What's new

Dealing With Paranoia... Tips?

Folks, military and law enforcement service has made me very paranoid. War and dealing with drug addicts does that.
I'm told that my 'actions' are hypervigilance. Keep checking the doors and windows. Always carry a loaded gun and spare magazines. The dogs are for security, not comfort (but I like them anyway). Do a quick up-and-down check of everybody who can get close to you. Do NOT reveal any personal details about yourself (I've sent and received things on this forum, but nobody has my home address). Lock up anything you don't want stolen when expecting company.

If you're dealing with this too, how do you stay sane? What are your tips and tricks? I've tried the VA and local veterans meetings. No go. The VA just wants you to take pills, and the veterans meetings usually end with a sob session or a comparison of war stories.

People don't join the military to become Rambo. They leave the military because they have become Rambo.

Vigilance is a good characteristic, paranoia is not. I'm not big on medications or group therapy myself. I made it through the military without this type of personal impact, but one of the guys who worked for me had similar issues. Some days were better than others for him. It can be a real struggle. About the only suggestion I have to find someone who gets it that you can confide in. Maybe someone you served with can help you air out your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Firstly, know what you want.

Rhetorical questions... no need to answer them here.

Do you want to do less of those actions, or just feel more comfortable doing them? Where is the line between what is positive, and what is negative on your life? If you were to be able to "flick a switch", and turn off the excess, then what? Would your life be better or worse? What would the new behaviours look and feel like? If that would be better, what is stopping you?

When you know what you want, or even if you decide you actually don't know what you want, talk to a pro. Psychotherapy will help untangle the deeply ingrained learned behaviours that have become problematic, and let you keep the positives, and let go of the negatives. It may be that new intermediate behaviours need to be developed/adopted as a "crutch" to help you let go of the old. A good psychotherapist will help guide you towards behaviours which are more positive feeling, and leave you with the feeling of security you need, but also the freedom from trappings of the past which now hold you back.

Rapport matters. If the first therapist isn't a good fit for you, do try another till you find one that is.

I’ve been dealing with Paranoid schizophrenia for about ten years. Look into mental Heath networks around you. An little bit is fine, when it becomes to much is a issue..

36 years in the military here. You are not alone, and - unfortunately - you are VERY common.

Enjoy the day for what it is; don't worry about your survival mechanisms, understand that is who you are now and it has saved you to live another day. Be present in the" here" and "now."

We've all got post traumatic stress. The key is NOT to allow it to be a disorder. Nothing wrong with "checking your perimeter" before you go to bed, we all do it. Nothing wrong with classifying threats, we all do it.

HIGHLY recommend the book: SURVIVING SURVIVAL, by Laurence Gonzales. I teach use of force and deadly force issues (have been for years), his work and study is cutting edge on the psychology, endocrinology, and behavioral aspects of deadly force encounters. Literally an eye-opening read.

It gets better. I still can't sit with my back to the door, but my family understands, we laugh, and they always let me have my pick.

Professional psychologist that specializes in post traumatic. Much progress has been made on this front in recent years and is your best bet.

Also, I've seen medication help a lot of guys. Don't deny yourself a possible valuable tool lightly.

I can in no way compare to the OP for the level of paranoia, but I developed some bad feelings as a department head back in the days when newspapers were large (I had 17 direct employees and another 80 or so independent contractors). I started seeing a psychologist at first once a week then slowly to once a month. It really helped me process things with an independent observer. I continued that for about 7 years. Well worth every dime I spent, IMO. As has been said, it's a good thing to find the right professional to help. Someone who specializes in your issues, and most importantly, someone you feel you can be honest with.

Professional psychologist that specializes in post traumatic. Much progress has been made on this front in recent years and is your best bet.

I would say this. You may want to Google who does EMDR near you.

I would definitely say you want to get a good diagnosis. PTSD is one thing. If you are dealing with paranoid schizophrenia, that is something else, and likely to get worse and worse unless you are treated with meds. You do not want to end up like the Nashville bomber!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
...You do not want to end up like the Nashville bomber!

Is there evidence that the Nashville bomber was suffering paranoid schizophrenia, and off his meds?

OP, it sounds to me like you may want to talk to a professional. Whatever you decide, best wishes!

Last edited:
my year of counseling for other problems has helped but, its just not as bad. I still think that Big Brother is out to get us. Though I have always been a minor conspiracy theorist.

Is there evidence that the Nashville bomber was suffering paranoid schizophrenia, and off his meds?

Well there have been some reports that the Nashville bomber believed there were lizard people who could disguise themselves as earthlings walking among us preparing to take over the planet and that he was actively searching for them. Extreme reclusiveness. House loaded with alarms, lights, cameras, and other security equipment. Apparently a pretty strange affect. Major intra family issues. I have not heard about any mental treatment at all. Perhaps too reclusive to see anyone for treatment. No indication of a particular political basis for his actions. A suicide. I have not seen anything in the media suggesting psychosis, but it sure sounds that way to me. :)

But, moreover, my suggestion to the OP was not so much that this is particular malady is what led the Nashville bomber's actions, but that it is the type of thing that can come out of untreated psychosis.

The news is now saying his girlfriend in 2019 told the police he was talking about building a bomb in his camper.

Wait a second! Girlfriend? Maybe he was not so reclusive as the media seemed to be saying previously.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm told that my 'actions' are hypervigilance.
I've tried the VA and local veterans meetings. No go. The VA just wants you to take pills, and the veterans meetings usually end with a sob session or a comparison of war stories.

I'm not a doctor, but I am currently parked in a Holiday Inn Express parking lot.

IMHO what you need is one-on-one time with a doctor like Jordan Peterson, who can talk you through the issues that are making you hyper vigilant bit by bit, sort of like how he describes helping the guy afraid of needles.

I think you are right to be skeptical of drugs and sob sessions.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Stay off of social media, take a break from the news, a complete sabbatical of watching the nightly news, reading the paper, or listening to talk radio, and find a real human being to talk to. Lots of good suggestions on here. You don't necessarily have to take pills but finding someone to talk to, professional or otherwise, is key.....

Stay off of social media, take a break from the news, a complete sabbatical of watching the nightly news, reading the paper, or listening to talk radio, and find a real human being to talk to. Lots of good suggestions on here. You don't necessarily have to take pills but finding someone to talk to, professional or otherwise, is key.....

Excellent advice.

I have gone to the VA for counseling in the past and it was suggested that I not watch so much news.
I sort of took it to the extreme and pretty much eliminated my news consumption for years and it really helped me.

It really sucks when certain aspects of our lives start taking control of us.
Just know that it is possible to fix ourselves no matter how out of it we feel.

Take care of yourself brother and stay safe.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Excellent advice. The rise of social media and the corruption of main stream media has not served society well. Many studies show negative phycological effects, Jonathan Haidt's work comes to mind. Throw in 'social distancing', and it is a total **** show for mental health.

Top Bottom