What's new

Dear Face Lathering Badger Brush Users, which KNOT SHAPE do you prefer?

I prefer fan or hybrid knots because I like more of the bristles against my face making me feel like I'm getting the most out of the knot. The only bulb knot I tried was a silvertip from The Golden Nib. I liked it a bit more when it broke in due to the fact that it had a lot of splay due to it being set higher in the handle. I would imagine a bulb with more backbone would have fewer hairs touching my face.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm not following the logic here, Rave.

If the centre is splayed, surely that pushes the side bristles out too. If anything, you'd want a dished top (reverse bulb) to achieve tips in contact even if part of the brush splayed. I'm having trouble getting my head around the centre splaying, but the outside not splaying.

I can understand it for painting strokes, like someone mentioned above, where the lower tips may be in play, followed by the taller hair laid down, but not the centre of the brush splayed from a circular motion.
Painting is a back and forth motion with the brush. Splay occurs when a circular motion is applied with the brush. When I talk of splay I am always referring to a circular motion with a small s in splay not a capital S. If you don't mash the brush there are always tips coming around exfoliating the face in a circular motion at all times. I find it quite optimal with a bulb. Think of the brush like a safety razor and the zero pressure rule. Pressure is the enemy unless you're uncas lol. Then remember zero pressure is the rule but not the absolute truth. There is always pressure. It comes down to finesse and technique.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I prefer fan or hybrid knots because I like more of the bristles against my face making me feel like I'm getting the most out of the knot. The only bulb knot I tried was a silvertip from The Golden Nib. I liked it a bit more when it broke in due to the fact that it had a lot of splay due to it being set higher in the handle. I would imagine a bulb with more backbone would have fewer hairs touching my face.
My Whipped Dog HMB bulb knot has a lot of backbone. It seems like it is all backbone for a badger hair. It also is somwhere inbetween a silvertip and a pure in feel. All I feel are tips when using it.

that is NOT "experience."
Doing the same thing over the years is not experience.

That word comes from Latin, It's about experimentation.
In the same way an expert is a person who tried (and failed) most options in specific situations.
Until to find his (or her) best one.

Top Bottom