What's new

Dead again

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm going to seem a cheap person. Truthfully I am.

I thought I was doing the right thing by adding Xikar humidity gauges to my humidors. Damn both that I have are dead again. Seems . . . third time within a year . . . too power hungry. Additionally the adhesive they use is . . . underwhelming.

Is there something better?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Trust in your humidification. Or switch to Boveda’s. As they dry out you can feel them get thinner and grainy. Stick it in a Tupperware with some distilled water for a few days to a week to recharge.

I had 5 pounds of Heartfelt beads but switched to Bovedas when I learnt how to recharge them. Ymmv

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Don’t keep a hygrometer anymore either. My Dad has one in his and it’s dead stable.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I use Caliber IVs in each of my humidors. They work fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huge fan of Diamond Crown adjustable hygrometers. I’ve tried most everything else over the years and several iterations of the Diamond Crowns, but none of the diamonds have ever let me down. Can’t say that about the others. I’ve also found the Boveda butler to be utterly useless.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't know why hygrometers for humidors have to be so quickly reactive. I'm adding some space so for me it is probably a good opportunity to check out the diamond crown device.

Another thread, talking to some dude who posts infrequently, the backup of Heartfelt beads seems to me like a very important thing for anyone with a wine/fridge --- ador

At some time the brilliant 2019 produced durable consumer good will die. You need protection enough backups for a few days

I like the Boveda Butler, I track the temp & humidity on my phone when I travel. The Diamond Crown is also very nice, but both of mine have become cosmetic since switching to Boveda packs.

I've used a bunch now, and the only ones I can trust so far are a Caliber IV and an Accurite(?) from walmart. When I get more they'll be Caliber IV's, as the accurite is kinda big (made for home use.) All the small round ones have been garbage.

Had to check what I had and to my surprise it was a Caliber IV. I need to replace the battery as it lasted about 2+yrs before it went. I glued a slim disc magnet to it and mounted it in the lid of my coolerdor. Been a champ for sure.

Also (FYI) hygrometers aren't typically super accurate without spending a good deal of money. +/-1% is what these are listed as for accuracy, but that is likely mis-stating the reading range and the accuracy is almost guaranteed to be +/- 3% at best. They will however do a good job for the intended purpose. I prefer to run my coolerdor on the dryer side (if possible) since humidity is always a concern here. If I lived somewhere dry then I would likely run a touch moist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom