What's new

Dealing with a nasty neighbor

This'll teach 'em!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note, your best bet may be the HOA. If you have one even remotely similar to mine, they will get on your neighbor right away. Heck, mine even gets on people if their mailboxes are not painted the same shade of white :lol:

this

proxy.php

Last edited:
The HOA should be able to provide you with the address of the owner.

I am sure that the HOA has dues and they must be paid. Also, most HOAs require some notice or approval for renting.

Finally, the taxing authorities should have the correct address of the owner.

I find it odd that there is a HOA and yet this lawn continues to look the way it does.

Perhaps the issue lies with the HOA itself not enforcing the rules.

Get your 12 gauge out and sit in front of an open window where they can see you just loading and unloading for about 30 minutes a day all the while just staring straight ahead at them. Every now and then, wave and grin. I did this once and the offending group moved.

Just an update. The HOA will be sending violations to the homeowner. Hopefully they do have their "real" address and just don't send them to the house. They claim the violations will go to homeowner and the HOA does not deal with the renter. I am hoping that maybe the homeowner is looking for a reason to find another renter and maybe a stack of violations will do the trick. I got about as good of a response from the HOA as I could hope I suppose. I know we have the regulations somewhere in the house, but I also requested an electronic copy (easier to read through these things with the "find" feature), and I haven't had a response to that yet.

As far as the HOA's lack of response before this, I'd rather have a "slow" HOA than one with some housewife who pokes around your yard while you are at work, measuring the length of your grass or whether or not your mulch is fresh enough. I don't demand perfection from my neighbors. I understand people can't always get out and devote a lot of time to a yard or they go away and the lawn gets kind of long. Just don't present me with 2-3 foot grass and a huge patch of clover that keeps trying to take over my yard.

I am thinking of getting a camera to survey the backyard for any future activity. I don't know what I would do with the footage if I caught thier kid tossing another used rubber over the fence, but I figure it must be useful for something. Has anyone bought one of those camera/DVR sets for their own home? I was looking at a setup Costco offers with 4 cameras and a DVR.

Get your 12 gauge out and sit in front of an open window where they can see you just loading and unloading for about 30 minutes a day all the while just staring straight ahead at them. Every now and then, wave and grin. I did this once and the offending group moved.

A co-worker mentioned the "crazy guy" approach. Go get a gun and then just sit on my back deck talking crazy about how angry I get during the week and how I just wish I could shoot something sometimes. I do currently lack a gun for this approach. I've was considering a firearm for home defense for a while, but haven't got around to taking a training course and hitting a gun store.

It could be worse, so much worse.

My father-in-law is a pastor and as such, had to live in the church manse (parsonage to you Baptists out there). They recently moved in with my wife's grandparents to take care of them in a much nicer house, so they are not longer afflicted with what I'm going to describe to you.

Their neighbors were a nightmare. It was a pretty sad situation for that family. The father had run off years before and the mother began shacking up with another man. There were two children at one time but when I began hanging around there only the son was left. The daughter took off not too long after the other man moved in, in a very public fashion. Apparently, she, her mother, and her brother experienced pretty frequent abuse from the man. The son, who couldn't leave, learned a lot from his step-father.

My wife's little brother had, at one time, chickens that he had raised from chicks. The neighbor son took to sneaking over near the chicken coop and essentially executing the chickens with an air rifle. They eventually gave away the remaining chickens as they cared for them enough that they didn't want them killed.

My wife had a golden retriever that she had to give away. They kept her out back of the house in a pen. One day my wife came home to find her terribly sick. She took her to the vet and the vet told her she had somehow consumed anti-freeze. The dog was kept in a locked pen nearly all the time. She had no access to anti-freeze at any time. Someone would have had to go over there and feed her anti-freeze. We suspected the neighbor's child.

The windows on my in-laws garage were also perpetually shot out, along with the overhead light. Why? The son liked to sit on their roof and shoot the air rifle at them.

The wife randomly flagged down my in-laws to accuse my mother-in-law of being a hooker, claiming the entire community (small town) saw her walking the streets at night. She got laughed at-a lot.

