What's new

DE vs injector

This may be a stupid question, but I searched and couldn't find any info directly comparing the advantages/disadvantages between DE razors and injectors.

Since guys on the forum have debatted whether DEs or straight razors get a closer shave (and do not mention injectors), am I correct to assume that injectors generally won't get as close of a shave as with a DE? Are injectors easier to shave quicker with? It seems like the average time to shave with a DE (prep + shave) is about 20-30 minutes. How do injectors compare?

Great questions!:yesnod: I think you'll find the answers lie in the individual, not so much the device. I find it takes me longer to shave with an injector than a DE. I really have to work at getting the BBS standard out of an injector. It might be the blades or the ≈70 year old Schick injector razor, but I spend quite a bit of time skin stretching and playing puffer fish (my buddy the cat enjoys watching) to get my cheeks the way I like them. It also (seemingly) takes forever to get that thin fringe of extremely stiff whiskers shorn on my upper lip that abut the vermillion of the lip.

I think the injector occupies a place between the DE and the cartridge razor in terms of speed-versus-efficacy. I find that I can complete my standard three-passes-plus-T&C a lot quicker with a whippy little injector, but as Ron noted, attaining that final BBS standard is a lot trickier, though I can get 80% or so of the way there a lot quicker. Cartridge razors will go even faster to, say 65% of the way to BBS.

Luckily, injectors don't seem to carry the same risk of irritation that a Mach3 does. Still, there do seem to be some hard-core injector lovers out there, especially the ones who were doing that trim-the-Feather-blade trick.

-Rich

That's good to hear; I was hoping that would be the case. Perhaps down the road I'll pick up an injector for when I don't have enough time to use a DE; I would rather use an injector than going back to an electric for quicker shaves.:eek:

The injector is quicker, but you can't get as close as a DE. I use one for travel, and for a change of pace sometimes.

Well, I just won an injector on Ebay for $5.50 shipped. It's a Schick Eversharp (looks like the ones from the 40s) It looks like it's in decent condition, so I'll clean it up/sterilize it and try it out. I'll have to check out a CVS near me to see if they sell any injector blades.:001_smile

zacharydz said:
That's good to hear; I was hoping that would be the case. Perhaps down the road I'll pick up an injector for when I don't have enough time to use a DE; I would rather use an injector than going back to an electric for quicker shaves.:eek:

When I don't have enough time to use a DE, I use the DE anyway and apologize for being late. Worst case scenario, I'll skip the shave all together. I've already spent way too many years of my life settling for average shaves and a tender, blotchy face. This is one area of my life in which I will no longer compromise!

Kyle said:
When I don't have enough time to use a DE, I use the DE anyway and apologize for being late. Worst case scenario, I'll skip the shave all together. I've already spent way too many years of my life settling for average shaves and a tender, blotchy face. This is one area of my life in which I will no longer compromise!

Kyle, I see your point, but hopefully it won't turn out to be a all or none type of situation. I probably only have marginally more sensitive skin than most guys (and thus probably my skin can take a bit more abuse than most guys here at B&B). As long as I don't get tons of razor bumps from an injector, I think it would be an acceptable compromise to get a little rougher shave if it can be done in less time. If I'm late, I'm going to hurry - I don't think im that committed to wetshaving to exclusively shave with a DE for every situation. :lol:

I picked up a 15 pack of Rite-Aid Platinum Chrome injector blades today for $5.99. If I absolutely detest using an injector, then I'm only down less than $12.

I tore my face off with an adjustable PAL injector. I could never figure out which setting was the aggressive side and which was the senstive lol

I don't see time as a factor with any of different types of razors, even the Mach 3. I spend the same amount of time shaving with a DE, injector, and M3. It is using the brush and soap/cream, and the cleanup, that makes the shave take so long in my case.

All that being said, I find the DE to be the best razor for my needs. Blades are nice and sharp. Not that I haven't been tempted to try out a bakelite handled injector to see if it is any better than the adjustable I tried.

I find the Schick injector with a cut-down Feather blade is every bit as close as a DE. It's just different that's all. The injector is super easy to use without nicks or cuts, even with a feather. A blind man with the shakes, on a bad day, can use an injector successfully without cutting himself.

I tend to alternate or sometimes I do my T&C's with the Featherjector after my DE shave.

Cliff

Well, my Schick Everspeed injector arrived today; I loaded it up with some Rite-Aid platinum chrome blades and ended up getting a very close shave- on par with the best shaves that I have gotten with my Merkur HD (albeit I'm still very much getting my technique down with the DE). I did 4 passes with the injector and I was going very fast - as fast as I would with a Mach3. In addition, I was just using hot tap water rather than using a hot pot like I normally do. Overall, I'm quite impressed and didn't get any irritation.

I have several injectors that vary, but IMO they're all more aggressive than any of my Techs, etc.
Lack of variety pushes me away from more frequent shaves, but the hicks shave better for me than the Personnas. I can get a BBS with minimal time & effort on 2+ days' growth.

I'm a die hard Supply 2.0 user. I'm using a two dot pate. It's pretty aggressive I think. I tried the three plate a few times that is aggressive for sure. It may be that because you can't use the second blade, the rinse between several stokes would add time but it would be minor. Rather than rush a shave I'd skip it. and go 1/2 day longer. On topic of this razor, I didn't know how bad the blades they sell were until I tried the Schick. I then threw away the 'supply' blades. If they stop making the schick's I'll start using a DE razor.

I have found for me the the Schick Adjustable with a twin blade from Japan is the best shave for me. Plus I can get over 50 shaves per blade of BBS shaves out of one. So much so that I decide to sell all my other razors. I have tried all the other single blades in these razors and can say that if it wasn't for the twin blades in them, I wouldn't bother with them at all.
Now as I go through all my DE razors to get them ready to sell, I realized that I have way too many blades for them too. I found that I have a pack of Personna 74's and a pack of Gillette Spoiler blades that I would not be able to sell. I decided that I would try out these legendary blades seeing that I would not be a able to sell them. WOW... I got over 80 shaves on the Personna blade. I'm now using the Spoiler. I'm at 35 for a two pass BBS with clean up. I normally get 3 to 5 shaves on modern blades before I have to bin them. The nice thing is that I have tried the blades in a lot of different DE razors both new and vintage with the same results. It's too bad they don't make these blades any more. :sad:

It seems like the average time to shave with a DE (prep + shave) is about 20-30 minutes.

20-30 minutes? :eek2:

I shave in 5 minutes flat (daily four pass DE shave since 1980) when I use canned foam and max. 8 minutes when I face lather with brush/soap
30 minutes for a shave?
Gimme a break....

Btw NOTHING beats a DE for speed once you have your technique down.
It has two edges ,never clogs and you can easily shave your whole face without rinsing it if you flip the edges.
Try doing this with an Injector or modern multi blade razor :)

I get equally good shaves from both formats. I find the injector shaves to be a bit more care free as I seem less likely to cut myself.

For me, nothing beats a DE when you find the right one. I find injectors and most single-edge blade razors that I’ve tried to be very aggressive feeling. That’s not something I like. Others like that though.
I’d rather do 4-5, painless passes to get a bbs, then 2-3 with a razor/blade that hurts to the touch.

IMHO, Schick injectors shave as close or closer than any DE. My E-2 can outshave ANY razor

ok, I’ll bite. I have an E-2 (seamed handle). I know that technique plays a roll, but but it feels aggressive to me.

I definitely am not sure if I have the angle correct though.

Top Bottom