What's new

Dealing With Paranoia... Tips?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Stay off of social media, take a break from the news, a complete sabbatical of watching the nightly news, reading the paper, or listening to talk radio, and find a real human being to talk to. Lots of good suggestions on here. You don't necessarily have to take pills but finding someone to talk to, professional or otherwise, is key.....

Second this - and take no advice from the web, as in that I am giving you ..

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Nothing wrong with vigilance in this world in which we live. If you think your vigilance is at an unacceptable level...start praying with scripture. Ask Christ to help...to open your heart. We were, all of us, created to be people of great love and to care for one another. Put your faith and trust in God. God will open your heart to those around you. Again, nothing wrong with being wise and prudent, but only you know if there's a problem.

You can always talk to clergy.

Folks, military and law enforcement service has made me very paranoid. War and dealing with drug addicts does that.
I'm told that my 'actions' are hypervigilance. Keep checking the doors and windows. Always carry a loaded gun and spare magazines. The dogs are for security, not comfort (but I like them anyway). Do a quick up-and-down check of everybody who can get close to you. Do NOT reveal any personal details about yourself (I've sent and received things on this forum, but nobody has my home address). Lock up anything you don't want stolen when expecting company.

If you're dealing with this too, how do you stay sane? What are your tips and tricks? I've tried the VA and local veterans meetings. No go. The VA just wants you to take pills, and the veterans meetings usually end with a sob session or a comparison of war stories.

Major depression, OCD, PTSD, major anxiety, social anxiety here. Been in treatment for the better part of 20 years, including times of therapy and ongoing medication ("pills") efforts. Veteran, but no combat related experience. Speaking from my own experience, what you are describing is classic hyper-vigilance and generally unhealthy. I don't claim to know what it's like to have been in military combat and I have an unpopular opinion about how law enforcement is generally done in the US. That's not germane to the discussion here.

Anyway, and especially this last year, how do I stay sane? Meditation, relaxation exercises, being aware of where my mindset is and when I need to cut off from the news and social media. Facebook and Twitter are especially toxic lately. Staying connected to my loved ones, especially the ones who see me every day. I also use them to help check myself when I am not sure if I'm acting in a reasonable way. Trust that the people who know you when they tell you that you're not acting "right."

I don't do group meetings with the VA. However, I know from some of my education (I have an AA in psychology) and experience that medication is often a huge challenge to get dialed in. I'm *still* working on getting the best medication regimen after all these years. What makes it worse is knowing that sometimes, even a good regimen will stop working for unknown reasons.

Every time you make a medication change, it can take 8-12 weeks to stabilize. It can be frustrating when you are in the process of finding what works for you. And medication doesn't help some people. I know that in my case, depression etc. are genetic. It runs in my family. Both of my brothers are on antidepressants, I am on ADs, antipsychotics (off-label, not for clinical psychosis and hallucinations), and medication that is primarily anti-seizure, but also used for psychiatric and migraine conditions (I also live with migraines, but that's a whole 'nuther problem). My daughter also lives with depression and anxiety. I am looking forward to her getting insurance so that she can get into treatment, too.

Medication isn't a cure-all, it's not a quick-fix, and it sure as Hell isn't sign of weakness. Taking medication to treat mental health problems is no different than a diabetic taking insulin or a cancer patient getting chemo. We, as a society, need to stop viewing mental health problems as a personal failing or weakness. It's the sign of a reasonable mind trying to come to terms with an unreasonable situation.

Same here, cops and the paramedic, 30 years all in. Best advice is don't bottle it up talk about it to anyone, some one. You're not alone bud. 🥺

100% this. You're not the only one out there. And, as a first responder, please take a look at the Code Green Campaign website and resources.

Professional psychologist that specializes in post traumatic. Much progress has been made on this front in recent years and is your best bet.

Also, I've seen medication help a lot of guys. Don't deny yourself a possible valuable tool lightly.

QFT, as the kids used to say in my day. Quoted for truth.

Is there evidence that the Nashville bomber was suffering paranoid schizophrenia, and off his meds?

On ABC World News Tonight, they said yesterday (29 Dec 2020) that he believed that "shape-changing lizard people wearing human skin" were involved in some plot or another, as well as other equally bizarre conspiracy theories. Tonight, 30 DEC 2020, they reported that he was bipolar and not on medication.

Anyway, it sounds like you're suffering. Know that there are some of us who are in the boat with you. The fact that you're talking and reaching out is a very good sign. I urge you to go back to the VA, get in touch with not just a psychiatrist (who prescribes pills for mental health issues) but also get in touch with a psychologist, especially one who specializes in military PTSD and works with CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and/or EMDR (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) which has shown some incredibly promising results with PTSD patients.

I know it can seem really damned dark, but there is light out there. And just in case you need it, here's a link to the Veteran's Crisis Line: Veterans Crisis Line: Suicide Prevention Hotline, Text & Chat - https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 — by text (838255), and through chat (VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat).

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I've tried tons of different medications, and the side effects are worse than what I've already got. I know it's a matter of finding the right one, but even the past two psychiatrists have told me we're about out of options.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I am no expert, but therapy has done well for me. The only way for me to heal was to open my wounds and share them.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I've tried tons of different medications, and the side effects are worse than what I've already got. I know it's a matter of finding the right one, but even the past two psychiatrists have told me we're about out of options.

It's a dynamic situation, and improvement via other therapeutic interventions, may change which supporting medication is best suited for you. If you do go down the psychotherapy route, I would suggest seeking out psychodynamic strategies such as Gestalt therapists, over Person Centred therapy (Counselling), as I don't think that will be "enough" of a catalyst for positive change for you. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy may provide a good supporting framework for alternative behavioural patterns too.

Once a few layers of burden have been shed, unresolved issues addressed, old patterns of behaviour loosened or broken, and new more helpful behaviours developed, your brain chemistry will change, and your pharmaceutical needs would change accordingly. Some of the meds which were not right for you before, may be better aligned with your needs in future. So as things change and improve, do be prepared to revisit old things that you might not have been ready for last time.

So, I take it you do have a diagnosis. I assume it is PTSD. Here is the VA's web site on PTSD. VA.gov | Veterans Affairs - https://www.ptsd.va.gov/ Seems pretty complete to me. The VA and the psychotheraputic community in general have a lot of experience with PTSD. I would find a therapist I trust and do what they say. If that means going to group meetings that turn into sob sessions I would do exactly that and I would participate, and I would expect to be sobbing along with others. Good luck!

My father was on Iwo Jima and Okinawa during the war
His best friend was flying bombers over Germany when he saw his brother get killed. He then did a tour in fighters.
They told me they had to "Find a distraction." Alcohol was a big part of that but his best friend built an airplane in his office building. My dad smoked a pipe and loved to cook. They played cards a lot. My dad gambled professionally after the war then threw himself into a career in cars. I inherited that desire to find something to keep my mind off my mind which helps when you are on the Autism spectrum.

Top Bottom