What's new

DE shave #1 and 2. I'm on the path...

OK. Long time disposable wet shaver. Mostly in the shower with bar soap. No real thought or plan, just getting it done. My main draw to DE shaving was the realization that I have been throwing away plastic razors for 40yrs.

I placed my order for a 34C, some Proraso products, a brush and blades. 1st shave was great. After lurking and reading and watching, I thought it was going to be more difficult. No nicks or weepers at all. I did a WTG pass only. Got a fair shave, all good.

Today was shave #2. Did my prep, loaded a Personna blade and did 3 passes, finishing with ATG. Awesome shave, 3 of the tiniest weepers that were gone by the time I applied AS.

I'm hooked. I'll keep my Harry's around, but I've already offered it to my wife. I'm going to keep it minimalist and use this combo for a year before heading down any rabbit holes. Just play with different blades, work on technique and see how it goes.

I look forward to lurking around and sucking up knowledge.

Although you don't know it, you (this site) have already helped me out a ton, Thanks.
Welcome to B&B….. A very informative site indeed. Your introduction sounds so very familiar.
*Placed initial order for my 34C, brush, and some blades.
*First few shaves were both good and challenging, (sometimes a little bloody).
*More blades, soaps/creams, after shaves and balms.
* More searching the web.
* Started ordering more razors…EJ89,
Muhle 89, more soaps/creams.
* Muhle 41, Muhle Rocca, EJ 3ONE6,
Outlaw, more soaps/creams,
Aftershaves, webs, forums, ASD2,
Straight Razors, forums, web………….
* B&B

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Welcome to B&B….. A very informative site indeed. Your introduction sounds so very familiar.
*Placed initial order for my 34C, brush, and some blades.
*First few shaves were both good and challenging, (sometimes a little bloody).
*More blades, soaps/creams, after shaves and balms.
* Started ordering more razors…EJ89,
Muhle 89, more soaps/creams.
* Muhle 41, Muhle Rocca, EJ 3ONE6,
Outlaw, more soaps/creams,
Aftershaves, webs, forums, ASD2,
Straight Razors, forums, web………….
* B&B

Oh man, your message speaks volumes to me. I totally understand how you feel! Cartridge and electric shaving could never compare to the wonders of DE shaving. When you apply that soap to your face with a brush, that zen moment you feel is like none other. Soap soap soapody soap, soapody soap, gotta love that soap!

And you started out the way most do, with the Merker 34C. But, it looks like you are looking for something better. What makes me think that you ask? Well, you jumped to the Edwin Jagger 89, then the Muhle 89, Muhle 41, Muhle Rocca, Ej 3ONES, Outlaw, ASD2. You got quite the collection there. Which razor out of your collection would you say, is your favorite so far?

Oh man, your message speaks volumes to me. I totally understand how you feel! Cartridge and electric shaving could never compare to the wonders of DE shaving. When you apply that soap to your face with a brush, that zen moment you feel is like none other. Soap soap soapody soap, soapody soap, gotta love that soap!

And you started out the way most do, with the Merker 34C. But, it looks like you are looking for something better. What makes me think that you ask? Well, you jumped to the Edwin Jagger 89, then the Muhle 89, Muhle 41, Muhle Rocca, Ej 3ONES, Outlaw, ASD2. You got quite the collection there. Which razor out of your collection would you say, is your favorite so far?
Well, I really like them all as they have their on place in the rotation, but I really look forward to the Rocca start. More than the 89 and less than the 41. That birch wood handle is a classic as well.

Yo dude! I am a first timer DE shaver as well! Woohoo, we both joined the newbies club. Hey, I hear ya, them cheap disposable razors that only lasts but a couple shaves, then all go to the landfill, all that plastic, total waste!

The Murker 34C is literally got to be the most popular DE razor that I can think of right now. And, it doesn't cost that much to start you out right, which gives you a chance to decide weather your in this for the long haul or not. Sounds like you are, and I am happy to hear that.

Thank you for also going into your experience. My experience was quite similar to yours. We just gotta learn our technique, develop our muscle memory, and get better at it in time. Proraso was going to be my 2nd choice for shaving soap, but I chose the Tabac for my first time.

Once these wonderful folks on this site converted me back to the lite side, there was no question in my mind, that I was going to be serious about getting into DE shaving. I started looking at several of the popular razors, I knew I was going to go with DE, didn't want single edge.

I weighed the positives and negatives of each of those razors, all in their different class ranges. I decided, well, I am serious about this, so might as well go big or go home. So I decided on the Feather AS-D2 DE razor.

proxy.php

I got a post on all this in the general shave discussion forum if you want to go take a look. But I tell you what I want to look at right now, your new razor. Come on man, don't leave me hanging, where's that Murker 37C? If you could post a pic of it, along with your shaving setup, I'd be much appreciated.

We maybe newbies to the DE's, but were not going to let that stop us. Were going to get our weepers, but we shed no tears from our peepers, for we persevere, cause there is no other choice. HEHE 😂

I am very happy for you, congratulations!
+1. I started in December last year. Started with the KCG and recently bought a Fatip Special Edition - which is actually two razors in one.

