What's new

Dealing with Ebay buyers

I was shocked by the lofty percentages eBay charged on basic things like reserve prices that are taken even if the item does not sell. A newspaper in a print world could justify charges based on actual costs, but the cost for them to "run" an ad for 7 days on eBay is practically zip.

It's price-gouging pure and simple and with eBay having zero competitors, why expect them to change anything about their shady business practices.

If you don't like them then don't use them. If you think their fees are too high then open up a competing vendor site of your own and discover what the REAL costs are to operate one. Also, price "gouging" is legally considered re essential items such as food, potable water, etc., and not "luxury" items.

I have learned that for me, selling anything on EBay or an internet forum requires premium shipping. I always pay to require a signature on delivery and costs are passed along to the buyer. This usually limits the items I can/will sell to those of higher value.

It’s just not worth going to the trouble unless i have a reasonable expectation of everything working out.

Long ago I sold a brand new in the box pure badger brush on the bay. This one was made by a very, very well known firm. Buyer emailed me after a couple uses to say I must have sent him a used brush because it smelled funny, demanded a full refund. I wrote back explaining 'bout badger funk, and how the scent was actually an indication of a new brush, and to just shampoo it a couple times. Five minutes later Buyer gave me a negative rating, attacked me, posted untruths, yada, yada. EBay refused to remove his comments. And that is why I avoid em.

Wife and I used to sell on eBay years ago but gave up. The fees are too expensive. We also made a decision not to ship internationally. One year we ended up refunding over $600 dollars for items that were shipped. When we complained to Paypal about, we were told that we had NO seller protection for items shipped to other countries because there was no reliable way to confirm delivery.

Tracking shows it is stucked for days.
1. It is lost (I doubt that) or
2. It's on the way and USPS doesn't care about using the tracking or
3. He has already received it and still USPS doesn't care about providing the delivery info.

Sooner or later, I would eventually have two options. Either refund him or send another one. Mainly because USPS does not scan all packages with a tracking number.

If someone sends you a message two days after the ETA, you know he is not going to wait. It's a matter of time before he opens a case. Ebay and Paypal believe what they see. A tracking which shows the no 1 (it is lost).

The question is where is it stuck? Is it the customs or has it been processed and got stuck at USPS facility. You should able to tell by looking at the tracking history.
As you said I have experienced all of the above including an item that was lost and then reappeared 4 months later and another international package that was delivered and they never scanned it within the US. Not once.

I gave up on shipping overseas a long time ago. And buying something on eBay from an offshore seller? Sure...and I have a couple acres of bottom land I can let you have for a great price.

Not uncommon for delays with international shipping. I would have asked the buyer to give it a week and then touch base again. If it was more than two weeks delayed I'd likely assume it's lost and take the appropriate action.

The question is where is it stuck? Is it the customs or has it been processed and got stuck at USPS facility. You should able to tell by looking at the tracking history.
As you said I have experienced all of the above including an item that was lost and then reappeared 4 months later and another international package that was delivered and they never scanned it within the US. Not once.
It it stuck and not moving for days. It says processed through facility. It can't be processing for so many days. They just don't care about the tracking sometimes, I don't know what else to think of.

I'm interested in hearing back from the buyer. So far nothing. It's a bit early, but I'll let you know. If the razor is just moving from facility to facility to get to him and has not received it as we speak, he will probably suggest sending me the second back if both arrive to their destination and he's an honest person. That's what I'd do. But this sounds more like a shaving forum scenario, you don't expect that from a transaction like this. Who knows.

Gents, the main reason I sent him another and didn't wait to see his reaction to my first response was that I know how such discussions end up. I'm not a new guy in sales or doing business. Some people can't wait. If you can afford the loss, you send another item and stop worrying about this whole situation. The second and last response offered me peace of mind. And this is more valueable than a razor. I even provided photos of the second packaging and the receipt to get rid of him for good. No need to worry more about someone who hasn't learned to wait. The message I got only two days (!) after the ETA (I know I repeat it over and over again, but I want you to understand how irrational and strange this is when you make international orders) was this: "hi, the razor has never come to me". Urgent, looking for a resolution as fast as I can. It's too bad that you can't choose your buyers on Ebay, sometimes this could be very helpful, especially if your items are of high value.

Last edited:
It it stuck and not moving for days. It says processed through facility. It can't be processing for so many days. They just don't care about the tracking sometimes, I don't know what else to think of.

