What's new

Death. I’m against it.

My best friend died in slow motion a month ago. Another friend, her house burned to the ground,about a month after her husband died. Same time frame. I have found myself managing 2 estates, neither which are mine.

One is complicated, but easy. I know what he wants.
The other is a pain. Assignment of assets is complicated.

I burned all my personal time for the year in this. Trying to figure how to get by personally. I could bill the estate, but that seems wrong.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I offer my deepest condolences for your losses. What a staggering year you must be enduring.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with billing the estate a reasonable amount for your time and effort and certainly not for any expense you incur. You are working for your friend. There are no two ways about it. I would never expect my executor to handle my estate for free and most certainly not to go out of pocket to do so. Wrapping up an estate can be very involved, complex, and difficult. I cannot speak for your friend, but I cannot imagine that your friend ever expected you to sacrifice your own well being.

The very fact that you are asking this question shows that you are honorable and that you will act honorably.

Condolences, sir.

What suggestions do you have, so those of us who are updating wills and estate plans, can simplify things for one's executor?

Mac

If you have the means, and a trusted executor, designate funds. I refuse to profit from the estate. But figure 2,500/ month minimum, extrapolate for circumstances.

You've answered your own inquiry. Having been where you are, your premise is sound, reasonable in a complex circumstance, and certainly less expensive than if the Trustee is a practicing Attorney. In the first case, the insights you bring to a distribution of the estate will see the deceased's wishes carried out. In the second, with designations, is a challenge which can be nearly epic in the process of completion. Especially if the writ was made years ago and not updated for changes of address and alternatives should designees have passed as well.

Walter died in a simple motorcycle accident. 30-35 mph. Helmet on. We had both done the road at 90. More than once. And no, it’s still a 25mph road

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What suggestions do you have, so those of us who are updating wills and estate plans, can simplify things for one's executor?

This sort of thing is all state law, so it varies from state to state. This is one of those areas where it really is worth spending a little bit on an attorney who specializes in this sort of thing. With regard to Texas, I was taught to do at least the following:

- Provide for your executor to be compensated--best to set aside funds, but also good to provide some sort of backup or stipend
- Waive the requirement that an executor post a bond
- State that the estate may be administered by "independent administration" (so that the executor does not have to get the court to pretty much sign off on every move)
- Choose a bank's trust department or something like that as an ultimate backup executor (keep in mind that an executor does not have to take the job, so it's nice to have a backup in place so that the designated executor can feel better about passing on it)

I refuse to profit from the estate.

Compensation is not exploitation.

Sorry to hear about the double loss. I have never been in your position before but I think the approach of not making a profit but also not taking a loss (on your time) is the correct approach.

Though of course if this was a family member then I would give time freely, but I do not think that is where you are at. Thanks for sharing and I wish you all the best.

@TexLaw, Thanks for a bit of exposition. I’ve been feeling overly responsible. At some point I have to step out. I want to finish a couple negotiations, since I initiated them, and they are reasonable. I can’t back off essentiallly.

My sincere condolences. As a motorcycle rider myself, I realize that speed is only one factor in an accident. There's no need to worry stopping the crying. That will come in time. Take the time you need to grieve.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Tonight will be dedicated to drinking heavily. Not a solution, but makes crying easier. I’ve actually got a day off tomorrow. I got the kid back from San Francisco, so the critters should be good.

I’m a fricken city boy running 2 farms. Just enough time around farms to be dangerous. Neighbors are helping a lot. I’ve spent more time on a horse than in a car the last month. Luckily I love driving tractors. A couple weeks, and the season is done.

And yes, I’m buying an old Ford tractor. It’s gorgeous highway department orange. You have to spray either in a cut in the fuel line to get it started, but it runs like a champ. It’s set up for post hole digging off the rear pto. It’s slow, stupid, and always works. I love it.

Tonight will be dedicated to drinking heavily. Not a solution, but makes crying easier. I’ve actually got a day off tomorrow. I got the kid back from San Francisco, so the critters should be good.

I’m a fricken city boy running 2 farms. Just enough time around farms to be dangerous. Neighbors are helping a lot. I’ve spent more time on a horse than in a car the last month. Luckily I love driving tractors. A couple weeks, and the season is done.

And yes, I’m buying an old Ford tractor. It’s gorgeous highway department orange. You have to spray either in a cut in the fuel line to get it started, but it runs like a champ. It’s set up for post hole digging off the rear pto. It’s slow, stupid, and always works. I love it.
I caution you about the drinking. I isn't a solution. Let yourself cry and take the time to heal.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Some of my best therapy has been received on a tractor. And a horse. My condolences, my friend.

there is something about a horse's backside which is good for a man's soul.
I've expressed more emotion in a horses' face than I have in many other charged moments in my life - and the horses have always been kind in their quiet understanding.

...well all but the stallion who was out on the back forty and swore he heard the dinner bell...
(I - barely - came along for the ride. )

The old orchard forklift I have a story about, well... that didn't turn out to be a good match as a relationship...

Actually, alcohol is a solution. (chemistry)
Please accept my condolences and forgive my feeble attempt at humour.
As a motorcyclist, I understand your grief.
Takes a strong man to let the tears flow.

Top Bottom