What's new

Dear Soap Makers - A letter from a new DE shaver

Ah, but would you buy $20 worth of apples of a kind you've never tried before? Or just one apple to see if you like it?

Didnt mean it to be rude or anything. But yes i routinely buy shaving soaps based on just a few mini reviews that fellow members here have posted. But I understand not everyone has that kind of financial freedom. But i also understand how annoying it can be make samples and shipping samples feasible. There are already so many timeless classics (Cella, Arko, Proraso etc) that can get cost friendly shaves, that in MY opinion if money is an issue stick to the classics and leave the fancy artisan blind purchases to those who love taking a risk and thrill! But to each their own right :)

Didnt mean it to be rude or anything. But yes i routinely buy shaving soaps based on just a few mini reviews that fellow members here have posted. But I understand not everyone has that kind of financial freedom. But i also understand how annoying it can be make samples and shipping samples feasible. There are already so many timeless classics (Cella, Arko, Proraso etc) that can get cost friendly shaves. But to each their own right :)

I didn't think you were being rude at all! :)

Honestly, if I had unlimited funds, I wouldn't hesitate to simply rely on reviews, recommendations, and descriptions that appeal to me, buy those that appealed to me, and PIF or trade the ones that weren't working for me.

Since that's not the case, until I get some more experience with what's out there and what I like to aid me in my purchasing decisions, I have to rely more on trying something first, rather than taking the chance to buy sight unseen.

I didn't think you were being rude at all! :)

Honestly, if I had unlimited funds, I wouldn't hesitate to simply rely on reviews, recommendations, and descriptions that appeal to me, buy those that appealed to me, and PIF or trade the ones that weren't working for me.

Since that's not the case, until I get some more experience with what's out there and what I like to aid me in my purchasing decisions, I have to rely more on trying something first, rather than taking the chance to buy sight unseen.

That's valid. It's easier for me because I have converted now a dozen of my cousins and friends and co-workers, that if i buy a DUD i can trade it with someone. But i see that not everyone has access like that.

... a 10 grams soap sample should cost more or less just like the 200 grams full size.

What happens if a maker regularly offers samples for sale, and people start to buy those samples instead of the real thing?

is it economically viable to regularly sell samples in the shop?

There are oh-so-many fun solutions to these problems! You could offer sample bundles of different scents together, if you need to sell all 200 grams at once. You could offer different sizes at different price-points. You could include samples with purchases of other products. You could offer samples in limited quantities. You could offer samples exclusively to *certain* online forums (ahem ahem :lol:).

Is it economically viable to regularly sell samples in the shop? With a bit of creativity and some basic cost accounting, absolutely so! You mentioned the cost of R&D; the market research right here on this forum of your target customers shows that there is an unmet need in the market and this is something that lots of people who are so obsessed with shaving that they spend their free time talking about it obsessively with strangers on the internet​ are apparently spending a lot of time looking for!

Not offering samples when your competitors do means that there will be a percentage of your target market who never tries you product, and ends up building loyalty with other brands. What is the average lifetime value of a PannaCrema customer? Multiply that by the number of folks who only try soaps from brands that offer samples and that is your potential opportunity cost for not offering samples. More importantly, how do you feel as an artist about so many people missing out on your craft?

So a better question may be, is it economically viable not to regularly sell samples in the shop?

I understand and agree, in a way, but as a soap maker let me add something. The cost of a soap is not in the soap ingredients, it's in R&D, the making process, the container, and other hidden costs. For this reason, a 10 grams soap sample should cost more or less just like the 200 grams full size. That being unacceptable for the customer, producers would be forced to sell samples at a reduced price

I would counter that you are accounting for R&D when you determine a soap's cost per ounce/centigram. Samples shouldn't cost more for the soap per unit, but we also would expect container cost and labor for preparing samples to be part of the cost. A sample may cost $2 for 10 grams compared to $10 for 100g and we the Consumers are okay with it. I'd rather try 5 scents when exploring a new vendor for my first order, then go back for a full size of my favorites later.

And if your business model is for $X profit per order (instead of measuring per soap quantity moved) there are options like others here have mentioned, such as sample packs instead of individual samples.

Last edited:
I fully understand and appreciate the cost of doing business, both in time and resources, and it truly is appreciated and deserves fair compensation.

Also, at least for me, it leads to a purchase...

And, sincerely, no offense intended by my ignorance, assumptions, and misplaced pronouns...

No offense taken! :001_cool:

Despite all the back and forth, I think the answer is clear: if the artisan wants to go through the effort of creating samples, they will. If not, they're probably doing enough business from full pucks and the cost/benefit analysis results in no samples.

Luckily, there are plenty of ways to trade away soaps to others if you find one not to your liking! Or, even better, PIF them!

I've been thinking about the trade-off between cost per ounce (or per shave) vs. total outlay. I'm not sure if I'm interested in ubiquitous samples, but I do like the idea of smaller pucks for less money even if the price per x his higher than average. Just look at Haslinger. The soaps are around $4 oz. but because they sell 60 gram pucks you pay $9 instead of $17 or $18. I think that's a good trade-off.

I agree with you 100%. I too would be willing to try some of these soaps if samples were available. The same thing goes for aftershaves.

+1. Perhaps you could consider starting a B&B forum dedicated to "Samples." This could include the website.

You don't have to wait for the vendor either. Round up others that are interested in a sample of a soap and do a group buy.

Soap Commander is definitely worth a try for their samples. Nine different ones for $20 shipped, easily got 5 shaves per sample if not more..YMMV..

Gather several guys up. Everyone buy a different puck from different vendors. Or 1 guy buy the soaps split them up and divide the costs.

Top Bottom