I'm interested in hearing back from the buyer. So far nothing. It's a bit early, but I'll let you know. If the razor is just moving from facility to facility to get to him and has not received it as we speak, he will probably suggest sending me the second back if both arrive to their destination and he's an honest person. That's what I'd do. But this sounds more like a shaving forum scenario, you don't expect that from a transaction like this. Who knows.

Gents, the main reason I sent him another and didn't wait to see his reaction to my first response was that I know how such discussions end up. I'm not a new guy in sales or doing business. Some people can't wait. If you can afford the loss, you send another item and stop worrying about this whole situation. The second and last response offered me peace of mind. And this is more valueable than a razor. I even provided photos of the second packaging and the receipt to get rid of him for good. No need to worry more about someone who hasn't learned to wait. The message I got only two days (!) after the ETA (I know I repeat it over and over again, but I want you to understand how irrational and strange this is when you make international orders) was this: "hi, the razor has never come to me". Urgent, looking for a resolution as fast as I can. It's too bad that you can't choose your buyers on Ebay, sometimes this could be very helpful, especially if your items are of high value.

By facility you mean ISC? Like the one below?

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 12.44.47 PM.png

I sell on ebay all the time and never had an issue. I do keep the sales to US only and I won't pay to have a reserve price. I just make the starting bid the lowest amount that I will accept.

I sell on ebay all the time and never had an issue. I do keep the sales to US only and I won't pay to have a reserve price. I just make the starting bid the lowest amount that I will accept.
Unfortunately, I can't do the same. Greek shaving market is almost non-existent. If I want to sell my items, I have to offer international shipping.

Unfortunately people do try to take advantage of people. He should have looked at the tracking. I can see contacting the seller if it says delivered and it wasn't. But even at that contact the seller and contact shipping company to find out what is going on. People should realize anything coming into the US can take time. In 2008 when ecigs were new most of the hardware and software came from China I had a package of liquid held up in customs for 3 weeks. That's not the sellers fault. Nor should it be your fault that its taking a little longer for someone to receive their package.

It looks like this, yes.

If it doesn't show processed through customs my guess would be it's still sitting there. At customs. Once it goes through it goes to a distribution center.
I had a razor ship from the UK that spent 3 or 4 weeks at the customs in NY. Once released it arrived pretty quickly.
I cant imagine you as a seller being responsible for the delay.

Unfortunately people do try to take advantage of people. He should have looked at the tracking. I can see contacting the seller if it says delivered and it wasn't. But even at that contact the seller and contact shipping company to find out what is going on. People should realize anything coming into the US can take time. In 2008 when ecigs were new most of the hardware and software came from China I had a package of liquid held up in customs for 3 weeks. That's not the sellers fault. Nor should it be your fault that its taking a little longer for someone to receive their package.
That's true.

Another thing is that I don't feel ok if my package is actually lost. However, the more I think I about it, the more I don't believe it's lost. I paid for this razor and I want to be enjoyed by someone.

If it doesn't show processed through customs my guess would be it's still sitting there. At customs. Once it goes through it goes to a distribution center.
I had a razor ship from the UK that spent 3 or 4 weeks at the customs in NY. Once released it arrived pretty quickly.
I cant imagine you as a seller being responsible for the delay.
Thanks for the info. Like you said, I can't do anything about it.

When Maggard's introduced the affordable international shipping option, I waited for a soap for more than 30 days before I sent them a message. They told me that if I didn't receive it within 45 days, they would send me a refund. I told them I didn't have any problem, I just wanted to let them know and I'd wait for the package to arrive. It eventually arrived after 50 days. I didn't have any reason not to believe them, and it was out of their control. I know how it works with international shipping. Delay is a part of the risk you take and you should be fine with it.

That's true.

Another thing is that I don't feel ok if my package is actually lost. However, the more I think I about it, the more I don't believe it's lost. I paid for this razor and I want to be enjoyed by someone.

If it makes you feel better just know that while that person did take advantage of you. Your kindness will come back to you 10 fold. You will absolutely be rewarded for your kindness.

If it makes you feel better just know that while that person did take advantage of you. Your kindness will come back to you 10 fold. You will absolutely be rewarded for your kindness.
I appreciate it, my friend. I do feel better. Thank you.

He might have thought that you, as the shipper, could get better tracking info or perhaps didn't even bother checking the tracking. I would have at least responded back that it appears to be at customs currently and perhaps sent the results of the tracking to him.

Of course, if I read the e-mail sent to you I might come to the same conclusion as you.

Top Bottom