@GKennedy - welcome! This forum is invaluable for us newbies in getting the right information. And I love your intention for sticking with the one razor you now have. I had that intention too and then RAD took over! But I must say that the Fatip certainly tempered further outbreaks.

Enjoy the journey and good luck with lurking on here and attempting a year with the same set up. I think I lasted about a month with that mindset before I headed off down multiple rabbit holes :lol:
Don’t we all. I was strong. I was going to hold on. No sir, one razor, one brush, one blade, thank you very much…after three months I caved 😁. And after all this is as much a hobby as it is daily practicalities.

I do find though that the choice of my second razor (Fatip Special Edition) did temper the RAD quite a bit. Brushes is another topic.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So far, B&B has cost me around $40. I bought two inexpensive brushes from PAA... the Peregrino ( haven't used it yet) and the Atomic Rocket... which I've only used one but love. It's very similar to the only brush I had when I joined up here: the Executive Shaving Co. Ultimate G4 brush... made for them by Alpha Brush Company.

I think B&B is such a great source for information... esp. to those of us who are new to wet shaving. I did a bit of wet shaving as a teen... but my dad was an electric razor user... so I borrowed my mom's stuff from time to time.

Then in my mid 30s or so (I am having a problem remembering the actual time frame), I bought a Vulfix Super Badger brush and some drug store shaving soap and used that with a which ever Gillette cartridge razor was around at the time. Went back to gels and was using the Gillette Fusion Power at the end.

Fast forward to Feb. 15 of this year... Our youngest son sent me a RR Lupo DE aluminum DE razor.. and I've been back to wet shaving since then.... it's a fun journey.

It is indeed a fun journey. I have been Philishaving for more than 20 years after being done with cartridges. And now for fun and a smooth shave I picked up DE shaving in December of last year. I have enjoyed every day of it so far - including the learning curve nicks and cuts.

This forum has helped me out more than once regarding technique, information about razors and just odd insight that makes your shave even more enjoying. Love it!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So far, B&B has cost me around $40

Only 40? You got to up your game man. I've already spent over 400 dollars. But I am also all set for the year on supplies doing that. But as most folks on here always say, enjoy the journey.

I will tell you what though, my first soap was Tabac, my next soap was Proraso, for which I have 3-kinds of right now. Once I took a first sniff of my first artisan soap from Stirling, it was instant love at first sight.

Knowing what I know now, if I could go back in time to give myself some advice, I would have said, don't buy the Tabac or the Proraso, buy Stirling artisan soaps. But thats ok, mistakes are part of the journey.

+1. I started in December last year. Started with the KCG and recently bought a Fatip Special Edition - which is actually two razors in one.

@GKennedy - welcome! This forum is invaluable for us newbies in getting the right information. And I love your intention for sticking with the one razor you now have. I had that intention too and then RAD took over! But I must say that the Fatip certainly tempered further outbreaks.
I considered getting the Special Edition, as well, but encountered too many reviews complaining of plating loss. Instead, I opted for nickel plated and gold plated Fatips (Piccolo and Grande). Like you, I'm very happy with my Fatip razors and will likely not buy another razor. 🙂

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Only 40? You got to up your game man. I've already spent over 400 dollars. But I am also all set for the year on supplies doing that. But as most folks on here always say, enjoy the journey.

I will tell you what though, my first soap was Tabac, my next soap was Proraso, for which I have 3-kinds of right now. Once I took a first sniff of my first artisan soap from Stirling, it was instant love at first sight.

Knowing what I know now, if I could go back in time to give myself some advice, I would have said, don't buy the Tabac or the Proraso, buy Stirling artisan soaps. But thats ok, mistakes are part of the journey.
I won't tell you how much I spent before I found B&B... but I'm way over your $400. ;)

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I’ll be able to make it one year with my 34c and brush. No problem. Blades and soaps are expendable. I’ll work through some different brands.

I’m working on technique. Testing blades. And getting nice shaves.

Comfortable shaves. No nicks or weepers at all. The 34c is a fine razor. As all the reviews say. For beginners or advanced users.

I don’t think I have enough experience to make an informed decision on what I would need different/next.

Once I have the experience. I’ll move to something new. Or maybe not.

Last edited:
I am brand new to this as well and also sporting a 34C. have a few soaps. extro, and 3 stirlings and a few others. I favor the stirling.

you will be a pro with that DE before long.

I recently ventured out into a Feather Artist Club straight w/ the disposable blades. it is a whole new level of closeness. the stubble from a DE around the 12 hr mark is what I got around the 18-20 hr mark with the straight.

I wanted the straight but did not want the BS and maintenance associated with it. it is working great. my first 2 shaves were a blood bath, my third was amazing, no cuts. this evenings, had a few nicks and one that was more than a nick. admittedly a few drinks in and not giving it respect it deserved. Got the DE down pat now, just need to dial in the straight / shavette. I am very impressed with the end results of this feather. minus the nicks which will go away in time.

Top Bottom