What's new

Debate with me: daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary

I didn’t mention health. I’m referring to it being pointless and excessive.
Thread is pointless. We daily shavers wouldn't be shaving daily if we thought it either pointless or excessive now would we? That you find it so pretty obviously doesn't make it a universal phenomenon.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

With all due respect, there is nothing to debate in my opinion.
It's all personal preference. People should just do what works for them.
I have nothing else to say on this matter myself.
Happy shaving folks, and remember to have fun with it. That's why we're all here.

I was in the military for 7 years. I couldn't wait to be done so I could skip shaving for as long as I wanted to. The first morning after I ETS'd, I looked at the 5'o clock shadow on my face and was so happy I didn't have to shave it off. Sure, shaving is less painful or irritating with a brush and cream or soap, but I have never loved shaving. It was still just something that had to be done. I can count the number of times I've been clean shaved since 2016 on one hand. That might change when I get my degree if I end up in a work environment where the men are clean shaved.

If people want to shave everyday, they should. If they don't, then they shouldn't.

Lately I have acquired the habit of shaving every time I shower, usually in the evening. It is a luxurious relaxing indulgence. I have no reason to deprive myself of that experience.
Since I retired, I'm in the shower and then shave camp. If I shower, I shave. For me, that's most every day when it's warm or hot. In mid-winter I might skip a day every so often. I also have a CPAP machine and find having stubble interferes with the face mask seal. Long ago I stopped seeking a BBS daily; a good nick free straight shave is my daily goal.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
What we need is an actual doctor or someone who works in the medical field to confirm this. A fairly certain is kind of uncertain.

Ps - I'm not a real doctor
I used to work in the petrochemical. A few days growth was not a problem because all life air equipment is over pressurized, so if there would be a small leakage the air goes outside and nothing can come in.
A different situation is when you only have medical mouth cabs? or what ever they are called

For my preferences and to be comfortable with how I look I believe everyday to be necessary.

That's not to say I don't very occasionally miss a day if I know I am not going out but if you were to run a playing card across my face on one of thsoe days then you better be prepared to play games requiring only 51 cards afterwards!

I have to for work so no, not shaving is not an option. Not only that, even if I didn't have to I would because I feel lazy and lethargic if I don't shave.

48 hour in-between minimum here. Face just doesn’t like it any sooner than that (and I’d definitely be sick of it in a week if I tried).

I shaved every day, including weekends and holidays, for approximately 35 years.

I switched to 4 times a week about 8 months ago. I am, however, shaving more meticulously and closer now, and doing more touch-ups; in short, being more demanding of my 4 times a week shave than I was of my daily shave.

I think what would be best for my skin in the long run would be to shave 4 times a week in the manner I used to shave daily, but now that I'm down to 4 times a week I just can't seem to stop until the shave is at least DFS. So wear and tear on the skin is probably approximately the same.

The best laid plans of mice and men, and all that........

I shave daily for several reasons. My beard grows at a rate that, even after a BBS shave, the next afternoon I can feel the stubble rubbing against my shirt collar. It irritates me greatly, sometimes even getting skin irritation apart from getting on my nerves. I also work in an environment that requires me to be clean shaven. While I cannot see stubble during most of the day, late afternoon I get that unkempt appearance. There is also stubble that grows at the corner of my mouth and it is prickly. That is really annoying. Daily shaving works for me just fine. I will not include the medical reasons I have.

Now, you naysayers, be grateful for TechClone, his buddy and his anecdotes. How else would thousands of daily shavers find out and understand that they have been doing it wrong for decades. :001_rolle

Nothing really to debate here, and like others noted, the thread is pointless. I can only conclude that daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary for TechClone and his buddy. Which is always good to know...

A general statement that daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary for all people would be a bit... narrow minded. No offense intended. Don't you think? Eh?

I have I suppose what is a medium beard type. After a BBS shave a shave the next day is not needed, even though if you were to run a playing card along my beardline you’d hear feedback. There is simply not enough growth to warrant a shave, let alone for anyone else to really notice or care.

My buddy has a full, thick, coarse beard, but yet the story is the same. 24 hour after a BBS, you simply cannot notice the growth on his face.

So from the above anecdotes, I can only conclude that daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary. Two days apart is fine and will let your skin recover, and three days is probably the best.

Do what works for you :thumbup:

I shave everyday because I don't like the feel of stubble, the Army taught me a habit I can't break and it makes me feel good.

My older cousin is an every day shaver. His facial hair growth is ferocious; within 12 hours of shaving he's already got noticeable growth and by the time he wakes up the next day he's got the equivalent of a two or three days growth on a normal face.

I'm not an every day shaver. I don't really need to be and my skin too sensitive anyway. I probably have enough growth after 24 hours that I could do it if I wanted to, but my facial hair is so light that it doesn't really start popping until day three.

If I shave daily I don't feel like I am actually shaving if that makes sense.
After 3 days it just seem like a real shave where I must be on my game. Good prep etc...
After one day I could shave with hot water and a bic and it would be sufficient

My older cousin is an every day shaver. His facial hair growth is ferocious; within 12 hours of shaving he's already got noticeable growth and by the time he wakes up the next day he's got the equivalent of a two or three days growth on a normal face.

I'm not an every day shaver. I don't really need to be and my skin too sensitive anyway. I probably have enough growth after 24 hours that I could do it if I wanted to, but my facial hair is so light that it doesn't really start popping until day three.

Your cousin may of gone through puberty twice or is a warewolf.

Top Bottom