What's new

DE / SE conundrum: What's the best "auto-pilot" razor?

Great looking razor no doubt, I love the stand... that said, for me it was tough to manage, as you need to maintain that perfect cutting angle to obtain a close shave. BBS was a challenge, so definitely not an "auto-pilot". Smooth - YES, efficient - NO. I gave mine to my son. He's very happy with it.
It does take awhile to get the knack of cutting angle with the lovely-but- mild Feather AS D2,but after that muscle memory kicks in-- one of the reasons I prefer to stick with one daily razor. For those desiring a reliably consistent BBS shave, other razors, including straights , may be more likely to reach that goal.

It does take awhile to get the knack of cutting angle with the lovely-but- mild Feather AS D2,but after that muscle memory kicks in-- one of the reasons I prefer to stick with one daily razor. For those desiring a reliably consistent BBS shave, other razors, including straights , may be more likely to reach that goal.
I get that, but the theme of this post/discussion is talking about "auto-pilot" or if you wish "super-intuitive" razors. Having to master certain muscle memory IMHO doesn't make a razor auto-pilot. AS-D2 has a very VERY narrow useful cutting angle. I used mine for months, it was as struggle always. So, yes it CAN be mastered, but it is NOT an easy-to-use razor.

The "aggressive razors" you mentioned usually have front blades exposed, so you must be careful; although "mild razors" have neutral exposures, they must maintain an angle due to the narrow gap.

Inferring from my personal experience, "low exposure + large gap" may be the answer; this will reduce the over-stimulation from the blade, and at the same time have an enlarged automatic angle and high efficiency.

My list:
Best Autopilot──wolfman wr2-1.05
Add a bit of blade clarity──razorock gamechanger-0.86 / rozorock lupo ss 0.96
Reduce a little efficiency in exchange for more gentleness──timeless ti-0.68

"Small gap + open comb" is also a very effective cheating, which is gentle to improve efficiency and intuition.
So my waiting list is:
feather as-d2 cap with the base plate of gillette new sc
razorock gamechanger 0.68 oc

I added a photo "feather as-d2 cap with the base plate of gillette new sc". The two-color appearance is also very beautiful.
View attachment 1312825
My face prefers razors that have a moderate blade gap and a neutral blade exposure, like this Timeless .68.

The idea of this post was basically to find out / compile a list of:

1) other razors that share similar design/characteristics (neutral exposure, moderate gap)

2) what people prefer in terms of brands and razor (head) design

I appreciate your input.

DE: Gillette New Improved, Gillette Fat Boy, Gillette Aristocrat, Gillette Super Speed
SE: GEM 1912, GEM Flying Wing, GEM 1914, 1907-1913 Ever Ready/GEM Lather Catchers
Many may claim the Gillette NEW as the pinnacle for Gillette for ease of use and being able to get an autopilot shave, but I find the New Improved razors far superior to the NEWs due to the more rigid design--I have to pay particular attention with the NEW razors and of the two head designs, the Long Comb is more likely to cut/nick me than the Short Comb.

Gillette Aristocrat (4th Gen) Made in England

IMG-0240.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I would say Gillette Skinguard 100% autopilot and for number of passes it would outdo most DE's that are "autopilot" simply because the angle is maintained perfectly at all times.

That said, I have one and rarely use it as I like closer shaves. I'm an R41 type guy. I like efficiency. For DE autopilot I would probably say DE89, R89 or similar. ASD2, no, simply because it requires a very precise angle.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
For me...the RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72 falls into this category. The Timeless .68 is also pretty good at it. I have the same model you do. Just recently started shaving with a Wolfman WR2 SS SB 1.15...its not cheap, but the results have been...eye opening. I think between the RR Lupo razors and the Wolfman...I'm content...for a while.

Another vote for the Vector and a Kai blade, in my case Captain Titan Mild Pink. Not as smooth as my Tatara Masamune paired with a Feather blade, but much more efficient and so much more maneuverable.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Feather AS-D2. Never have had any problem divining the optimum angle. I just seem to naturally find it. Still can't figure out how to cut myself with it.

I believe that within limits, a tool can teach you how it likes to be used. I've found it to be true with razors, firearms and fountain pens. Pay a bit of attention initially, then it all becomes second-nature. If not, use a different tool, lest you always find yourself in conflict--a battle the razor will always win.

Blackland Sabre is my top autopilot razor followed by Timeless Ti .68. The Sabre and I just seem to click. I am very interested in seeing if the Vector would fit the bill, because I only use these "autopilot" razors at the moment.

Top Bottom