What's new

DE to injector shave conversion

Hey everyone,

I would like to try an injector razor, and wondered what Gillette might be best to try first.

I do tend to prefer milder razors, such as a Merkur 33C, or Merkur Progress on setting 1 or 1.5. What injector would you recommend with that in mind (i.e. I, J, G, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

You need to look for Schick razors, not ones by Gillette, who didn't take up the injector concept. Generally, the further into the alphabet, the milder Schick razors tend to be. My preferred Schick is a G, which I don't find especially aggressive. Another option would be a modern injector like the Supply model, which is pretty mild.

Hey everyone,

I would like to try an injector razor, and wondered what Gillette might be best to try first.

I do tend to prefer milder razors, such as a Merkur 33C, or Merkur Progress on setting 1 or 1.5. What injector would you recommend with that in mind (i.e. I, J, G, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.
Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Here is a good resource as you hunt for the Schick you prefer.
RENALDO.US - Schick Injector razor history and Colonel Jacob Schick

My first Schick was the Type E with Bakelite (Catalin) from the 1930's. I use Schick brand blades.

If you find one for sale and need a second opinion, send me a PM.

I just shaved for the first time with an injector last week. I bought a J1 and found it to be a fairly mild shave when paired with a Chinese Schick ("Chick") blade. For the purpose of calibrating my findings, when using a DE, my current daily driver is a Timeless 0.68 SB.

My understanding is that the injector razors became more mild as time went by, so that those later in the alphabet are milder than those earlier in the alphabet.

Bob

You need to look for Schick razors, not ones by Gillette, who didn't take up the injector concept. Generally, the further into the alphabet, the milder Schick razors tend to be. My preferred Schick is a G, which I don't find especially aggressive. Another option would be a modern injector like the Supply model, which is pretty mild.

I second the recommendation for a G or I (the only difference is style), but if you want a slightly milder shave or a longer handle, try a J or later.

The Gillette injector razor is not very common as it was only produced for a few years in the 1970s.

With that said, it is a fine razor with a twin blade, but very mild with a single edge.

I second the recommendation for a G or I (the only difference is style), but if you want a slightly milder shave or a longer handle, try a J or later.
I'd say stick with the G. I'm not so sure they are the same. I's can take twins, there is also a hydromatic and non hydromatic version.

Can't go wrong with a Schick Adjustable, love having all the options to make it more mild or aggressive. First pass is always set to the max, second is half way and 3rd pass is the lowest. To me it's like having 8 razors in 1. Though I hear even on the max setting, it's not as aggressive as some of the earlier injectors.

Newbies to injectors should experiment with the handle angle.

I get better shaves if I "ride the cap," i.e., a shallow handle angle, by raising the handle slightly.

07154596-AEFD-44D6-B6AD-A87A67C5A790.png

Top Bottom