What's new

DE vs cartridge shaving costs.

Hi

I live in India and I was trying to calculate how DE shaving compares to shaving with cartridge razors with regard to cost. I have compiled a small list of razors and blades available in India mainly on www.amazon.in. All the prices are online prices in INR before any discounts or offers.

CARTRIDGE RAZOR / BLADE prices online

Zlade 4 razor : 220.
Zlade 4 razor + 4 blades : 499. (124.75 PB)
Zlade 4 4 blades : 349. (87.25 PB)

Gillette Mach 3 razor : 260.
Gillette Mach 3 4 blades : 470. (117.50 PB)

LS Pro 4 razor : 249.
LS Pro 4 razor + 4 blades : 599. (149.75 PB)
LS Pro 4 4 blades : 389. (97.25 PB)

Feather F3 razor : 1299.
Feather F3 4 blades : 869. (217.25 PB)

Ustraa Gear 5 razor : 243.
Ustraa Gear 5 4 blades : 652. (163.00 PB)

SHAVING COST PER YEAR WITH 12 BLADES

Zlade : 220 + 799 = 1019
Gillette Mach 3 : 260 + 1120 = 1380
LS 4 : 249 + 1129 = 1378
LS 3 : 199 + 902 = 1101
Feather F3 : 1299 + 869 x 3 = 3906
Ustraa : 243 + 1549 = 1792
Vector 3 : 106 + 1274 = 1380
Vector 2 : 59 + 600 = 659

DE SHAVING COST PER YEAR @ 100 BLADES

QShave Future clone : 810 + 300 = 1110
Pearl SS-01 : 259 + 300 = 559

LS : Letsshave an Indian company that distributes Dorco razors. Ustraa is an Indian company that distributes a razor very similar to Schick Smartshave sold in Japan. Blades considered for DE razor are Supermax Diamond Edge.

I doubt that somebody that uses only one cartridge a month is going to use two DE blades per week.
You are not calculating the cost per year because you are not going to buy a new razor each year.

I also calculated how much I would save with DE vs cartridges:
cartridges: 0€ for the handle that I already own, 100€/year for 50 cartridges (one cartridge a week, 2€/cartridge, gillette mach3)
DE: 25€ for the razor (EJ89, but a cheaper one would probably work as weel), 6€/year for 80 blades.

So after three months both have cost me the same, and then I save 94€/year.

The problem with the calculations is that the DE razor lasts many years, at least a decent one; #Teuse beat me to that. The money is in replacement cartridges which is an annual cost. So doing a full life cycle costing, the DE will win the cost comparison with ease. I have not typed the calculations but you can see that the money in repalcement cartridges is well above DE blades.
I can a better shave from 4 passes with a DE than a single pass with the cartridge. Start doing more passes with the cartridge for a closer shave and the blade life is even lower.

DE razor blades win in cost compared to cartridge razors hands down.:quickdraw
With DE razor blades I can always use a sharp blade giving me a smooth comfortable shave with a blade of my preference. With cartridge blades I would end up trying to squeeze out a few extra shaves out of a blade giving me irritation. Out of Mach3 cartridges I get about 5 comfortable shaves. From a DE blade for example a Rapira Lux I get 2 comfortable shaves. At the cost of $10.00 USD for a pack of 100, a shave costs me $0.05. To get that value from a Mach 3 I would have to use one cartridge 30xs.

I doubt that somebody that uses only one cartridge a month is going to use two DE blades per week.
You are not calculating the cost per year because you are not going to buy a new razor each year.

I also calculated how much I would save with DE vs cartridges:
cartridges: 0€ for the handle that I already own, 100€/year for 50 cartridges (one cartridge a week, 2€/cartridge, gillette mach3)
DE: 25€ for the razor (EJ89, but a cheaper one would probably work as weel), 6€/year for 80 blades.

So after three months both have cost me the same, and then I save 94€/year.

I considered the best case scenario for cartridges since they are expensive and the worst case scenario for DE blades since they re cheap. I have used one 5 blade Fusion cartridge for a month (10-12 shaves) but it was an exception. And my DE shaving gives me on an average 3 - 4 shaves per blade.

So in reality the cost of cartridge would be higher than my calculation for all practical purposes and the cost of DE blades lower.

In reality it might be closer to 24 cartridges per year (7 shaves max) and 60 DE blades (3 shaves min) per year. That skews the argument against cartridges even further.

Zlade : 220 + 1598 = 1818
Gillette : 260 + 2240 = 2500
LS 4 : 249 + 2258 = 2507
LS 3 : 199 + 1804 = 2003
Feather : 1299 + 5214 = 6513
Ustraa : 243 + 3098 = 3341
Vector 3 : 106 + 2548 = 2654
Vector 2 : 59 + 1200 = 1259

QShave : 810 + 180 = 990
Pearl DE : 259 + 180 = 439

24 cartridges per year and 60 DE blades....

DE wins hands down as far as cost is concerned. AND DE gives better results.

+2! Better results is the key for me!! The fact is that I am also saving $ is a bonus.

Plus, I get to ‘enjoy’ seeing how much more carts cost each time I go to the shops. :thumbup: :thumbup:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's a complicated question. Lots of people shave with ten cent blades (I did purchase 100 Astra blades for $10, but it was a while ago) and your cartridges are well over ten times as expensive.

A bigger question is the quality of the shave, especially when it comes to after shave skin feel.

But maybe an even bigger question is, "How many shavers on this forum own one DE razor?" People don't tend to purchase a lot of cartridge handles - it's generally a cheap hunk of plastic. DE razors are another story.

I've been using the same razor for the past 5 years and have no plans to ever buy another, but there are 8 other razors in my collection.

So you have to ask yourself if you're a one razor guy, or if you're going to end up in the deep end of the pool with RAD.

It's a complicated question. Lots of people shave with ten cent blades (I did purchase 100 Astra blades for $10, but it was a while ago) and your cartridges are well over ten times as expensive.

A bigger question is the quality of the shave, especially when it comes to after shave skin feel.

But maybe an even bigger question is, "How many shavers on this forum own one DE razor?" People don't tend to purchase a lot of cartridge handles - it's generally a cheap hunk of plastic. DE razors are another story.

I've been using the same razor for the past 5 years and have no plans to ever buy another, but there are 8 other razors in my collection.

So you have to ask yourself if you're a one razor guy, or if you're going to end up in the deep end of the pool with RAD.

Musicman has identified the key factor.

Most people who shave with a cartridge razor are content to use canned shaving foam or gel and a single razor, changing cartridges when needed. They may use an inexpensive aftershave splash. However, once you get into the traditional wet shaving experience, it is easy to get caught up in the variety of razors, blades, soaps and creams, brushes, preshaves, aftershave splashes and balms, etc. If you participate in forums like this one, you will find that many of us are enablers who encourage one or more acquisition disorders.

If you have the discipline to be a minimalist and use a single razor, a single type of blade, a single brush, a single soap and a single post shave product, then traditional wet shaving can be far less expensive than cartridge razors. There are a few such individuals here. However, if you are not disciplined, you might end up like me and many others who have accumulated more shaving supplies than we will ever use in our liefetimes. For us, traditional wet shaving has become a rather expensive yet highly enjoyable hobby.

Thus, you need to determine which type of shaver you will be.

Musicman has identified the key factor.

Most people who shave with a cartridge razor are content to use canned shaving foam or gel and a single razor, changing cartridges when needed. They may use an inexpensive aftershave splash. However, once you get into the traditional wet shaving experience, it is easy to get caught up in the variety of razors, blades, soaps and creams, brushes, preshaves, aftershave splashes and balms, etc. If you participate in forums like this one, you will find that many of us are enablers who encourage one or more acquisition disorders.

If you have the discipline to be a minimalist and use a single razor, a single type of blade, a single brush, a single soap and a single post shave product, then traditional wet shaving can be far less expensive than cartridge razors. There are a few such individuals here. However, if you are not disciplined, you might end up like me and many others who have accumulated more shaving supplies than we will ever use in our liefetimes. For us, traditional wet shaving has become a rather expensive yet highly enjoyable hobby.

Thus, you need to determine which type of shaver you will be.

Just to clarify, I started with DE shaving in my teens. Used a single DE razor for about 10-12 years. Then in my 30s switched to cartridges. Used all of them. And I mean all of them. From cheap disposables to the most expensive ones like Gillette Fusion. Now in my 40s I have switched back to a DE razor. I am not a collector of razors. And I still use foam with my DE razor and blades. I get great results. It works for me. The point I was trying to make is even after spending more on cartridges, the results are not better. Cartridges live more on slick marketing than actual results.

If you are strictly talking blade cost, DE is always going to win because even expensive DE blades only cost around 50 cents each.
If someone were to use a DE, middle of the road blades, a shave stick or canned foam/gel and an inexpensive aftershave; thats a pretty cheap shave.
The problem though, as someone else said, is avoiding falling down the rabbit hole of the hobbyist side of traditional wet shaving.
Its easy to start out modest and then next thing you know, you have a razor and brush for every day of the week, 1000 blades and enough soap to last you the next 10 years. At that point, it stops being a savings and becomes a hobby.
With carts, there really isnt the hobbyist aspect of it, unless you go the route of using a cart in a traditional way (with a brush and soap) and get one of those fancy handles for your Fusion or Mach 3.

I have a QShave equivalent and love it. My facial hair is also similar to what I see with friends I have from India (very Coarse--forgive me though if I stereotype). It will be a very good choice for you. It will last much longer than a year as other people have noted, so your cost in year 2 will be even lower.

I think a Fatip Grande would also work well for you and last much longer; however it is more expensive. It is plated brass instead of plated zinc alloy. I have a Gillette razor made in the 1930's that is plated brass. If the plating on brass gets a small hole, the underlying brass will not corrode. If you get a hole with Zinc alloy, you will lose the underlying metal somewhat quickly. You might keep Fatip in mind, but I would still recommend QShave. If I change my location on Ebay to India, I can find Fatip Grande for just over 1,900. It would need to last 3 times as long as the QShave to be worth it. I am not sure if this would be the case, but it is worth considering, especially several years later if the QShave only lasts 3 or 4 years.

Everything you are looking at is plated. Take care of the plating--especially if the Pearl has a threaded piece. Use a little oil to lube any threads or points that rub, and be careful not to over tighten or drop/ding the razor. If the plating remains intact the QShave or Pearl should last a long time. I love my QShave.

Mute Point for me.. The razor blades are certainly much cheaper than the Mach 3 Cartridges that I used to use. However my R.A.D - S.A.D - B.A.D in addition to the aftershaves etc.. Has me completely upside down from my cart days year after year. I wouldn't change it though and it is money well spent. I love this hobby and am grateful I found it.

Mute Point for me.. The razor blades are certainly much cheaper than the Mach 3 Cartridges that I used to use. However my R.A.D - S.A.D - B.A.D in addition to the aftershaves etc.. Has me completely upside down from my cart days year after year. I wouldn't change it though and it is money well spent. I love this hobby and am grateful I found it.
Same - Soaps, brushes, creams, shave sticks, stands, strops, stones, straights, DE razors, aftershaves, scuttles aside, I may have recouped my DE blade investment costs. Good shaves have never grown old.

Top Bottom