What's new

DE89 broke when dropped. Anywhere to get a replacement cap?

Yesterday I dropped my DE89 after shaving. It landed on the side from what I could tell, and to my surprise and chagrin the cap broke - the screw part sheared off from the rest of the cap. The guard and handle seem to be undamaged, and it seems wasteful to buy a whole new razor because one part is broken, but I wouldn't be confident in any means of repair that I can think of - I don't want to just superglue something that holds a sharp blade to my face :biggrin1:. Is there anywhere that I can get a replacement cap? Googling hasn't yielded anything, and when I emailed Edwin Jagger I got an out-of-office autoreply that their entire marketing and customer service department was busy through August 5th (kind of odd).

PS. Looking at the two pieces of the cap, the metal has a large grain size and the fracture is slightly ductile in nature so I think it's a zinc casting/"pot metal". I had assumed previously that it was brass under the chrome, but I guess I was wrong.

It is not a surprise that it broke, it's Zamak after all. It's also not a surprise they're on vacation, most companies in Europe close at least for a couple weeks in this period, especially July and August.

I am almost sure they will send you a replacement cap though, since the razor is new and the warranty should cover that, at least from what people have been reporting, they usually replace the broken parts without issues.

If not, you can just buy an R89 cap, which is the same thing.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-replacement-top-plate-r89.html

What Edgar said.
... If I had a nickel for every time someone asked this question, I bet I would have a quarter by now!:wink2:

As someone else already mentioned, if you don't mind waiting a bit they will replace the razor for free. Shipping turnover was also fast considering it comes from England.

Hi 147_Grain,
I have a spare EJ89 complete head that has never been used and you are welcome to it.
I live in the UK so it will take a while.
PM me your address and I'll send it to you!

Hi 147_Grain,
I have a spare EJ89 complete head that has never been used and you are welcome to it.
I live in the UK so it will take a while.
PM me your address and I'll send it to you!

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar! I've PM's you my address. Many thanks!

Top Bottom