What's new

DE shaving is a rabbit hole

Hello all, I just joined B&B this is my first post. I’ve been DE shaving for about a year now so still bit of a noob. I bought my first DE (Edwin Jagger 89) when I found out my wife and I where having a boy, figured I could pass it on to him when he’s old enough. I liked the idea of wet shaving, it’s classic and more inexpensive than cartridge shaving.... so I thought! In about a year I have acquired almost 20 vintage razors, currently have 2 shaving soaps on the go and just won an eBay bid for a straight razor last night guess I need a strop and stone now. Oh and now I’m on a shaving forum. This wet shaving thing has opened up a rabbit hole! A rabbit hole I’m thoroughly enjoying.

uWXDBmVYdByWreOuRs.gif

Welcome to B&B.
Straight razors and keeping them sharp is another passtime in it's own right. Enjoy your shaves.

It is truly a rabbit hole. Nine years later, I’ve been through the fads, and the trial and error. I spent five of those years selling off, PIFing, using up, and tossing most of my collection in order to settle in to what works for me while maintaining a small aftershave and soap variety. The goal was to save money, which I failed at for a long time. There’s nothing wrong with a hobby but I developed an awareness of excess and I wasn’t comfortable with it. Balance comes with time.

Wet shave collecting may cost more money than carts, but unlike carts, you actually get something for your money! A very wise person here on B&B made the point that when you buy a razor, you're really just renting it. You can easily recoup most of the money you spent on it quickly, whether on eBay, Etsy or B/S/T here on B&B. Heck, even soaps have some decent resale value, and I don't know any self-respecting wetshaver who doesn't wanna go through another man's leavings like a ghoul! That's how some of us got our greatest treasures.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Luke, if you get into SR shaving, all your "investments" in DE razors will be wasted. The gentlemanly art of SR shaving over time will eclipse what you have been enjoying with DE shaving.

Trust me, I'm an engineer and have been through the DE rabbit hole and am now firmly falling into the SR rabbit hole.

Welcome to the Madness.

Like you, one of my first razors was an EJ89 and many, many acquisitions later it’s still my go-to. The rabbit hole of vintage razors is indeed a deep one. How about sharing some pics?

You mention a DE rabbit hole then go on to say you have bought a straight.
You, my friend, are about to delve into a warren.

I was fortunate not to have been led astray with DEs in that I only have 3. Straights on the other hand are a different story altogether.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your son. They grow up fast so enjoy every single second. It’s only a rabbit hole for a little while. Then it becomes a full on tunnel with a ton of different branches. Explore and get lost. To quote my favorite doctor: “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” -Dr Seuss

I liked the idea of wet shaving, it’s classic and more inexpensive than cartridge shaving.... so I thought!

LOL ... This was my exact thought when i first decided to try wet shaving as a "protest" at the exorbitant cost of those cartridge things that i have been buying most of my adult life! And on top of that i also felt that using cartridges was very wasteful and not particularly environmentally friendly. But by far the biggest driver was trying to reduce costs! Boy was i mistaken! (but in a good way) Being a bit OCDC it only took me about 1 week to figure that i had fallen into a huge "rabbit hole" ..

Multiple rabbit holes: razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, AS

And then another week after that i realized that there were in fact MULTIPLE rabbit holes!

But despite that, i'm learning heaps and having great fun spoiling myself after many years of hard work. At least that's how i justify it to myself anyway!

It's a great journey however, so enjoy it all :)

Top Bottom