What's new

DE shaving with shave foam

have had good results with several foams over past few years.
each worked well; just not as enjoyable as soap/cream with badger brush!

foams.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When I first started shaving it was with my dad's DE. Then he musta got grossed out and bought me one, lol.

But he always used canned foam, so I did too. Never heard of a brush and puck until I was past 30.

So I am more likely to think about my dad when I use the canned stuff. So I use it when I feel nostalgic, or in the shower.

But once I got into soaps, especially sticks, my love affair began. The shaving EXPERIENCE can't be beat. The scent choices, the cushion, the slickness, all of it is better for ME.

YOUR mileage ain't my mileage. We is all a different kind of animal. Enjoy the difference!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have had the opposite experience.

I have a can of Nivea Deep Clean shave gel I use when I'm in a pinch, but my experience is that the slickness is just not there for me.
You made me go look at the can. I actually have Nivea Sensitive Shaving Foam, not the gel.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
When I first started shaving it was with my dad's DE. Then he musta got grossed out and bought me one, lol.

But he always used canned foam, so I did too. Never heard of a brush and puck until I was past 30.

So I am more likely to think about my dad when I use the canned stuff. So I use it when I feel nostalgic, or in the shower.

My first memories of Dad's shaving gear was Old spice puck in a mug and a (probably Gillete and probably Adjustable DE). Later he moved to Gillette Good News and is now onto the Bic three bladed disposables and will not use the ones with the pivot. He uses Barbasol now.

FarmerTan

My first memories of Dad's shaving gear was Old spice puck in a mug and a (probably Gillete and probably Adjustable DE). Later he moved to Gillette Good News and is now onto the Bic three bladed disposables and will not use the ones with the pivot. He uses Barbasol now.
Our Dad's got smarter as they aged. If my old man heard the phrase "shave den" he'd laugh his.... rear off!

Canned foam basically works if one wants it to work.
I use Gillette and Barbasol canned cream for a lot of
My shaves and they turn out just fine.
I alternate back and forth between my brush soaps/cream and the can.
I enjoy the fact that there's no brush to have to rinse out and shake dry
when using the can. It's convenient.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Our Dad's got smarter as they aged.

My Pop has a beard that looks like the lovechild of Billy Gibbons and Cousin It (in platinum, though, because he’s classy).

That might be the right idea for some, but not me. Until my bride watches the 1982 version of “The Thing” or a re-run of “Full House” and says “Do it! Grow a nose neighbor like Brimley’s for me!,” his sage wisdom on how best to hang a crumb sanctuary off one’s face will be lost on me.

Editing to add: Wifey said that‘s never going to happen. I can’t grow a mustache that doesn’t make me look creepier.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
How many of you can share a similar experience or am In the only person?

Other than the off-putting post-shave smell, the version of canned Barbasol sold in Dollar Tree stores worked better for me than the same product in more expensive stores.

If you can’t make a lather thicker than a canned cream (not that it’s necessarily better), I don’t think it means soaps and non-aerosol creams are the reason.

That said, if it’s not worth it to you; and canned foams have you covered; that’s great.

From personal experience, I didn’t use canned cream properly for years. I would just slap some thick layer of cream on my face and half way through the shave the cream would dry up. One day I thought, why not add water to my lather? Eureka! A nice slick lather is now possible.

I always added water to soap or cream when brush lathering, the idea should work with canned cream, right? Yes. I like canned cream because it’s easy to use and it’s cheap.

I bought some Barbasol a couple of weeks ago. Just because. So the other day I was shaving and had a horrible soap/lather - it was a sample I was trying out. Anyway, it wasn't going well and was kinda hurting so I grabbed some Barbasol and finished the shave off. Even used y brush some. It was ok - not bad, but would rather use shaving soap.

FarmerTan

I bought some Barbasol a couple of weeks ago. Just because. So the other day I was shaving and had a horrible soap/lather - it was a sample I was trying out. Anyway, it wasn't going well and was kinda hurting so I grabbed some Barbasol and finished the shave off. Even used y brush some. It was ok - not bad, but would rather use shaving soap.
I like to get a nice prep, keep face wet, hand lather any old bar soap you got, apply to your face. Then immediately put some barbasol foam on top of that, and shave. I've done it about 4 times and I'm always amazed at how comfortable the shave is. Just weird.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used canned foams and gels for the majority of my shaving life. I always applied it with a brush by spraying/applying it straight onto a wet brush. Never had an issue and would happily go back to using canned products if I had to. I still have a few canned products in the back of the bathroom vanity which I might break out and use up before they won’t work. In the end we should use what works best for us to give us the best shave. If that is canned foam and a cartridge razor great, if that is a DE, SE or a Straight with a brush and soap/cream then that is great. We are spoiled these days with the choices that we have on offer. Our forefathers weren’t.

FarmerTan

I used canned foams and gels for the majority of my shaving life. I always applied it with a brush by spraying/applying it straight onto a wet brush. Never had an issue and would happily go back to using canned products if I had to. I still have a few canned products in the back of the bathroom vanity which I might break out and use up before they won’t work. In the end we should use what works best for us to give us the best shave. If that is canned foam and a cartridge razor great, if that is a DE, SE or a Straight with a brush and soap/cream then that is great. We are spoiled these days with the choices that we have on offer. Our forefathers weren’t.
Amen.

I have a can of Gillette Barbershop Foamy that’s been sitting in my drawer for months, I’m too scared to try it. I bought it mainly for the scent, it smells just like Clubman and hangs around nicely once rinsed off. It feels kind of gloopy out of the can but a little water makes it pretty slick. In light of your good experience with foam I just may have to try it!

I’ve used canned shave preps with DE razors and gotten acceptable results, but using a good soap/cream with a brush gives me optimal results. The shaves are closer and my skin feels and looks better post shave.

I used canned foam for a while when a new job necessitated a quicker morning routine. Add a little water for a better shave. Results were fine. Enjoy the scent of Gillette Foamy; reminds me so very much of Gillette Sundown from the 60’s.

When I first started DE shaving I was using Original Source’s mint and tea tree shaving gel, which I had moved on to because I found the scents of all the other shaving gels/foams sold in shops to be universally boring. I liked the refreshing and cooling sensation it left too.
Sadly it was becoming harder to find in local shops but it was a decent product.

I continued using it when I bought my first DE razor but geofatboy’s video on how to shave with a DE razor convinced me to also try shaving cream and a brush. At the time Asda was selling a cream as part of a ’Groomed’ range, which was actually made by The Real Shaving Co, and it was for sale at the princely sum of £1.50 a tub! I was sold on shaving creams straight away after the first use. When I saw how many different scents you could get for creams and soaps too I realised what I’d been missing.

95EBB4B3-3F75-4B1D-98FE-645EE3C5D388.jpeg

Recommended shave oils: 1) Holland and Barrett Vit-E oil (not sold as a shave product), 2) Nuage Men Menthol, cheap, mostly refined sunflower oil, and 3) King of Shaves "blue" (sensitive), slicker than any natural oil, but a lot of stuff like siloxanes that you'll have to make up your own minds about.

The blue shave gels in cans (branded "Mach 3" and "Gillette Sensitive" ) are also not great to apply by hand (too thick again), but work surprisingly well if you take the attitude that they are really shaving creams, packaged for some weird reason in a can, and lather them up in a bowl, using a brush. You can then control the thickness of the lather, the slickness is very much superior to the canned foams, and they don't cause a chemical irritation.

I can't measure pH here, but I'm prepared to guess that the synthetic stuff in the gels is nearer a neutral pH than a real soap.

[*] Is there an ingredient in most shaving soaps that isn't in plain bar soap? I never get any irritation from washing my face with ordinary Palmolive or Simple, no matter how much soap I use. There's an experiment I must try soon: lather up some Simple (unscented) with a brush...

I’d almost forgotten about Nuage Men menthol shaving oil. It used to be stocked in my nearest Asda, cost about £1 and was the first shaving oil I tried. Thanks for bringing back my memories!

Also thanks for bringing back some great memories of my Chemistry lessons and very attractive Chemistry teacher by referring to pH levels. I think we should send you some litmus paper or universal indicator solution to do some testing!

For about 8 years straight I have not used canned foam. Then about a year ago I decided to try a can of foam again just for kicks to see what I thought of it now. (I did use it for many years prior to now.) I was shocked how bad it was. To me it felt like plastic foam. It was terrible. It did not even feel moist. It was Barbasol Aloe. I honestly don't know how anyone could go back to that crap.

Plastic foam? Have you tryed to add water once foam is in your hand? They contain stearic acid as hard pucks and creams...

Top Bottom