What's new

Dead man's colognes

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:bored: It is a sad reality of life that our possessions outlive us.

Last week I was shocked and saddened to hear a good friend's brother died suddenly. Heart attack or something related; they are still checking. I can tell you the guy didn't even have time to make a cell call. He was a good guy, too. Anyways.

His sisters moved in fast to get rid of the poor guy's stuff. The homeless get his clothes, the Mission will get the furniture, the list goes on.

Friend brings me a box full of his colognes. (Sigh). I have mixed feelings about this. In the end practicality wins, I suppose.

So what's in it?

Bunch of common and good colognes, and some complete oddities. I'll post a photo tonight. Need help.

There was Polo Green (I like; already had an almost full bottle) and Polo Blue (Interesting! Cucumber/melon thing according to BN; I don't really get that - smells almost aquatic, I think. Liking its top note more than drydown). And a bottle of regular Aramis, which I'm wearing. I really like Aramis flanker Havana; it's an awesome bay rum cologne. And I have Tuscany, which I do like but the cumin thing makes me smell Italian food. :001_huh: Anyways. Regular Aramis - with it's bergamot top note - hm. I like it less than I thought I would. Glad I didn't buy it. Yet it IS a fougere, so I must give it time.

More later ... thoughts on inheritance, mortality, practicality and cologne welcome.

AA

That is very sad. I know what you mean about not having time for a phone call, growing up I had a neighbor who had a massive heart attack while opening his front door. They found him face down half in the house / half out of it with the keys still in the doorknob and my dad slumped over dead suddenly on a Walgreens bench from cardiomyopathy while waiting for an antibiotic prescription...

About practicality, if the guy was a serious cologne collector, I'm sure he's happy that someone is making use of them. So I hope that makes you feel a bit better.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks. John was a cool guy; he had done construction, worked offshore and had a bit of a colorful life. He was only 60!

Anyways, there's about a dozen or so bottles; I've tried maybe 25% of those previously. It's a kind of sampler, I guess.

Someone will get my gi-normus 200+ Zippo collection someday; hopefully I'll be the (aged) one selling them off, not LOTH.

AA

Our things outlive us. When I pass, I hope my earthly possessions go to those that will be able to use and appreciate them.

I adore Aramis. Do give it some time. It may grow on you. The citrus at the top, jasmine and leather in the mids, and the patchouli and moss in the dry down are just delightful to me.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It is sad that he passed, but there is some consolation that someone can use, appreciate, and enjoy what he left behind. There's nothing in the world wrong with that, especially considering that your friend brought those things to you.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks, guys. His family is super close, much tighter than mine. Though shocked, they are doing OK. John had lost his wife some years ago, and they say he was never the same. The sisters found some beautiful photo albums he had of her; they never knew.

On a lighter note, they also found and disposed of some, girly books, shall we say. And movies.

And that's not all ...

AA

AA

I think he'd be pleased that someone he knew was getting use out of these fragrances, etc. My kids are already fighting over who will get my fragrances, fountain pens, knives, guns, wet shaving gear, tools etc. I'll fool them and sell it all before then.....

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We did get the cause of death today; basically high blood pressure and some arterial obstruction ... Should not have killed a man that just turned 60. American diet, sister said, warning me about bacon (in vain).

Jovan NRG Ginseng cologne? Not bad! Unsure if they still make it.

Jurys still out on the Aramis. I like Arams Havana way better, and Tuscany too, I think.

AA

I think it would be a little weird for myself wearing a deceased friends cologne just because of the fact that I would think of him every time I wore it.....kind of a sentimental thing going on there.

Other than that, it's just cologne.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Both.

Practicality's involved. Someday, someone else is going to be flicking my Zippos and firing my firearms. I'm OK with that.

Possessions are temporary. Nothing really belongs to us, not even time.

AA

I know the feeling. I had similar thoughts when I bought a huge lot of wooden hangers from an estate sale. I was able to purge my closet of plastic hangers, once and for all, but I did make me think about my possesions a little differently. My condolences to you and your friend.

Top Bottom