What's new

DE VS SE Blade Feel

File this under "Had to try it." SE injectors have become my razor of choice, with, surprisingly, the Type L clone becoming my daily razor. But I kept thinking about all those DE blades in the bathroom closet, and decided to try one. Usually, I'll go with a fat handled Tech if there's face irritation, but it's been weeks of SE use now, and I went with the RazorRock SLOC. Like most open combs, it hold the blade rigid, and the comb cap in addition to the comb safety bar is pretty nice.

The surprising thing is that with the very first shave, the blade felt thinner. That's the best way to describe it. Different razors have different shaving sounds, but the blade had an actual feel that was different from an injector's. That's hard to rationalize, since the razor holds the blade firmly in place, but that's the sensation.

Other than adapting to it (blade angle and all), haven't had any problems. It's just strange that DE would feel different from SE.

Anyone else notice this?

Well, I would say it is because a SE blade is much thicker than a DE blade, hence the difference in feel.

Im no expert, so someone correct me if Im wrong.

Yep. I think it had something to do with the width of the bevel that comprises the blade edge. My injectors seem to have about 1/3 more bevel width when I'm looking at them. Don't know if it completely explains it, but after using injectors almost solely for a year, the transition back to DEs was unusual. Took a number of shaves to get used to the DE blades again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I use SE razors, mostly AC types, two thirds of the time, with DEs the rest, and consistently notice the difference. It's not that there's any chatter with DE blades, but they do feel less substantial, somehow. I quite like the difference in feel, since I get good rsults with both, but if forced to choose I would go for the AC blades.

I've heard some claim SE razors are so much better than DE's they shouldn't even be compared. I've come to the opposite conclusion for myself. It may partly be because I've used DE's for so many years. I've tried to like SE's because it seemed to me they should be better since they can be designed for a single edge without compromise for the 2d edge. I've found just the opposite to be true, for me. This may partly be because I let my mustache and chin hair grow and the DE lets me shave tight places, like the corners of my mouth, more easily. In the photo you can compare my current favorite, Razorock Game changer with their aluminum V2 and the One Blade. If you draw a line bisecting the razor you will find there is less bulk holding the edge with the DE, than with the SE's. The fact that the DE blades are so much cheaper is just a bonus, not a factor in my choice.
IMG_1001.JPG

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've heard some claim SE razors are so much better than DE's they shouldn't even be compared. I've come to the opposite conclusion for myself. It may partly be because I've used DE's for so many years. I've tried to like SE's because it seemed to me they should be better since they can be designed for a single edge without compromise for the 2d edge. I've found just the opposite to be true, for me. This may partly be because I let my mustache and chin hair grow and the DE lets me shave tight places, like the corners of my mouth, more easily. In the photo you can compare my current favorite, Razorock Game changer with their aluminum V2 and the One Blade. If you draw a line bisecting the razor you will find there is less bulk holding the edge with the DE, than with the SE's. The fact that the DE blades are so much cheaper is just a bonus, not a factor in my choice. View attachment 1027974
You have some great looking razors in your collection and I have the Razorock game changer P.84 and I just bought a new Core one blade on its way for $20 US dollars on one of their specials. The Core uses Feather proprietary blades and are a little expensive but some folks use gem blades in them de-spined to bring the costs in line. I have a lot of Gem & Schick injector razors and they work well for me in the winter months when my skin and beard are drier & tougher( I live up in Northern Alberta Canada) and SE system seem to work better. You can buy Gem coated blades 100pcs for $19.73 US shipped to USA & Personna coated injector blades 100pcs for $25.00 US shipped. When you calculate you get 30% to 50% more shaves with a SE blade it becomes apparent the costs are very similar to DE blades of $.02-.04 cents per shave. DE blades with different coatings do have advantages over SE blades selection and can be smoother shaves right out of their wrappings but I get excellent shaves with my SE blades right out of their dispenser also. The two SE razors you have use expensive blades were my Gem & Schick razors use cheaper blades and give good value if costs are a priority. I enjoy DE and SE blades and use both blade systems daily but I favor the SE more now but that could change to DE in the summer months when humidity is higher and just want a change because I like variety. If you want to get into tight areas when shaving around the nose or beard a Schick injector adjustable razor will beat most razors that are available, the adjustable Schick injector razor will give you more freedom of type of aggression or getting those tight spots and you can use a single or Twin II injector blade. But your comments have merit & I have adjustable DE razors also and give me excellent shaves. I have approximately 40% DE and 60% SE razors of about 40 + razors in rotation and just enjoy the variety for now.
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

