What's new

Dead Pen Thread

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well I've killed another inexpensive pen. I can't complain too much I guess as the Jinhao 51A Demonstrator Fountain Pen I killed cost eight bucks. It broke between the barrel and the section as I was pulling the cap off. I honestly don't think I over tightened the section, but who knows. I carried this pen most days since late October 2019.

I really like these pens as they seal well so ink does not dry out as quickly as other inexpensive pens. This is a one off or maybe I've found the weak spot for these.

I can almost feel some comments coming. I actually do own a real P51.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Eight bucks ... eleven months ... not bad for a "disposable" pen!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My Jinhao is going strong 2 years now. My TWISBI demonstrator not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Eight bucks ... eleven months ... not bad for a "disposable" pen!

My feelings exactly. I didn't even waste any ink . . . just plugged the converter into the next Jinhao that I bought at the same time. Actually no ink on my hands or shirt pocket either. Lucky break.

I have a couple of those Jinhaos and really like the way they perform. I bought them on eBay I want to say for like 2 dollars each so bought some back up ones since I know they won't last forever.

I have a number of the cheaper Chinese pens, but don't use them often enough to break them. Some of them are quite good for what they are, and might prove durable, given a chance, but my Pilots, among others, are simply nicer to use.

I was actually surprised by how well a Shark wrote. I grabbed a dozen when Goulet's had them on sale for something cheap. I handed them out with bottles of ink or a ziplock full of cartridges to coworkers. Those were almost cheaper than disposable Pilot V5's...

Legion

Staff member
I bought about ten Jinhao at once, the ones that look like Lamy knock-offs. I used them in an office where the chances of a pen getting stollen was a lot higher than it breaking.

All the ones that were not stollen worked fine.

I still have an un-inked one in my draw. I'll probably pif it to someone I know who wants to give FP's a try. I'd rather give it to someone than have a A-hole just take it off my desk while I am at lunch.

I bought about ten Jinhao at once, the ones that look like Lamy knock-offs. I used them in an office where the chances of a pen getting stollen was a lot higher than it breaking.

All the ones that were not stollen worked fine.

I still have an un-inked one in my draw. I'll probably pif it to someone I know who wants to give FP's a try. I'd rather give it to someone than have a A-hole just take it off my desk while I am at lunch.

You purchased a consignment of pens from China, and upon delivery you found some were actually a form of sweet bread with marzipan baked into them? How bizarre!

Legion

Staff member
You purchased a consignment of pens from China, and upon delivery you found some were actually a form of sweet bread with marzipan baked into them? How bizarre!
I literally have no idea what this post is saying. How bizarre.

I bought ten pens. For as long as I used them they all worked well.

I still have one that was not stollen or given away. Happy to ink it up for a further review if it would somehow help.

Top Bottom