What's new

Dear Soap Makers - A letter from a new DE shaver

Sample presentation is not important. You can put them in ziplock bags.

Nope, not in Europe. It's not like putting a scrap piece somewhere and hand write "sample" on it. The product must comply with the same rules as the regular one. The container must be cosmetic grade, sterilized, properly labeled, registered with the authorities. The product must pass all the tests again (microbiological, etc)! It's an expensive process.

It's simple economics. Samples are a complete pain for a small soap maker and are costly to produce from a labor standpoint. If a small maker is able to sell all the soap that they make without having to bother with the samples then why would they want this burden. I'd love it if every provider offered reasonably priced samples but I don't see it happening. You'll get lots of reasons why they don't offer them but what it comes down to is they are difficult to make and not as profitable once you consider the effort of packaging and shipping them.

While I do enjoy this passaround quite a bit (I'm even helping to moderate it) I'd suggest that you check out this one instead:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ing-a-soap-sample-passaround-box-any-interest

I'd recommend you get your post count up and get active on the forum so that you can participate in it. Your frustrations are exactly why I've started it.

Also, here's a tip for trying a new soap. Whenever I purchase a full tub of any soap I use a plastic spoon to pull a small sample of it to lather in a cheap plastic salsa bowl instead of directly on the soap. If you find you have a reaction to the soap or just don't care for it, it's a whole lot easier to sell or trade a brand new soap with a sample removed via a plastic spoon than one that has been lathered on the soap. Many here won't even consider using a used soap due to personal concerns so doing it this way will allow you to sell or trade it to just about anybody as a mostly brand new soap.

Last edited:
Your idea is good but your execution of economics is not.

Many here gp go through trial and error. Buy the soap, if you don't like it, trade it for something else because I guarantee you, there will always be someone that likes the soap you don't and that doesn't like the one you want to try

Nope, not in Europe. It's not like putting a scrap piece somewhere and hand write "sample" on it. The product must comply with the same rules as the regular one. The container must be cosmetic grade, sterilized, properly labeled, registered with the authorities. The product must pass all the tests again (microbiological, etc)! It's an expensive process.

This is becoming more prevalent here as well due to cGMP practice

I an of the opinion that half-size pucks would solve the problem pretty well. and I'm on record stating that I would pay more than half the price for a half-sized puck.
I think it would also be easier for the soapmaker, but since I'm not one, I can't say for sure.

Well said. I agree with this 100%. I'd even be happy with sending one sample to to test shave, but send a little piece of each scent just to test the smell. That should really lower the cost.

While I do enjoy this passaround quite a bit (I'm even helping to moderate it) I'd suggest that you check out this one instead:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ing-a-soap-sample-passaround-box-any-interest

I'd recommend you get your post count up and get active on the forum so that you can participate in it. Your frustrations are exactly why I've started it.

Also, here's a tip for trying a new soap. Whenever I purchase a full tub of any soap I use a plastic spoon to pull a small sample of it to lather in a cheap plastic salsa bowl instead of directly on the soap. If you find you have a reaction to the soap or just don't care for it, it's a whole lot easier to sell or trade a brand new soap with a sample removed via a plastic spoon than one that has been lathered on the soap. Many here won't even consider using a used soap due to personal concerns so doing it this way will allow you to sell or trade it to just about anybody as a mostly brand new soap.

This sounds like a great idea...

Forget the samples, with so much variety even in a brand, I just wish the "full size" was 2oz instead of 4-8. I can't use that much soap, and I could take more chances on a $10 soap.

Edit: before folks mention it, I know Stirling is at my proposed price point.

I an of the opinion that half-size pucks would solve the problem pretty well. and I'm on record stating that I would pay more than half the price for a half-sized puck.
I think it would also be easier for the soapmaker, but since I'm not one, I can't say for sure.

I too am new to DE shaving (3 1/2 weeks) and have not yet tried any soaps, but will in the future.

Two sizes of pucks sounds about right, as long as the price of the half size is still reasonable (not 4oz = $20, but 2oz = $15-16. Maybe 2oz = $11-12). Could get the variety for just a little more cost. If you really like one and want more, get the larger size for better value. If you don't it's $12 instead of $20, and then PIF.

They only had four different scents, but fendrihan.ca / fendrihan.com had two sizes of pucks in their house brand. Slightly less than half size and slightly less than half price.

One reason I love Stirling. Not only do they offer samples on all of the scents, but they are reasonably priced. For the size, you get quite a few opportunities to try the soap.

Maggards already does samples for some artisans they sell, but not others. Seems like a lost opportunity for those who aren't participating.

Love Sterling!

The 3 companies I have purchased from are Mystic Waters, Stirling, and Maggard and they all have samples. I guess I just assumed they all did. :001_unsur

Maggard is ncie, since you can also get samples from other brands. I haven't used Garry's Sample Shop, but others often recommend that, as well.

Last edited:
wet shaving products WSP offer samples of all their soaps. I take *** out of the tiny tins and press it into lids of frosting containers. works great.

Why can't soap makers produce samples and sell them in a multi-pack? For example, if a 4oz puck costs $20, could they sell 4x1oz pucks for $20? This way they gross the same $ and the consumer gets to try a bunch. I'm not a soap maker so perhaps it costs more to stamp out 4 1oz pucks than it does 1 4oz puck. Does anyone know?

Why can't soap makers produce samples and sell them in a multi-pack? For example, if a 4oz puck costs $20, could they sell 4x1oz pucks for $20? This way they gross the same $ and the consumer gets to try a bunch. I'm not a soap maker so perhaps it costs more to stamp out 4 1oz pucks than it does 1 4oz puck. Does anyone know?

I keep asking myself the same question, but didn't want to ruffle any feathers of those who posted saying it's not economically feasable...

Citing prices at Mystic water, a full size puck is $9.91. A sample is 1/8 of a puck. Samples are sold for 3 for $3.50 ($1.17 each, slightly less than the $1.24 based on 1/8 puck).

If I buy 9 samples, and end up buying 4 full sized pucks, how is this not to the seller's advantage?

It's certainly better for the seller than no sale at all if I can't try the wares... Right?!?

Last edited:
I do consider it worth my while to sell samples although to the cost of the soap one must add the price of small zip lock bags, labels and printer cartridges, special envelopes for shipping and the time spent in preparing samples, that could probably be spent more profitably actually making soap or other products. But I'd much rather provide samples and let people choose something that they really like when they decide to make a purchase. Oh, and I'm a she, not a he...

I do consider it worth my while to sell samples although to the cost of the soap one must add the price of small zip lock bags, labels and printer cartridges, special envelopes for shipping and the time spent in preparing samples, that could probably be spent more profitably actually making soap or other products. But I'd much rather provide samples and let people choose something that they really like when they decide to make a purchase. Oh, and I'm a she, not a he...

I fully understand and appreciate the cost of doing business, both in time and resources, and it truly is appreciated and deserves fair compensation.

Also, at least for me, it leads to a purchase...

And, sincerely, no offense intended by my ignorance, assumptions, and misplaced pronouns...

Top Bottom