What's new

Dear Barber Shave Biscuit -- Lathering Issue

I bought a Dear Barber Shave Biscuit earlier this year (dearbarber.co.uk). I cannot get it to lather to my satisfaction. For me, it's wimpy and watery. But, the slickness allows for a decently comfortable shave. The scent is great.

As I shave, the thin, watery lather drops off my razor. I would have worried in the past about it falling to the floor and making a mess, but in these latter years, the dripping lather is shortstopped before it could ever considering making it anywhere near my toes.

Anyway, how can i go about getting a thicker lather from this soap?

Sounds like commercial shaving soaps intended for machine produced lather sold over on this side of the pond. It's high unlikely it will produce a typical shaving soap lather by hand.

That said, you can probably get better lather by putting some hot water on the soap and soaking it a bit before attempting to make lather, and load your brush until you have picked up a decent amount. If the soap is rock hard, as I assume it is (and contains significant sodium salts of fatty acids instead of potassium) it won't dissolve very quickly and will take quite a while to transfer to your brush.

I get great shaves from Williams with the lather so thin it drips off the razor, you don't need mounds of dry foam to shave.

Top Bottom