What's new

Dear Soap Makers - A letter from a new DE shaver

Dear Soap Makers,

I am still very new to the world of wet shaving and DE razors. However, for the last two and a half months, I've been on a wonderful journey of discovery that has opened the door to a new hobby that I tremendously enjoy, and plan on actively embracing and participating in for the forseeable future.

I understand that I still have a lot to learn, but I've come a long way in a short amount of time, and gained knowledge and experience, and have begun to build a base of understanding my own personal preferences for the tools of the trade, and a fine appreciation of the concept of "YMMV".

In this time, one of the things I have enjoyed the most has been experiencing the different soaps, both as implements to improving the actual mechanical shaving process, but mostly through the aesthetic experience of the various scents.

I realize it's only a small fraction of the available products, but I've tried 17 different soaps from 5 different manufacturers. Most have been extremely pleasant and enjoyable. A few have been extraordinary. A couple have been absolutely rank, in my opinion.

Which brings me to the point of this open letter - I enjoy trying new soaps. I have a long wish list of soaps that intrigue me, and I look forward to trying. However, the economic reality is that I don't possess the resources to immediately purchase them all outright, therefore I must carefully decide the priority of my purchase. Also, weighing heavily on the back of my mind is the possibility that I may make a significant investment in a product only to find it unappealing, only to be used once or twice, then relegated to the back of the cupboard (I exaggerate, as I would gladly trade or PIF, as I'm sure there's someone out there who would enjoy and use it).

SO WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR ME TO GET A SAMPLE OF YOUR SOAP?!?!?!?

I have had a wonderful experience with Reef Point Soaps and Dapper Dragon, where literally every soap in their line is offered as a sample. I've also purchased many samples from Maggard Razors who offer a selection from companies that otherwise don't provide them.

I don't wish to speak for anyone else, but I believe I'm not alone in saying that IF I COULD TRY YOUR PRODUCT, I WOULD PROBABLY BUY YOUR PRODUCT…

Reviews only say so much, and from someone's perspective of whom I have no idea how closely our tastes and preferences align, it's a crap shoot…

A website description only goes so far… Also, that could lead me down another line of commentary about facts versus hyperbole - yes, we know about how it will make my face more friction free than a teflon pan, how you formulated your recipe from an ancient manuscript you acquired that even Lara Croft and Indiana Jones couldn't get their hands on, and how if you could smell a rainbow and be kissed by an angel, it would be nothing compared to your soap…

I don't want it for free… I don't expect something for nothing… I just want to be able to smell it and feel it and get 2 or 3 shaves out of it, then give you more (potentially a LOT more) money if I like it. Oh, and I want the option to purchase a sample of everything you offer. Not just one or 2 varieties. That's as good as you losing the sale if I can't try it. Yes, I'm sure one or two soaps are quite representative of the performance of your product. That's not the data I'm after... It's about the scent...

Again, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I don't think so…

So what do you say? Can you help a guy out here?

I'm not trying to be the "ugly consumer" and threatening to "take my business elsewhere", but guess what? If I can get a sample of something that looks promising, and I try it and like it, you WILL get my business, not to mention a loyal, lifetime customer who will also actively promote and recommend your product to others… If I can't try it, I'll likely move on to another product that I can experience before making a major commitment. And if I take the risk, and buy sight unseen and have a bad experience, every other product you offer may be amazing, and perfect for me, but I'm not about to find out and risk throwing away another $20.

Thanks for listening,

David

I'm pretty much on board for this. I not only have the concerns of fragrance not being nice but I have the added concern of fragrance irritation. I pretty much only buy soaps I can sample with the only exception being caties bubbles which I recklessly bought full pucks from recently. I like artisans that offer samples and to me it is the mark of someone that has confidence in their product.

My favorites for offering samples of everything they make are Soap commander, Reef Point, Wet Shaving Products, chiseled face and Barrister and Mann.

For me it doesn't have to be every scent though but just offer three or four for people to try.

Dear Soap Makers,

I am still very new to the world of wet shaving and DE razors. However, for the last two and a half months, I've been on a wonderful journey of discovery that has opened the door to a new hobby that I tremendously enjoy, and plan on actively embracing and participating in for the forseeable future.

