What's new

De vs. Straight edge

Between a double edge razor and a straight razor, which one will give the closest shave?

1603730932118.png

On a more serious note, it's going to vary from one individual to another. For me, the DE beats the SR consistently. The reason? Mapping the grain of my beard on my neck, while it resembles a satellite photo of the Carribean during hurricane season, is predominantly left-to-right. To shave ATG with a SR or shavette, I need to hold a 6" razor vertically and there just isn't that much room between my jaw and my clavicle. I wind up doing it at maybe a 45 degree angle. That just doesn't work as well for me as a DE with a blade 1.5" wide that can do a real ATG. I'm sure if I was more motivated, I could find a way around it, but I have multiple DEs and blades that make it easy to shave with a DE or SE, so why bother?

I started with straights and got really good at getting a BBS quality shave. My problem was proper maintenance beyond stopping and crox. I never got the hang of a proper touch ups, with a DE just change the blade.

Both will get you a close shave if you know how to use them. The straight razor or shavette, for me, is gentler to the skin, more comfortable, and more fun, so it wins. I only use DEs for touch-up in really awkward areas along the jawline now.

I like traditional straights but I worry about maintaining the edge; that’s what led me to AC shavettes, best of both worlds for me.

In the right hands both will give you a BBS. It doesn’t get much closer than that.

DE will allow you to fine tune the direction of your strokes in terms of gain mapping to a higher degree. It’s more manoeuvrable. This can be useful on the neck. SR will allow you fine tune the blade angle more than DE. You can go much shallower and still get good contact. Useful for against the grain. Both can be just as sharp. Both can get just as close.

I generally prefer SR for at home and DE for travel. I find the SR shave to be equally close but more comfortable than the DE. Fancy natural finishers and leather stroping enhance the comfort even more over a flimsy factory blade. DE is more compact and convenient for travel. It can be just as comfortable but I find there is a lower margin of safety prior to irritation. Too many strokes, too much pressure or a bad angle can make things go south pretty quickly. Ironically I find that SR is more forgiving.
I find the irritation piece to be true, and I’ve really been wondering about it. I switched from DEs gradually to shavettes, particularly the feather artist club, over the past 2 months. I get great BBS shaves with either one, but with the artist club I get them without irritation. Today I tried a DE again with the lightest touch and had enough irritation to make me think of selling it! Ironically, I used to get irritation with the artist club as well when I used guarded blades, but now with the pros and pro supers I get none whatsoever. Did I find the perfect combo for me? Did I just completely forget how to use a DE over the course of 2 months?

I experimented with SR years ago. I didn't stick with it long enough to get to the point where it was as good or better than the DE, because it was just taking me so long, I was only using it on the weekends. Eventually I gave up on it, and decided I'm just not patient enough (and I have no interest whatsoever in honing, which will make maintenance that much harder).

Maybe I should try it again, since I'm home all the time now, anyway.

I haven't found a DE that blends the efficiency and comfort of a straight. I can push either to bbs, but I will have much less irritation with a straight. Technically I think bbs with irritation and bbs without irritation are equal in terms of closeness, but I know which I prefer.

I haven't found a DE that blends the efficiency and comfort of a straight. I can push either to bbs, but I will have much less irritation with a straight. Technically I think bbs with irritation and bbs without irritation are equal in terms of closeness, but I know which I prefer.
You said it. I just did a feather AC shave after two consecutive shaves with DEs. Absolutely no irritation this morning. I’m thinking I might get that feather kamisori for head shaves- that’s about all I still use a DE for now.

Elwood Blues : What kind of music do you usually have here?

It's a bit of a "both kinds" question. I have a patch of sandpaper under my chin which I can't get properly ATG with a straight without removing anatomy (possibly as part of the process). If I want to get that BBS in every direction, it's a DE - though I'm chasing it with a straight as something of a Holy Grail. Everywhere else (on the face, at least) I can do it if I take the time, but it took longer (more experience) to get to that point with a straight razor - though that was half the fun.

Sometimes you want the motorway, and other times you want the country lane.

I also use the Feather AC shavette with professional blades and get blissful, no irritation close shaves every time.

The only time I use DE nowadays is when I am in a hurry or don't have much stubble (when I shave everyday) I still get close, nice shaves, but there is a bit of irritation in some areas where the razor doesn't get close on the first couple of strokes, which the straight just gets them clean on the first pass.

There is just something about having an open blade right on the skin and being able to adjust the angle around the face as needed, and the added cool factor, my kids love watching when I shave with a straight.

They both cut real close, but without doubt the straight shave lasts longer, gives, by a long long way, the more comfortable shave and is more versatile and open to tuning’.
People buy different safety razors to find what suits them. They try mild ones, aggressive ones etc. With a straight it’s just one edge. It can be the most aggressive wild thing in the world or as mild as a kiss depending on how you use it. This is why I like it so much. I can’t get a close shave with a mild safety razor no matter how good I am with it, but with an open blade I can fine tune my muscle memory, make it behave aggressively where I need it, mildly where I need it and get daily perfect shaves. I work it work hard and strong atg on my chin and upper lip but just whisper with it going atg on my cheek.
Then there’s the edge. With a DE you can try different blades, but with a straight you make your own, it’s a living changing thing. It’s generally great steel and can last many lifetimes.
Different abrasives and techniques all have different feels. It’s not just about sharpness either. I like mine at about 90% sharp. I find it’s more comfortable than If I have it super crazy sharp. 90% is the sweet spot for me between super smooth easy bbs and comfort. Now and again when I’m in a rush I go back to my DE for a shave and while brilliant by other standards it never compares to the straight and I no longer like it’s feel on my face. So yes both are close cutters in the right hands for the right face but the straight is just so much more adaptable. Whether you’ve got fuse wire for whiskers or peach fluff or a mixture of both, the straight razor with deal with it with a ton of comfort.

It can be the most aggressive wild thing in the world or as mild as a kiss depending on how you use it.

This has to be the most accurate way to describe the use of a straight razor.

Thats why I like straight razors, you can’t blame poor performance on absolutely anything other than technique, weather is: honing, stropping, shaving, even lather making.

At the end of the shave the results are on the person and the person only.

If you get a great shave with a straight, give yourself the credit!

if you're a head shaver like me, DE is the only option. and since i already use the DE on the dome, might as well use it on my face also.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
if you're a head shaver like me, DE is the only option. and since i already use the DE on the dome, might as well use it on my face also.
DE is not the only option for head shaving. There are quite a few who use SR's for head shaving.

If "might as well" suits you fine, then go for it. But I think there are probably people out there who use a DE on their heads and then switch to an open blade razor for the face and neck. There is absolutely no reason you can't use two different types of razors for shaving, or three, or however many you want.

When I ordered my first DESR, I also bought a shavette. After half a year experience, I came to the following conclusion: both equally close, the shavette took me 60-90 minutes for the same result I otherwise got in 3-10 minutes

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I have used both, they give a close cut. I am using DE now after decades of using a straight.
Both have their respective good points.

Top Bottom