benefits from decanting into glass.
Nevertheless, and despite countless posts of this nature, Pinaud doesn't seem to care...

Perhaps if we started a petition based on environmental concerns with plastic we could get them to switch back to glass? :lol:

Regarding the reformulation, I suppose it was necessary but the issue is really the kind of plastic Pinauds are in. Old Spice doesn't suffer from this issue, and it's been moved to plastic. But the plastic is high quality, coated with something protective, and smells quite neutral in comparison. Pinaud's bottles are the cheapest plastic with an overt smell and nothing holding back the chemical gassing. It's like they just went for the first bottling company that came along without bothering to look into better alternatives!

5 ounce Chipotle Tabasco.

DSCN1277b.jpg

It's true!
Decades ago, all of the Pinaud line were re-formulated specifically for the transition to plastic bottles.
Still, the results were disappointing, especially with Lilac Vegetal.

I am having this issue right now. I bought a bottle of Veg and it was nice when first opened, but now I am starting to get the bus station urinal cake smell from it. I'm putting hot sauce on everything right now trying to free up a bottle.

Is my bottle toast at this point or will it still benefit being moved to glass?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
How did you peel the label?

I decanted the rest of the Clubman bottle,
filled it with water, put it in a pot of water, boiled it,
let it cool down and soak overnight,
but that label doesn't want to come off.
Fill the empty bottle with really hot, but not boiling water from the tap.
Let it sit for 15 minutes. While it is still hot and full of water, slowly and carefully peel off the label.
The heat from the water inside should soften the glue.
I've done that several times and it works a charm.

I am having this issue right now. I bought a bottle of Veg and it was nice when first opened, but now I am starting to get the bus station urinal cake smell from it. I'm putting hot sauce on everything right now trying to free up a bottle.

Is my bottle toast at this point or will it still benefit being moved to glass?
Yes. I can attest that the scent improves almost immediately when transferred to a glass vessel. But I wouldn't wait years to do it!

I'm going to decant some recent aftershave purchases into glass. A local supermarket is selling the Crystal hot sauce 6 oz. bottles for $1 each. I could order a dozen empty sauce bottles from Amazon, or I could have a dozen nice bottles plus 72 oz. of great hot sauce for less money. Tough choice!

:laugh:

1634903393954.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom