What's new

De shaving

Hi I'm new to de shaving can anyone give me some advice because I seem to cut myself every time . I'm using a Edwin Jagger with derby blades it feels really sore while I'm shaving

Make sure you are applying no pressure. The weight of the razor is all the pressure you need. Also check your blade angle, might be too steep. After that, if you still have irritation, you may need to try a different blade.

Welcome to the B&B.:thumbup1:

The Derby blades do not work for me. My face feels irritated when I am done shaving. Double check the blade angle because if it is too steep then the blade will cut every time.

I think I may have to duc when I say this. I am new also and started with the EJ and derby and had the same issue at first. Go with no pressure and watch the angle. I also bought a sample pack of blades and just tried the Treet classic.

The blade seems dull and it pulled some, however I had very little irritation and a nice shave. Might be worth a try until you get better at technique. I like shark and astra myself now. I think the Treet may be a good blade to start with because I could apply some pressure without slicing myself

Welcome aboard B&B. Hope you enjoy the ride.

You have already received the same advice I would have given. Patience and practice will be rewarded. Good luck.

Hi I'm new to de shaving can anyone give me some advice because I seem to cut myself every time . I'm using a Edwin Jagger with derby blades it feels really sore while I'm shaving
I heartily recommend mantic59's channel on YouTube. It will give you plenty of good advise. There is also good info in the wiki here.

My first experience with Derby was not so good, when I used a Merkur 38C. Switching to a 1960 SuperSpeed seemd to improve my results, as the SS is considered "less agressive" than the Merkur.

I'd also look into a blade sampler so you can find the blades that are best suited to your face.

try a good shave pre oil in your face prep. I usually do a hot towel, 15 secs, add my 8 drops of Pacific shave oil, then hot towel for another 30 secs. Than lather.....Plus, Ive never been able to shave after showering, I always shower after shaving myself. I too have sensitive skin and wirey thick stubble, I usually follow my shave with a hot shower, with a moisturizing facew wash. You have the right tools though, the EJ is top shelf in my book, and the derby blades should be ok too, EJ razor is super smooth when shaving with it properly, adjust your angle until it just slices through those whiskers without any effort, that should and will happen eventually. Then once it does, your face will feel like it was never even touched by a razor! Good luck to you and welcome to b&b...just be patient with yourself and have fun too!

I nicked myself a lot in the early days until I learnt to do three things:

1. stop being a thug with my razor and let it do the work,

2. cleaned the head of dry soap when I finished (just using a tissue and removing the blade first),

3. used more water in the lather mix

Once I did all that it was plain sailing, and I get a *MUCH* better shave for it, your mileage may vary.

I will keep trying but the wife is having to wash the towels on 90 degrees all the time to get the blood out! Is it better to grip the razor at the end or closer to the blade I don't seem to be able to master no pressure after using fusion and Mach 3 for years

What blades do you recommend I live in Yorkshire where everybody is buying fusion pro glide

this may cause a sharp intake of breath... I had the same experience with Derbys and a few other blades, but the blade that works best in my DE89L is the Feather. They're scarily sharp, but I get excellent shaves without nicks etc.

I will keep trying but the wife is having to wash the towels on 90 degrees all the time to get the blood out! Is it better to grip the razor at the end or closer to the blade I don't seem to be able to master no pressure after using fusion and Mach 3 for years

Try using only the first two fingers and the thumb (using the upper "pads" of those digits) and holding the razor at the balance point. This will help you keep the pressure very light. You will need to overcome Mach III habits.

I would also suggest trying a different blade. There are two I would suggest as a start (in order of preference):

1) Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (Yellows) from Russia. These are a sharp (but not uber-sharp) premium blade with a high comfort level.

2) Red Personna from Israel. A milder (and cheaper) blade than the Yellows but a blade with good smoothness.

Personally I don't find Derbys either particularly sharp or smooth (not on my face at least, although they certainly have their fans). The natural tendency when coming from carts is to add pressure when a blade doesn't feel like it's cutting it. But bearing down leads to razor burn. With a sharper blade you can lighten up and still get the job done.

Here is to a good shave!

Bill

Rob-

You've got to get the blade thing sorted out. If you don't find a blade that works with your razor on your face, you will never find joy. It really is that much of a big deal. Some razor & blade combos are going to tear your face up every single time you shave, no matter what you do !

The funny part is when you hand that same combo to the guy next to you and he gets the best shave of his life...

If you are starting with the grain, being very careful and using no pressure (especially against the grain) and still getting bloody, start trying different blades. When I need a gentle blade, I head to Wal-Mart and pick-up some Wilkinsons, many around here feel the same way. As always though YMMV.

Good luck, keep trying, and for god's sake man, don't give up!

the blade that works best in my DE89L is the Feather. They're scarily sharp, but I get excellent shaves without nicks etc.

The EJ89L(or any other EJ), works exceptionally well with the Feather blade. I have posted MANY times that I believe this blade, for being the sharpest, will very quickly teach you the correct angle/no pressure thing. Give them a try. I think you will be very surprised with the outcome. Good luck.:001_smile

David

Top Bottom