I understand that I still have a lot to learn, but I've come a long way in a short amount of time, and gained knowledge and experience, and have begun to build a base of understanding my own personal preferences for the tools of the trade, and a fine appreciation of the concept of "YMMV".

In this time, one of the things I have enjoyed the most has been experiencing the different soaps, both as implements to improving the actual mechanical shaving process, but mostly through the aesthetic experience of the various scents.

I realize it's only a small fraction of the available products, but I've tried 17 different soaps from 5 different manufacturers. Most have been extremely pleasant and enjoyable. A few have been extraordinary. A couple have been absolutely rank, in my opinion.

Which brings me to the point of this open letter - I enjoy trying new soaps. I have a long wish list of soaps that intrigue me, and I look forward to trying. However, the economic reality is that I don't possess the resources to immediately purchase them all outright, therefore I must carefully decide the priority of my purchase. Also, weighing heavily on the back of my mind is the possibility that I may make a significant investment in a product only to find it unappealing, only to be used once or twice, then relegated to the back of the cupboard (I exaggerate, as I would gladly trade or PIF, as I'm sure there's someone out there who would enjoy and use it).

SO WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR ME TO GET A SAMPLE OF YOUR SOAP?!?!?!?

I have had a wonderful experience with Reef Point Soaps and Dapper Dragon, where literally every soap in their line is offered as a sample. I've also purchased many samples from Maggard Razors who offer a selection from companies that otherwise don't provide them.

I don't wish to speak for anyone else, but I believe I'm not alone in saying that IF I COULD TRY YOUR PRODUCT, I WOULD PROBABLY BUY YOUR PRODUCT…

Reviews only say so much, and from someone's perspective of whom I have no idea how closely our tastes and preferences align, it's a crap shoot…

A website description only goes so far… Also, that could lead me down another line of commentary about facts versus hyperbole - yes, we know about how it will make my face more friction free than a teflon pan, how you formulated your recipe from an ancient manuscript you acquired that even Lara Croft and Indiana Jones couldn't get their hands on, and how if you could smell a rainbow and be kissed by an angel, it would be nothing compared to your soap…

I don't want it for free… I don't expect something for nothing… I just want to be able to smell it and feel it and get 2 or 3 shaves out of it, then give you more (potentially a LOT more) money if I like it. Oh, and I want the option to purchase a sample of everything you offer. Not just one or 2 varieties. That's as good as you losing the sale if I can't try it. Yes, I'm sure one or two soaps are quite representative of the performance of your product. That's not the data I'm after... It's about the scent...

Again, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I don't think so…

So what do you say? Can you help a guy out here?

I'm not trying to be the "ugly consumer" and threatening to "take my business elsewhere", but guess what? If I can get a sample of something that looks promising, and I try it and like it, you WILL get my business, not to mention a loyal, lifetime customer who will also actively promote and recommend your product to others… If I can't try it, I'll likely move on to another product that I can experience before making a major commitment. And if I take the risk, and buy sight unseen and have a bad experience, every other product you offer may be amazing, and perfect for me, but I'm not about to find out and risk throwing away another $20.

Thanks for listening,

David

Well said. I've been pretty lucky as a newbie with getting full size pucks I enjoy. Although this may be since I (maybe foolishly) have only bought soaps that seem to have large followings and tons of reviews.

Sounds like you've found your calling!

You can start your own home based biz. Buy the little containers, soaps, and start shoving the soap into them.
You can buy and try the soap, tax write off, then sell the rest for profit.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 316
David - Well written open letter. Hopefully some day the other soap manufactures will wake up and smell the shave soaps!!

One reason I love Stirling. Not only do they offer samples on all of the scents, but they are reasonably priced. For the size, you get quite a few opportunities to try the soap.

Maggards already does samples for some artisans they sell, but not others. Seems like a lost opportunity for those who aren't participating.

Thank you to all for making me aware of other companies who have samples available! I'm looking forward to checking them out, and getting some!

As I said, very new to the wet shaving world, so I freely admit I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks to all of you, and B&B, it's been truly informative, and in a great atmosphere of friendship, community, and folks enjoying each others' company around a common interest.

Thanks again for the advice and support, and I look forward to learning more.

David

Forget the samples, with so much variety even in a brand, I just wish the "full size" was 2oz instead of 4-8. I can't use that much soap, and I could take more chances on a $10 soap.

Edit: before folks mention it, I know Stirling is at my proposed price point.

Last edited:
I agree with you 100%. I too would be willing to try some of these soaps if samples were available. The same thing goes for aftershaves.

I've yet to encounter a soap maker that won't give you a sample. Many of them have them for sale on their website, and the ones that don't will generally ship you one if you ask nicely. This is true of LASS, Em's Place, Mystic Water, and Chargin Valley.

I understand and agree, in a way, but as a soap maker let me add something. The cost of a soap is not in the soap ingredients, it's in R&D, the making process, the container, and other hidden costs. For this reason, a 10 grams soap sample should cost more or less just like the 200 grams full size. That being unacceptable for the customer, producers would be forced to sell samples at a reduced price, or give them for free, giving up on profit; it's a net loss, even though it makes perfectly sense in anticipation of the "true" sale, but that could never happen!

What happens if a maker regularly offers samples for sale, and people start to buy those samples instead of the real thing?

For perfumes I think it's the same, it's not just the "liquid" to be expensive, and I assume it's the reason why samples are offered only to resellers, and in some rare cases free to the public, but here in Italy for example, you have to ask for samples in a perfumery, they are not on the shelves. I'm not sure if you can buy a perfume sample online. To continue with the perfumes analogy, a perfume or a shaving soap perceived value is not only about the mere performance, it's a whole experience. Presentation is important, and as a consumer you perceive the quality of a product also as it is presented. This is even more true for shaving soaps, where the container is functional to the brush loading! Maybe the container has a particular size that is designed to improve the loading performance.

That said I'll have to make soap samples sooner or later as distributors ask me that all the time, but still, is it economically viable to regularly sell samples in the shop?

I think that MrDentini brought up some important points. Will over at B&M stated a while ago that he wouldn't sell samples anymore because the price of his samples didn't offset the amount of labor done. Tikibar soaps, I don't see Amanda offering shave soap samples any longer on her website or on etsy. Mike's Natural Soaps still offers samples, but the price per ounce for a sample is 3.5 times that of a full bar. The markup on decants of the quality perfumes is even worse. But in that case, I'd rather spend $8 for a few applications rather than $200+ for a juice I might not like. The initial outlay is out of my price range.

Stirling is amazing. You get a nice sized sample for a more than reasonable price. But they're the exception to the rule...

I totally agree that it would be nice if we could always have samples to try before we buy. Unfortunately, I don't think it's something that can come to full fruition. $20 for a 5 oz. puck is nothing to sneeze at, but $2 for a 1/2 - 1 oz. sample? It might be easier to just buy, try, and re-sell the full package if I don't like a particular soap.

I too agree that soap makers should make samples of their product available, especially if we're talking about high priced ones. Not too much because of the "liking" factor, but, in my case, i simply can't use some soaps out there, as they burn my face. Most of the soaps are not dermatologically tested, so having to end up with a $20 soap that i can't really use it without combining it with creams or something like that, it's a pity. I don't have a problem with dermatologically tested products, like Proraso, as i'm getting an assurance that there are bigger chances for that soap not to be unpleasant for me, but as far as artisan soap makers go, there is a problem...

The cost of a soap is not in the soap ingredients, it's in R&D, the making process, the container, and other hidden costs. For this reason, a 10 grams soap sample should cost more or less just like the 200 grams full size.

That said I'll have to make soap samples sooner or later as distributors ask me that all the time, but still, is it economically viable to regularly sell samples in the shop?

I think this answer makes the most sense. If a 4oz puck costs $20, would you be prepared to pay $12 for a 1/2oz sample? I doubt it. Its the same reason why a 12 can pack of Coca-Cola costs $4 and a single can costs $1.50. Its called economies of scale.

What happens if a maker regularly offers samples for sale, and people start to buy those samples instead of the real thing?

What's happening with perfumes. If you want the nice bottle, you pay more per ml. If you want just the juice, you can get 5ml samples that cost less. Like your Nuavia line or Tabac. You are getting the nice container with the price. There are luxury products. People will pay good money for a nice looking container. The price of the sample will be included in that nice $50 soap with container.

Sample presentation is not important. You can put them in ziplock bags.

Top Bottom