What's new

DE that shaves as close as your favorite SE

I expect that most of you, like me, use DE razors as well as SE's. In fact, I would guess that most of you first used a DE razor and wandered into the SE's more recently. One exception would be those of us who started shaving with an injector or Gem a long time ago.

In any event, I still like DE's but haven't found one yet that gives me as close a two pass shave as my current favorite SE, the Enoch. My MMOC shaves as closely as the Enoch but is less enjoyable for me to use. It requires too much focus, because a slip could mean a real cut, something that I don't have to worry about with any of the AC razors I've used.

So, regardless of which is your favorite SE, do you have a DE that you feel provides an equally close shave?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Up until lately, I didn't have any AC-format razors that would shave me without letting blood. I've struggled with the format, but I've had some suggestive results with the RazoRock Hawk V3SB. I'll be returning to that research in a while.

My best SE razor bar none is the Blackland Sabre (I use L1 for the first few shaves, then finish the blade with L2). Second best is the PAA Starling V2OC, third best is the Gem MMOC followed by the ATT G1 as I've modded it so far. I want to thin down the leading edge of the cap on the G1, which ought to open up the shave angle sweet spot a little.

I have two DEs that will get that close: the RazoRock Wunderbar and the ATT S2. Both are slants. I can get close to that with the Fasan Double Slant, and I'm getting suggestive results from the PAA El Fantasma slant ("ElF").

I'm not tremendously engaged by non-slant DEs, at least partially because slants are the DEs that shave me as close as an SE razor.

O.H.

Nothing in my den outshaves my Schick E-2 with a Chick blade. The DE’s that come closest are my Lord L5 or my Gillette Slim on “9” with a Personna Blue

My Timeless .95 is as close and comfortable as any razor I own (no injectors, only GEM blade models). It's right up there with my Gem Lather Catcher as far as 2 pass BBS. For Vintage, either the Gillette Slim or my Silver Star 3 piece for a smooooooooth comfortable shave.

I recently picked up a razorock game changer 64 P and it’s my favorite DE in terms of easy smooth shaving. Been using it exclusively for the last couple months .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a fan of the old Rapide wedge blade razors loaded with GEM blades. They give me very close shaves without irritation. The DE razor that comes close is the FATIP Piccolo, but you have to be a little careful with that little guy.

I have a SS Mongoose, a King Cobra and an I1 Schick SE. I've ever only used Feather Pro AC blades and Chicks. The AC razors are very, very unforgiving. I must be at the tip top of my shaving "game" to use those. But the results are phenomenal. The Schick is, however, quite the opposite. I could have 4 cups of coffee and 6 cigarettes and give myself a good case of the shakes and still use it without any issues. Amazing little shaver that one.

The closest shave with a DE that I've ever had that even remotely resembles the AC is possibly my Red Tip. I've used a multitude of blades with that one and the best I've had (for me) is the Dorco ST300 or Voskhod on the 3rd or 4th shave. For whatever reason, those blades seem to get sharper for the 2nd or 3rd shaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Favorite SE razors are the Gem brand of razors with Gem Personna SS PTFE blade or Schick E2 with a chick blade or Personna injector blade.
Favorite DE that can get me close to my Gem shaves & it took a little time to find this blade (Kai SS blade) to make my Razorock Game changer .84 to a level of great improvement & enjoyment.
Another DE razor that gives me excellent shaves all the time with any DE blade is the Razorock Mission, it is hardly mentioned any where but it based on the EJ89 design IMO, excellent zamik razor head on a stainless handle for $20.00.
This preference will last for a few months until I find some other razor to distract me or change my mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom