What's new

Dead Sea Shave - Kraken, with mud and sea moss from the Dead Sea

After a visit to my shave shop today, I picked up a new shaving soap from Dead Sea Shave in the Kraken scent. This soap feels quite different from any other soaps I've used so far and with the very positive 1st experience. I can wholeheartedly recommend this soap, if only for the unique experience.

The soap is vegan and contains mud from the Dead Sea and sea moss. Next week I'll pick up a tallow-based soap from them and review that as well.

I did 4 passes + cleanup as a warm-water shave, with a Mühle R41, a Kai blade (2nd shave), Simpson Chubby3 Manchurian badger brush.

This is my experience after the first shave.

Apearance
The soap would be considered a hard soap, but is soft enough to push dents in it. It has a gray color, probably due to the mud. It comes in a screw-cap tin which is about half-height of many other tubs and contains 100 grams / 3.53 ounces.

Ingredients
Stearic Acid, Aloe barbadensis Leaf Juice, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea Butter), Ricinus communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Chondrus Crispus (Sea Moss), Sodium Citrate, Dead Sea Mud, Kaolin clay, corn silk

I did not bloom the soap and may need to on the next try. With the density, I would need to load longer than the 40 seconds I did, or perhaps I need to add a bit more water during the load. I did need to load-up a few seconds more for the 3rd and 4th pass.

Lathering
I face-lathered and it was easy and quick. The lather itself is quite different from conventional soaps. It is denser and less voluminous due to the mud. This meant the lather was wet enough when the consistency might make you think to add more water. I caught it in time and got a very nice slick lather.

Cushioning
Due to less volume but greater density, I found the cushioning to be perfect for my taste. I felt enough protection without it interfering with good blade-contact.

Slickness
After the first pass I wasn't sure, as this soap doesn't leave a strong layer when your skin dries that some soaps do. During the rest of the shave I noticed the slickness is absolutely there and gave me a very good and comfortable shave. The absence of this "film" meant it was easier to rinse off at the end and I suspect less scum build-up on the razor.

Post-shave feel
I chose to not use any post-shave products to see how the soap would do. As my face was drying, I feared for a moment that my skin would feel dry as it does not feel slick or slightly fatty that a balm would normally provide. I noticed though, that I didn't feel any uncomfortableness so I decided to let my face fully dry. After a few minutes I noticed my skin felt very good, had great flexibility and was well moisturised.

Scent
I found the Kraken scent to be very, very nice. It has a sweet, almost cookie-like scent with spice-notes.

Conclusion after the 1st shave
My first impressions are very positive. It is great to have such a new experience. It gave me a very comfortable shave, with excellent performance all round, and an excellent post-shave feel.

I'll post in the thread if I have any updates after I get more experience with it. I'll let you know how my experience with the tallow-based variants goes when they arrive.

Thank you for bringing another artisan to our attention! The ingredients sound different and interesting which is great for a newer artisan to come up with something to stand out in the crowd so to speak. Will keep this one on my radar for sure and look forward to other opinions and scent descriptions.

The ingredients sound different and interesting which is great for a newer artisan to come up with something to stand out in the crowd so to speak.
It sure is! I was very pleasantly surprised. Nice to have a soap with a different feel in my den, especially if it is a good one like this.

Will keep this one on my radar for sure and look forward to other opinions and scent descriptions.
Me too. If anyone here has experienced this soap, please let us know what you think. I did smell the others from the tin in the shop. The Maelstrom scent, which has menthol in it: It smelled like the old Wrigley's chewing gum from the tin. The Tempest should be more like an ocean scent, but was hard to distinguish in the tin. I'd have to use both to get a proper idea.

I forgot to mention in the article: The soap comes from the UK. The price is around 16 euro ($18) which isn't bad. It looks like I only used a tiny amount in my 4-pass shave, but I require prolonged use to see how long the soap will last and to appraise the real cost.

*UPDATE* 2nd shave with the Tempest scent

I had my 2nd shave with the Tempest scent. This time I bloomed the soap and loaded a little wetter and got it right. I had more than enough for my 4 pass shave without any reloading.

The lather was more voluminous this time with more cushioning, but still allowed good blade contact. Slickness was also better than my 1st shave and on par with the best soaps I've tried so far.

The post-shave feel was fantastic again and may even have felt better. I shaved a bit lighter than the last time with the "no-lather-no-shave" principle (well almost... so difficult to do 100%). My against-the-grain I shaved a little more across-the-grain, very lightly and no repeats to give my skin a bit of rest shaving every day. Not a pure BBS, but so close to it and consistent all over it just felt fantastic with a wonderful and comfortable post-shave feel.

The Tempest scent does make me think of the ocean or coastline a bit. It is not sweet. Has green and earthy notes to it with a little hint of mint to it. The Kraken's scent strength feel a bit more, but that may be due to the warm spicy intensity of that scent; both aren't overpowering though with maybe a 5 out of 10.