The coup-de-grace happened after my wife's family left. The man's brother got out of the pokey (jail to you laymen) and began living with them. He apparently felt he needed to earn his "keep" but didn't want one of those "traditional" jobs. He wanted to express his artistic side. So what did he do? He sat in the front yard with big chunks of tree trunk, wearing his prison jumpsuit, and used a chainsaw to carve crude bears into the wood. He popped a sign up to let people know that "Goods from the Woods" were for sale.

I couldn't make things up this cliche'.

No one ever did anything about this stuff-no one wanted to. It was just easier to keep the peace. The man had made it clear on a few occasions he really didn't mind shooting someone. I'm guessing he had about as much going for himself in prison as he did out. Either way, didn't matter to him.

My wife's little brother had, at one time, chickens that he had raised from chicks. The neighbor son took to sneaking over near the chicken coop and essentially executing the chickens with an air rifle. They eventually gave away the remaining chickens as they cared for them enough that they didn't want them killed.

My wife had a golden retriever that she had to give away. They kept her out back of the house in a pen. One day my wife came home to find her terribly sick. She took her to the vet and the vet told her she had somehow consumed anti-freeze. The dog was kept in a locked pen nearly all the time. She had no access to anti-freeze at any time. Someone would have had to go over there and feed her anti-freeze. We suspected the neighbor's child.

The windows on my in-laws garage were also perpetually shot out, along with the overhead light. Why? The son liked to sit on their roof and shoot the air rifle at them.
How old is this kid now? He's displaying traits that he might grow up to be a serial killer. Especially the part about torturing animals. Jeffrey Dahmer started out that way.

We thought that too. He's probably about 17-18. He used to be a nice kid. He came over to my in-laws and ate lunch and dinner with them. Played with my wife's little brother. The man moved in though and he turned into a monster.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That is truly an ugly situation. I hope it works out for you.

Mike
----------------
:eek:Hey! Your karma ran over my dogma
Gentlemen let's get our ducks in a row. There will be no jargon allowed . . . not on my watch but at the end of the day, you eat what you kill after holding their feet to the fire to bring to the table the low-hanging fruit on a going forward basis while thinking outside the box.

We were in a similar situation with a house we owned. After years of noise and generally bad behavior the family that was causing the problem moved. They failed to take their 18 yr old son with them and allowed him to remain and take care of the house. We used to say the parents ran away from home.

Things went from bad to worse after the parents moved, the house turned into a hangout for underage kids day and night. We called the police , the HOA, and schools to report the situation. Nothing seemed to work until we called the Sherriff. We called them after a party went out of control and a fight started in front of our house. They came and arrested one of the kids that lived there and things settled down for a while.

I went to all the neighbors and convinced them it was in the best interest of everyone to band together and start calling as a group when something was going on. As a group we were able to put pressure on various agencies.

The son finally moved and the neighborhood changed, but the behaviors of the kids didn't. They moved and started the party in the new location.

Last edited:
A co-worker mentioned the "crazy guy" approach. Go get a gun and then just sit on my back deck talking crazy about how angry I get during the week and how I just wish I could shoot something sometimes. I do currently lack a gun for this approach. I've was considering a firearm for home defense for a while, but haven't got around to taking a training course and hitting a gun store.

I take medicine now, so no need to comment on my level of sanity. :001_smile

I agree that you should push the HOA and the management company. They know how to deal with this and they know who owns the house too. The HOA in my neighborhood is pretty active in keeping a lid on things. When I first moved here, I thought that they were Nazis, but I'm much more sympathetic now. In the seven years that I've been here, they have done an excellent job of dealing with a lady with a crazy dog, another lady that was intent on turning her yard into a junkyard/jungle theme park, a family with a criminal kid, and another that seemed to be thinking about taking a shot at raising fighting dogs in their backyard. Not everything got solved the same way, but between conversations, letters, fines, police and animal control visits, and liens, everything has worked out and our neighborhood is a nice place.

The value to a good HOA is that they present a unified front. I really do believe in starting yourself--having a talk with your neighbors might actually yield positive results. Even so, continuing on by yourself is sure to build bad feeling with them (even--or especially--since they're in the wrong). If you can avoid it, you don't want to be fighting across your property line. Makes living in your own home unpleasant. On the other hand, the HOA makes it an issue of the common good. It also shares the burden of keeping after these people--the HOA officers and the management company will follow up. If the HOA can do something but doesn't, give some thought about getting involved yourself. That gives you access to all kinds of resources through your management company too.

Top Bottom