I've heard some claim SE razors are so much better than DE's they shouldn't even be compared. I've come to the opposite conclusion for myself. It may partly be because I've used DE's for so many years. I've tried to like SE's because it seemed to me they should be better since they can be designed for a single edge without compromise for the 2d edge. I've found just the opposite to be true, for me. This may partly be because I let my mustache and chin hair grow and the DE lets me shave tight places, like the corners of my mouth, more easily. In the photo you can compare my current favorite, Razorock Game changer with their aluminum V2 and the One Blade. If you draw a line bisecting the razor you will find there is less bulk holding the edge with the DE, than with the SE's. The fact that the DE blades are so much cheaper is just a bonus, not a factor in my choice. View attachment 1027974

Feather FHS blades are garbage, so that eliminates the Core. If you haven't tried the Hawk with Schick Proline blades, then you're missing out on some great shaves.

I haven't used a Game changer, so I can't comment on it. I have use many vintage and modern DE razors and none of them compares to my ATT SE1 with Schick Proline blades. I do have a green Hawk and its not bad but my SE1 is more efficient.

Try the Hawk with a heavier handle also!

It isn't the blades that are the issue, it's the way the razor presents the blade, as I outlined. I have 30 something vintage Gillettes (the Red Tip Superspeed
superspeed red.jpeg
may be my favorite), as well as Merkurs and an Above the Tie. They all serve me well. I usually use Feathers or Astras in them. I really like the way the Feather SS (shavette) shaves, EXCEPT no matter which hand I use it blocks my vision. Maybe after almost 50 years of shaving with DE's it's just too easy and natural for me to change. As I mentioned, tho' the SE makes more sense in theory, it is actually bulkier where it counts. Show me an SE that has less bulk than the Game Changer when you consider half the head bisected by the midline of the handle, and I'm listening. The Razorock is hard to beat in this regard, plus it's stainless steel with a flawless finish. I don't think there is a single razor that is best for everyone, but the Game Changer is it for me.

BTW, you can buy 100 Astra blades for $7.35 USD. That's less then 4 cents per edge. They give me a super smooth shave. The new synthetic brushes are a godsend and pair nicely with homemade shaving soap. What I've never understood is why people will use that cold shaving cream in a can when they can have nice hot lather with a brush.

I have an injector and the blade feels flat against my skin. I've never tried a GEM or AC razor, but I have a bunch of DE's. With my injector, I can feel the contours of my face and get all the problem areas better than DE.

I spent about fourteen years dooking it out with DE. Lots of blood and tears (my technique must be terrible). THEN, I read about SE here on this fora and decided to try it out. Started with Schick then strayed to three other SE's only to come back. My Type G's and I's can yield a BBS with almost no blood and tears. Plus, I love the outrageous audible feedback the SE blade (in a Schick) gives. I always say, a vintage Schick is a sports car for your face. Look no further.

I have found that the irritation free SE shaves allow me to enjoy DE shaves a few times a week without much skin damage, which would build up over time if shaving with DE daily. But very few DE make the cut for me.. Red Tip, HD Rocket with Techs n feathers making an appearance now and then.

SE blades are definitely thicker. They chatter less as a result so less irritation.

Strange thing for me is that when I get irritation with an SE shave, it lasts MUCH MUCH less than when I get irritation with a DE.

I have found that the irritation free SE shaves allow me to enjoy DE shaves a few times a week without much skin damage, which would build up over time if shaving with DE daily. But very few DE make the cut for me.. Red Tip, HD Rocket with Techs n feathers making an appearance now and then.

SE blades are definitely thicker. They chatter less as a result so less irritation.

SE razors head geometries are just alot more intuitive to use.

After more than 64-years of shaving like grandpa, I have concluded that a great shave may be had either from a DE, or from an SE. I have everything, so I know.

There has been way too much talk on this website about minutia.

Shave more -- and talk less -- my younger friends....

After more than 64-years of shaving like grandpa, I have concluded that a great shave may be had either from a DE, or from an SE. I have everything, so I know.

There has been way too much talk on this website about minutia.

Shave more -- and talk less -- my younger friends....

You're starting to think like grandpa as well because we actually type here & not talk. 🤣

Top Bottom