Ingredients of the Tempest:
Stearic Acid, Aloe barbadensis Leaf Juice,
Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Seed Oil,
Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide,
Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter,
Butyrospermum parkii (Shea Butter),
Ricinus communis (Castor) Seed Oil,
Chondrus Crispus (Sea Moss), Sodium Citrate,
Dead Sea Mud, Kaolin clay, corn silk

This soap is quickly earning a place in my top performers.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thank you for bringing another artisan to our attention! The ingredients sound different and interesting which is great for a newer artisan to come up with something to stand out in the crowd so to speak. Will keep this one on my radar for sure and look forward to other opinions and scent descriptions.
x2
Mickey Lee has a kraken scent. I thought that was a made up name
razor rock has dead sea salt soap thats fantastic

*UPDATE* 2nd shave with the Tempest scent

I had my 2nd shave with the Tempest scent. This time I bloomed the soap and loaded a little wetter and got it right. I had more than enough for my 4 pass shave without any reloading.

The lather was more voluminous this time with more cushioning, but still allowed good blade contact. Slickness was also better than my 1st shave and on par with the best soaps I've tried so far.

The post-shave feel was fantastic again and may even have felt better. I shaved a bit lighter than the last time with the "no-lather-no-shave" principle (well almost... so difficult to do 100%). My against-the-grain I shaved a little more across-the-grain, very lightly and no repeats to give my skin a bit of rest shaving every day. Not a pure BBS, but so close to it and consistent all over it just felt fantastic with a wonderful and comfortable post-shave feel.

The Tempest scent does make me think of the ocean or coastline a bit. It is not sweet. Has green and earthy notes to it with a little hint of mint to it. The Kraken's scent strength feel a bit more, but that may be due to the warm spicy intensity of that scent; both aren't overpowering though with maybe a 5 out of 10.

Ingredients of the Tempest:

This soap is quickly earning a place in my top performers.
The ingredients look great for the skin!

x2
Mickey Lee has a kraken scent. I thought that was a made up name
razor rock has dead sea salt soap thats fantastic
The Kraken itself is a mythological sea monster, so I'm not sure if it is a scent type (if anyone knows, please correct me). I'll keep a look-out for Mickey Lee Soapworks Kraken though, though my shop doesn't carry it.
The Kraken scent from Dead Sea Shave may remotely resemble the dutch "Speculaas" cookies, maybe even a bit like "Bastogne" cookies from LU (no idea how internationally known these are). They aren't an exact match, but anyone familiar with them might have a better idea what I mean with cookies and spices.

Haven't tried the Razorock Dead Sea yet... definitively on my list;)

The ingredients look great for the skin!
Absolutely. My skin felt and looked very healthy today. I did use "Dopobarba al Mallo di Albicocche" aftershave balm today from "Antica Barbieria Colla", so it wasn't the soap alone. But the 1st shave was without any post-shave products and also felt great all day; so the soap itself performs very well post-shave without any help.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks for the info of this brand and kracken. Lol had no idea. Im not to fond of the Mickey scent profile anyway.

rR dead sea is a must have. Soap and matching aftershave.

UPDATE: Tested the Maelstrom scent. It's mostly menthol and smells like old fashioned chewing gum (the long thin slates wrapped in foil). They describe it as spearmint, lavender and menthol crystals. It was surprisingly refreshing with equal performance to the other scents I mentioned.

Ingredients:

This was the last of their vegan soaps. When the tallow-based versions arrive at my shop, I'll get some and give an update here.

The Kraken scent from Dead Sea Shave may remotely resemble the dutch "Speculaas" cookies, maybe even a bit like "Bastogne" cookies from LU (no idea how internationally known these are). They aren't an exact match, but anyone familiar with them might have a better idea what I mean with cookies and spices.
Bastogne has maple syrup/muscovado sugar and lemon while Speculaas has brown sugar and orange zest. Both have cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla, and ginger. Speculaas also has almond, nutmeg, clove, and white pepper.

Might help you pick out the notes.

Well, after reading this thread, I decided to order some. I got Maelstrom and Tempest. What a pleasant surprise! The quality of the shave is excellent. What’s more, I experience absolutely zero skin irritation! On some of the best performing soaps and creams, I experience some reddening and burning, to various degrees. It’s such that I shave at night so it’s gone by morning. More an annoyance than a serious problem, but this soap has no such effect. Both scents. I think I’ll order a few more tins, although I haven’t yet made a dent in the ones I have. Great soap!

Thread bump (necro)

Does anyone know if this artisan is still around? It appears they went under which is a shame as this is a unique soap base and the one i have has a minty Spearmint type scent that is great! Would love to try other scents. Does anyone else have any experience with this artisan?

Top Bottom